• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fitting, Ho'ing and de-ho'ing

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Brief summary - could play golf quite well - went to shit....got R9 iorns to help, took lessons, got better, decided to get back to a forged iron and went for a full on proper fitting.

Less brief tale of fitting and new toys....

I booked myself a fitting at a fairly local joint and headed up with a completely open mind. I have been to some low places with my golf over the last year or two and have learnt that a beautiful, shiny iron is of no use if you can't hit it worth a damn. My only goal was to find a club that had worked best for me - if it was uglier than Cinder's sisters I didn't care, if it worked I was having it. I also wanted to get all my woods and wedges sorted while I was there. Obviously as a ST ho of some note I was pretty excited about the whole affair but did battle to keep the head ruling that old ho heart as I drove up.

On arrival I had a look at the irons on display....yikes....Nakashima, KZG, Scratch, TM, Mizzy and Titliests were all there, glistening away and looking gorgeous. I hit quite a few and narrowed it down to the Nak NP2s, KZG EVolutions and Scratch EZ-1s. All are forgiving with a lovely feel.

Part of this was of course trying out a few different shafts, the Nippon Super Peening (Orange) was just perfect for me. Right weight, kick point and flex, and with all those 3 heads I could have been a very happy ho camper indeed.

I talked about it with the fitter and went for the KZGs. So now it was onto the woods...driver needed no change but the two fairways and the hybrid certainly did. Light and stable was the key for me and the Oban Devotion produced the best results. Tightest dispersion, good distance and it just felt right. The JVLN shaft for my hybrid fitted the same bill, so that was in for the ride too.

Wedges were left behind to be Nipponed up and lengthened a little for me and I left for the hour's journey home.

After about 7-8 minutes it started to happen...something was wrong....my mind started nagging me about one of these sets of irons that produced great results and felt that little bit special....."Shut up" I told it, "I have made the sensible decision, a solid feeling, forgiving forging that was just right for my game".....my yells were ignored. On it continued, like the episode of The Simpsons where Bart and Lisa repeatedly ask Homer "Can we go to Krustyworld?" and just like the bloated, lovable buffoon, I caved in.

I pulled over and rang the fitter, "I need to change my order" I told him. My order was changed and bank account took a secondary hit. 10 days later I returned to collect my re-shafted woods, upgraded wedges and a new set of Scratch EZ-1s. They felt so lush I was forced into having them by my conscience. I knew if I didn't I would regret it and although it was a fair bit more loot I didn't want to compromise.

After a few rounds now I'm so glad I did. They have it all in my opinion; looks, forgiveness and a feel that is beyond belief. I don't care if they 1018 or 1020, I don't care that they cost more than a small bungalow and I don't care if noone at my club knows what the hell they are. I do care that they have helped me get excited about the game again and I do care that I love playing with them (sometimes even on the course...).

Now of course I need to finally get round to parting with some of my old friends, Hogan FTXs, Miura 201s, my Del Mar 3.5 and a few other odds and ends (well, 3 drivers, 2 wedges, another 2 putters and a hybrid) because this is it. The bag is set and the fun part is back again. R9s have already been sold to a friend so the hit is being eased piece by piece. It will be a sad day when I box up the Hogans for someone and a slightly forlorn one when say goodbye to the Del Mar but it has to be done. Someone should be using these instead of them sitting in my spare room playing gin rummy and drinking dry sherry whilst talking about the old days. It's time I set them free.

I do obviously have 1 final ho in progress but that's for another day. Must run as it's my go at the rummy table and the Miuras don't like to be kept waiting after a few glasses, they turn nasty.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I love the feel of my SB-1's.. The EZ's are pretty friggin nice too. Nice appeal at address! People will known of Scratch as a higher-end "boutique" like club. True "custom" in almost every sense.

I used to ho', but I've since slowed really. Noticed that changing clubs and such, really wasn't helping, but I've found that it really wasn't hurting. I dropped my index a bunch this year, and I'm on track for single digits. All it did was erase any non confidence I had in any clubs. I hate my hybrid, and can't hit it worth a damn. I hook it every time I swing it, and just can't stand it. I tossed it in the closet, and put my 3 iron back in, and no problems since.

I did however, pick up a true, tour issue Project X 6B6 graphite shaft for my R9 SuperTri and Super Deep.. It's one of, if not THE best purchase I've ever made in golf. The shaft has completely changed my tee game, and fixes any issues I've had.. Just flat bombs with this shaft, and it's soooo smooth, it's stupid. Ironically, it's an X-flex, when I normally play Stiff!

The Oban shaft you picked up is hot-stuff.. It's a seriously nice shaft, and quite popular with the tour guys too!

Show some pics of the new irons, and those shafts!

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I'd wait to do the sell of there Stanters. I just took a bath on a set of FTX's I sold and a TEE 3 wood. I'm still kicking myself for listening to Clugnut :) I went to ebay with them, 30 day buy it now or best offer listing. Nothing! Not a bite on the FTX's. Listed them again on ebay, 9pm sunday night-7 day auction with $.99 opening bid. Now keep in mind these were Hogan FTX's, shafted with DG S300 shafts, 4-PW and in decent shape. Still one of the better feeling irons out there. Guess what they sold for? $69 freakin' dollars!!! I wanted to melt into the floor when the auction closed. Oh well, you win some you lose some!

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Hey Stanters, thanks for going to the effort with your post. It is fascinating to read a comprehensive fitting experience. If they're fitted to you & they work, time to take some anti-ho pills so you can resist the temptation in future. ;)

🔥 Latest posts