• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Football/Soccer Q for non Brits

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
Do any of you chaps around the world have any slight allegiance to any English Football clubs? If so why?

I'm a Liverpool fan myself and as such I'm expecting the replies (if there are any) to be mainly Manchester United as they seem to have the advertising and PR game sussed.

chollyred

Mar 9, 2006
No real allegiance to any clubs, but used to watch a fair amount of English League Football. It seemed like Manchester United games were always on. Do they get more airtime than the other clubs?

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I have have always been a fan of Arsenal. Probably in large part to the same PR you mention for Manchester United. I have just always prefered the style and players of Arsenal. Although the majority of the games I get here only involve Arsenal, Manchester United and Chelsea so my choices are kind of limited. No sense in cheering for a team I don't see. :)

Will be sad to see Bergkamp go.

OP
EnglishGolfer

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
chollyred said:
No real allegiance to any clubs, but used to watch a fair amount of English League Football. It seemed like Manchester United games were always on. Do they get more airtime than the other clubs?

They did up until this season when they have gone off the boil in a big way. A lot of their fans deserted them when that Malcolm Glazer chap got involved (of Tampa Bay Buccaneers fame)

OP
EnglishGolfer

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
Ravenous Bugblatter Beast said:
I've become kind of fond of Wigan Athletic, who are making good show of their first season in the Premiership.

Good call. I think most fans of other clubs have a new respect for them seeing as they have no money and their players don't dive all over the place like a bunch of girls

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I have an friend here who grew up in England..has lived in the states for 20+ years.

Huge Arsenal fan. I watched a match with him once and really enjoyed it...I learned about the promotion/relegation concept which I think is really superb.

Other than that, I know nothing about the sport other than it is #1 in the world...the interest in the U.S. is growing ever so slowly but is getting there.

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
Bravo said:
I have an friend here who grew up in England..has lived in the states for 20+ years.

Huge Arsenal fan. I watched a match with him once and really enjoyed it...I learned about the promotion/relegation concept which I think is really superb.

Other than that, I know nothing about the sport other than it is #1 in the world...the interest in the U.S. is growing ever so slowly but is getting there.
Yeah, could you imagine baseball here using promotion and relegation?

Bloody heck, MLS, for our soccer here it would be cool if there was promotion/relegation. But they're trying to build from top down instead of bottom up.

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
I love to watch English Premier League, but again, watching Fox (the chief network promulgator of soccer in the US) it's hard to get a full appreciation for all of the teams. The idea of promotion/relegation has merit indeed, as is obvious when one watches the difference is skill level with teams at the bottom of the league versus the top. That being said, it is fabulous to watch particularly gifted players, like Thierry Henry, Ruud Van Nistleroy and Cristiano Ronaldo. Yeah, OK, mostly Man U

Another player who I find particularly entertaining to watch is Man U's Wayne Rooney. When I first saw this kid play, I couldn't see what all the hubub was. But this kid is tough as nails, creates really well on the fly, and is surprisingly fast in transition. A lot of fun.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I have a URL link to the Saints homepage only because I had a friend from England visit and use my computer.

Other than that, I could care less until World Cup time.

R35

OP
EnglishGolfer

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
Ravenous Bugblatter Beast said:
It's a more primitive form of football that wasn't able to evolve into in a higher species like it did here in America.

Now that's just plain silly talk! IMHO the best thing about US football is the film "The Waterboy", other than that it just seems a bit random.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Malcolm Glazer is an evil toad. I wish the ManU fans would boycott every home game and send him home. What a travesty.

I'm not partial to any one English team, although I watch as many Premier League games as I can on TV. I was in a bar (tavern, pub) last year for the final, drinking pints at 11 am with a lot of fans. Good match. Great fun.

I was hoping that our Major League Soccer league team, The Mutiny, would do well, but they just couldn't draw enough fans and closed down the franchise after three years. But I got to watch Carlos Valderrama play - what an amazing player. For those who don't know, but might care, Valderrama was the Columbian National Team's greatest player ever. And Columbians take their soccer very seriously. He was as big as Michael Jordan. Absolutely a wizard on the pitch.

Watching the Premier League, I realize how far US soccer has to go, in terms of the quality of play. The National Team did well in the last World Cup, though. I thought they acquitted themselves nicely against a very good German team.

The one thing I don't like about soccer is the hooliganism and the racial bigotry. Throwing bananas on a field and making grunting noises when a black player has the ball is just inane. And anyone who threatens the well-being of another fan, regardless of who they are, should be immediately arrested for assault. Put a police officer in every section if need be. Stop serving alcohol at the games if necessary. Whatever it takes. Soccer is a thinking man's game and shouldn't be tarnished by the actions of the ignorant.

I like American football. But soccer is for those who appreciate the greatest athletes in the world playing a most difficult game.

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
EnglishGolfer said:
...other than that it just seems a bit random.

Actually, American football is anything but random. Plays called on every down. Very little room for creativity, in fact. It's all about having a job, and knowing what it is. Once you have the ball, you can be creative. Until you get it, you better be where you're expected to be when you're expected to be there.

Pretty much the opposite of soccer.

Plus, you get to call time out when things don't look just right. Great concept, no? ;)

🔥 Latest posts