• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

First car

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
United States United States
I was on another forum earlier and this topic came up.

Don't have a picture of my first car (thank god). It was a 1968 Chevy Nova (Chevy II), granny green with a baby shit gold top. Crappy bucket seats with bean bag chairs for the back seats. No carpet or door panels. The rear wheel wells were air chiseled out to make room for the N50R15 tires mounted on chrome reverse wheels all jacked up in the back. What a pile of crap. It was fast though. After I built a new 350 when the oil pump pickup fell off the original 327 one week after buying it. I was a hot rodder in high school. One of the guys I went to school with and raced with is Dean Antonelli. Dean is a crew chief for John Force racing. His dad used to race fuel alterds and also drove the Paddy Wagon wheel stander. Our local drag strip had high school drags on Friday nights to keep us off the streets in Tucson Az. and we won almost every week.

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
My First Car was a 1974 NOVA. Built 350 Jade Green Black interior Cragar SS Wheels. I was a hot rodder too.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
This is identical to my first car, color and all: 71 Jeepster Commando SC1. No power anything, put my own stereo and speakers in it...loved it!!
207231-1000-0.jpg

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
My first car was a 1981 Datsun Maxima I bought for $700. It was a 5 speed, after a 10 minute driving lesson my dad said follow me and I drove 2.5 hours home to Eagle from Denver.

Good times were had in that car. I drove it like the general lee!

WWBDD

Supporting Member
Feb 15, 2013
Country
Canada Canada
Wait, what ... you guys have cars?

J.P.C.

Aug 31, 2010
Cape Town, South Africa
Country
South Africa South Africa
my first car was a 1995 Ford Tracer 1.3 Manual - sound in the car was worth more than the car.....now I drive Subaru's, actually I get paid to drive them:D:p....perks hey, so I don't have "personal" car.

getting a new Subaru today or tomorrow....:cool:

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
This '77 model was the first car I owned. Built by GM's Australian subsidiary. Bought it second hand from the company my dad worked for at the time. High mileage. Underpowered 6 cylinder. 3 speed auto. Vinyl seats. No air-conditioning.

648332-holden-kingswood.jpg

It was sorta reliable but I wasn't sorry to see it go. I didn't bother to take any photos of it. Nothing memorable about it.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Mine was a 1965 Pontiac LeMans "Sports Coupe". :) Eventually I put a 455 HO from a wrecked TransAm Firebird in it, but the gas crisis did it in. Wish I had that motor back, though, it would be worth a fortune.

I just bought my 2nd car back: a 1970 Datsun 240Z that is a real rust bucket now.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
1988 Chevy Cavalier RS Sedan. Bought it used from my father for $0. All I had to do was replace the starter, head gasket, oil pan gasket, alternator, entire ignition system, and fill it with gas. Oh...and find a few buddies to push it home from where it got towed to after it died.

Every time I shut the door it got faster.

Anyone guess how?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Still waiting for Limp to recite the story of his first chariot.
You asked for it....
Started driving farm trucks at about age 10. First car I drove back and forth to town and school was a '49 DeSoto. Road like a tank!!! First car I owned was purchased with money I'd earned working for neighbor farmers during the summers. '56 Chevrolet. The '56 had the small block 265 engine with "3 on the tree". Ordered a 'Spark-O-Matic' floor shifter from J.C. Whitney and moved the column shift to the floor. Totaled it when I hit a bridge in June '65. Met the beautiful lady who would later become my wife the very next week. Everything was going bad that month!!! Have told her that many times over the past almost 50 years. (And, I still have the scars to prove I reminded her once too often!!!)

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
1988 Chevy Cavalier RS Sedan. Bought it used from my father for $0. All I had to do was replace the starter, head gasket, oil pan gasket, alternator, entire ignition system, and fill it with gas. Oh...and find a few buddies to push it home from where it got towed to after it died.

Anyone guess how?
You lost more rust???

OP
azgreg

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country

Anyone guess how?
One of those cars whose value depended on how much gas was in it.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
One of those cars whose value depended on how much gas was in it.

Pretty much. I sold it to my grandma for $200. It had an oil leak right above the starter and would go through starters about every 6 months. So I got REALLY good at changing starter in that car. Always seemed to be a blizzard when my grandma would call me....'The starters out again, hunny. Would you mind changing it for me?' Sure grandma...I would love to...

I've told this story before, but I used that 200 and 600 I had saved up to buy my next car. A 1991 Nissan Sentra Coupe. Eventually got rear ended in a 4 car pile up. Got an 1800 check from the insurance company after buying the car back. Fixed the muffler for $50 and drove it for a couple more years. Then...just as the gas prices were going through the roof I had this bright idea to sell that car for $500 and buy a heavy ass, rear wheel drive, V6 mercury cougar with leather interior. Got about 24mpg. The sentra sat around 40.

The intelligence of a 19 year old. However, I bought that Cougar for $2100(less that the money I made off my last car) with 93k miles on it, and drove it till 180k miles with nothing more than normal maintenance.

🔥 Latest posts