• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Football/Soccer Q for non Brits

OP
EnglishGolfer

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
Farquod said:
Actually, American football is anything but random. Plays called on every down. Very little room for creativity, in fact. It's all about having a job, and knowing what it is. Once you have the ball, you can be creative. Until you get it, you better be where you're expected to be when you're expected to be there.

Pretty much the opposite of soccer.

Plus, you get to call time out when things don't look just right. Great concept, no? ;)

I had a very brief dalliance with the game in my school years which was good for a laugh because I got to duff up all the small kids legitimately. Ultimately I just think it seems odd to base a team game almost entirely on one member (the Quarterback). Also the timeout concept just seem to stop games from flowing. There is a lot to be said for the entertainment value in mistakes made by sports people when they are reaching the end of the game and are physically drained from persistant effort.

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
EnglishGolfer said:
Also the timeout concept just seem to stop games from flowing. There is a lot to be said for the entertainment value in mistakes made by sports people when they are reaching the end of the game and are physically drained from persistant effort.

I'm with you. Once you really study the game a bit and begin to understand it, it's hard not to get hooked by it. As noted by Eracer, soccer players are easily the best conditioned athletes in the world, particularly those that play at the highest levels. I am always amazed at just how much juice these guys have left after 90 minutes of constant running on the pitch.

I caught the end of the Everton-Fulham match on FSN late Saturday night, and to see Fulham, who was clearly outplayed the first 80 minutes, come together and in the last 10 minutes put on a surge that resulted in 1 goal and could easily have produced at least one more is a testament to how well conditioned these guys are.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I watched the highlights of a recent Arsenal match. All I can say is - Thierry Henry is amazing!

OP
EnglishGolfer

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
Adam Pettman said:
Thierry Henry is good but he is no Rooney

I'd have Henry before Rooney in my team any day, he's proven himself at every level many times, what more can you ask of a player?

I can't recall the stat' that said how many miles David Beckham covers in the average England game, but it was a lot more than you'd think. Also its not like you can pace yourself like you would in a race of the same length. But then again, I should bloody think they can manage it for that money!
icon10.gif

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Henry is the best player in the world at the minute, without question, well Ronalinho would be close 2nd. But Henry's speed is amazing, he is so sneaky and just those sneaky bottom right finidses are class, the keeper doesn't have a clue what to do.

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
No, I agree, Henry is very crafty. He's just always where he needs to be, and puts the ball in the back of the net with a lot of regularity. Just another day at the office for him.

I do think that opponents sh!t themselves when they see Rooney heading at them full speed, tho.
hihi.gif

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Farquod said:
No, I agree, Henry is very crafty. He's just always where he needs to be, and puts the ball in the back of the net with a lot of regularity. Just another day at the office for him.

I do think that opponents sh!t themselves when they see Rooney heading at them full speed, tho.
hihi.gif

LOL you saw that guy he looks like shrek anyone would shit themselves if they say that comming at him.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
"Scuse my ignorance, but what team will Thierry play for in the Cup?

OP
EnglishGolfer

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
Farquod said:
hihi.gif

That's because they think they're about to be mugged

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Soccer is pretty basic isn't it? Kick the ball until it goes in the net? Didn't play it growing up, as we here in the piney woods had never heard of it. The kids nowadays do play it, as I see fields with those net things everywhere.

Could someone please explain rugby, cricket, and Australian football to me?

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Eracer said:
"Scuse my ignorance, but what team will Thierry play for in the Cup?
that would be france but hopefully he will not play too many matches

Come on England

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Adam Pettman said:
that would be france but hopefully he will not play too many matches

Come on England

What chance do a team that can't even beat Northern Ireland have in the World cup?:p

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
we were having an off night that night
is it true they changed bbc1 into bbc 1-0 for a night coz thats just taking it too far although NI did play well

lildudejds

Shut up ya dumb beaver...
Supporting Member
Aug 2, 2005
i like liverpool...and i also like the rangers...all though they arent in the Premier League...but i would love to see a Rangers-Celtic game!

But overhear in america nobody cares about soccer:( so i cant watch any good games....

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.