1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

First-Time European Tour Winner Sebastian Soderberg: 'I Was Shaking the Last Few Holes'

Discussion in 'Golf News' started by Dogfish Head, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Dogfish Head

Dogfish Head Well-Known Member TEA is my HERO

United States United States
    Admin Post

A WILD OMEGA EUROPEAN MASTERS in the Swiss Alps ended with a playoff. It was a fivesome of all things. And it included World No. 2 and FedEx king Rory McIlroy.

The other four who tied at 14-under 266 weren't exactly the usual suspects. Their names and rankings were
    Kalle Samooja (300), Andres Romero (735), Lorenzo Gagli (513) and Sebastian Soderberg (287).

Soderberg of Sweden won with a birdie on the first playoff hole. It was his maiden victory on the European Tour.

Judging from his comments, the Swede might still be in shock.

"This is tough to describe," Soderberg said. "I was shaking the last few holes.

"I calmed down a bit for the playoff, but now I don't know what to say. I actually didn't play my best today, but my chipping and putting was unbelievable. And it was so exciting to play with Rory. This really hasn’t sunk in yet.

"All I really tried to do was just keep going. I didn't really watch the leader board until the last tee. I hit the first putt on 17 too firm, but I'm proud of myself being able to play good when I was shaking so much. On the 18th, I just tried to focus on hitting two more good shots. There was not as much pressure in the playoff. I had nothing to lose. I was way more calm then I was over the last few holes."

Soderberg, now exempt through 2021, called his new status "life-changing."

[​IMG]

Source: First-Time European Tour Winner Sebastian Soderberg: 'I Was Shaking the Last Few Holes'