• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

First tournament of 2013

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
My season opener was held at Pumpkin Ridge, which is where the LPGA plays the Safeway Classic and is where Tiger won his '96 US Amateur. It's a pretty amazing course, but in March it is soupy. Lots of rain and no sunlight keeps it soggy so we saw lots of plugged balls.

8:30 tee time turned into 9:00 then to 9:30 thanks to a frost delay. It was 37 degrees when we finally teed off. It was a shotgun start and I started on 16 which is a short par 3. I skulled a wedge over the green and a chip and two putts later, I was +1. I chipped in on the next hole for birdie though, so back to even... that's about all the good news I would get during the next 16 holes.

My ball striking was atrocious to say the least. 1 OB and 1 water ball led to two doubles. I hit one fairway all day. Let me repeat that... ONE fairway hit. I had four GIRs all day. 1 fairway and 4 GIRs does not allow for good scoring. Add 35 putts on top of that and you've got a recipe for disaster (many of those putts were from the fringe). I had only two birdies all day, the second one coming on our last hole where I actually got a GIR.

There were 134 players, 34 of which were in my flight. I shot 81 to finish tied for 17th.

I give myself a D- this time. :(

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Pumpkin Ridge?! Wow, that's awesome man! Nothing wrong with an 81 at PR in 37* weather...especially since it was your first event this year. I say, well done ma man...nothing at all to be ashamed of.

I can't wait to get out there and mix it up in competition. Unless something comes up, I don't have anything going on until May though.

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Yeah, I've hit 2 buckets since last October and with the frost delay I got to hit 9 balls before we teed off. Guess that wasn't enough practice. :D

Next tournament is April 13th. I should probably hit the range a few times before then...

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
My season opener was held at Pumpkin Ridge, which is where the LPGA plays the Safeway Classic and is where Tiger won his '96 US Amateur. It's a pretty amazing course, but in March it is soupy. Lots of rain and no sunlight keeps it soggy so we saw lots of plugged balls.

8:30 tee time turned into 9:00 then to 9:30 thanks to a frost delay. It was 37 degrees when we finally teed off. It was a shotgun start and I started on 16 which is a short par 3. I skulled a wedge over the green and a chip and two putts later, I was +1. I chipped in on the next hole for birdie though, so back to even... that's about all the good news I would get during the next 16 holes.

My ball striking was atrocious to say the least. 1 OB and 1 water ball led to two doubles. I hit one fairway all day. Let me repeat that... ONE fairway hit. I had four GIRs all day. 1 fairway and 4 GIRs does not allow for good scoring. Add 35 putts on top of that and you've got a recipe for disaster (many of those putts were from the fringe). I had only two birdies all day, the second one coming on our last hole where I actually got a GIR.

There were 134 players, 34 of which were in my flight. I shot 81 to finish tied for 17th.

Tourney for college?

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
So how was the course? ...besides being damp.
The course is in great shape. The greens were putting true and decently soft, fairways were healthy (at least that's what it looked like from the rough) and the rough was heavy and bloated with water but in good shape. Unfortunately, the holes were a couple of days old so the lips were rolling inward in spots; that kind of bugged me.

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Got my first tournament this Friday. An Easter Classic being played at my home course.
Whipped out 9 holes last night for a bit of practice and shot an even par on the back 9. Never done that before and just wish I can emulate that in a couple of days.
The golf gods are no doubt laughing hysterically at me right now lol.

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Got my first tournament this Friday. An Easter Classic being played at my home course.
Whipped out 9 holes last night for a bit of practice and shot an even par on the back 9. Never done that before and just wish I can emulate that in a couple of days.
The golf gods are no doubt laughing hysterically at me right now lol.
That's certain death for me. Every time I've played a practice round before a big tournament, I've played great golf. And the once the tournament starts....

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I don't usually keep score during my practice rounds. I know how I'm hitting the ball. I always play by myself. I spend a lot of time on the greens. If I'm not real familiar with the course I'll take a lot of notes in my yardage book. A game plan is really important to me. I'm a nerd like that.

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country

HAHA, so funny to look back.

This year started very similarly, except the frost delay lasted until 10:15. I even started on 16 again, but this time I hit a solid SW to about 10 feet.

My ball striking was fantastic this time, with the exception of my driver. For some reason I kept hitting it thin and off the heel.

No OB, no water balls, but only one birdie (hole 9, which I consider the hardest one out there. Solid 5w off the tee and an easy 6 iron from 173 to about 18"). I had 31 putts and very few FW, but plenty of GIR. I carded nothing worse than bogey.

Out of 135 players, 33 in my flight (0-9 hdcp) I shot 77 to tie for 8th.

This year I give myself a solid B.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
tumblr_lx6ttwhgPS1r9x0sdo1_500.gif

🔥 Latest posts