• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Football/Soccer Q for non Brits

OP
EnglishGolfer

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
SiberianDVM said:
Soccer is pretty basic isn't it? Kick the ball until it goes in the net?
Kick the ball in the net, hit the ball in the hole with a stick, throw the ball to the opposite end of the field, put the balls in the pockets etc. They all sound simple when put like that but that's why they appeal to the masses, when was the last time you sat down with a beer to watch chess?
icon12.gif

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
EnglishGolfer said:
SiberianDVM said:
Soccer is pretty basic isn't it? Kick the ball until it goes in the net?
Kick the ball in the net, hit the ball in the hole with a stick, throw the ball to the opposite end of the field, put the balls in the pockets etc. They all sound simple when put like that but that's why they appeal to the masses, when was the last time you sat down with a beer to watch chess?
icon12.gif

Watching the movie "Searching for Bobby Fischer". Greatest chess movie ever made. Seriously, though - it was a good (beer-drinking) flick.

OP
EnglishGolfer

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
Eracer said:
Watching the movie "Searching for Bobby Fischer". Greatest chess movie ever made. Seriously, though - it was a good (beer-drinking) flick.

Wow it sounds great I'm going to go and rent it tonight. I can't wait to see it! Imagine a film about chess, the sheer rapture!

Sarcasm just doesn't quite come across in text does it?
icon10.gif

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
EnglishGolfer said:
Wow it sounds great I'm going to go and rent it tonight. I can't wait to see it! Imagine a film about chess, the sheer rapture!

Sarcasm just doesn't quite come across in text does it?
icon10.gif

It does when I match John Cleese's voice with the word's on the screen...

Now, take my word - rent the flick...

OP
EnglishGolfer

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
Eracer said:
It does when I match John Cleese's voice with the word's on the screen...

Now, take my word - rent the flick...

LMAO. That's brilliant, I even laughed at my own comment when I imagined his voice saying it. Some might say that's sad, I'd be one of them.

golfman2760

Aug 25, 2005
I support the Premier League

I HATE Chealsea and my favourite team are Liverpool.
Liverpool fans have to be the loudest,most supportive and most passionate of all of England

if I even go to England I wouldnt mind catching a game at the famous Annefield

golfman2760

Aug 25, 2005
SiberianDVM said:
Could someone please explain rugby, cricket, and Australian football to me?

no offense but it craps over most of the sports you like to watch

everytime I watch American sports it always seems like the game has just finished or they are having a break or its quater time or some crap like that

you should try watching the game's you have mentioned and learning the rules

in Rugby League they dont use protective gear except for maybe a mouthguard

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
SiberianDVM said:
Could someone please explain rugby, cricket, and Australian football to me?

Rugby: Burly men beating the crap out of each other, then becoming bestest friends. Kind of like Boxing.

Cricket: Burly men throwing things at each other. Then hitting those things with a piece of wood. Kind of like Baseball.

Australian Rules Football: Burly men (are we seeing a pattern here?) beating the crap out of each other long enough to see a man in a funny white suit throw his arms in the air. Kind of like American Football.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
lildudejds said:
i would love to see a Rangers-Celtic game!
quote]

Safest to watch it on TV. If you want to watch at Ibrox it will cost about £25 for a Ticket and around £200 for body armour.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Adam Pettman said:
lildudejds said:
i would love to see a Rangers-Celtic game!
quote]

Safest to watch it on TV. If you want to watch at Ibrox it will cost about £25 for a Ticket and around £200 for body armour.

I was thinking of trying to squeeze in a match on my trip to Scotland next month. Are you saying I shouldn't wear my American Flag shirt to the game?

I guess the season will be over by May 25th anyway. Any idea whether I might be able to see any post-season games?

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Eracer said:
Adam Pettman said:
I was thinking of trying to squeeze in a match on my trip to Scotland next month. Are you saying I shouldn't wear my American Flag shirt to the game?

I guess the season will be over by May 25th anyway. Any idea whether I might be able to see any post-season games?

You'd have a better chance gettin out of Ibrox alive wearing an American flag than an Irish flag :hunter:

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Dave Ireland said:
Eracer said:
You'd have a better chance gettin out of Ibrox alive wearing an American flag than an Irish flag :hunter:

Yeah, I hear you. It's the one thing I absolutely hate about the sport. Hooliganism and racism. Though I think FIFA's latest World Cup BS about taking points away for fan racism is ridiculous, I do think something has got to be done to ensure that ALL fans are safe at EVERY match. Fearing for your life because you support a team is just inane.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
A question for all the Scots out there who pay attention to soccer. I'm travelling to Scotland May 24 - June 10 and would love to see a real match. I notice that the Rangers end their season May 5th. Are there any post-season games that my friends and I could catch? A link to a website showing some Scottish games for that time period would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Dont think there are any matches on at that time but. You can come and have a kickabout with my mates if you want or you can just pay to watch
:) :) :)

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Adam Pettman said:
Dont think there are any matches on at that time but. You can come and have a kickabout with my mates if you want or you can just pay to watch
:) :) :)

Unfortunately, I can't play anymore. I tore the ACL in my left knee about 15 years ago, and didn't get it repaired. The doc told me I could easily live without it if I didn't play soccer, baseball, tennis, basketball, volleyball, or go skiing. I asked him, "what about golf?" He said it shouldn't be a problem, and it never has been.

As for paying to watch you and your mates play...well, I'd be happy to buy you a pint after the match.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.