1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

football?

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by Wheelerm, Oct 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wheelerm

Wheelerm GET IN THE HOLE!

does anybody on this site like football?, i mean english football not american football?

2. Wheelerm

Ok i guess not, what about American football?

3. Big Brother Dunk

Big Brother Dunk Well-Known Member

I realize that football is the most popular sport in the world. Nonetheless, most of us on this side of the pond aren't big fans.

Despite that, the game is growing at the grass roots level and more and more kids are playing the game all the time, so perhaps the popularity is growing.

4. Tiger Who?

Tiger Who? Well-Known Member

You mean NFL right, I love football. I have fantasy leagues and every sunday, I sit by the couch with the tacos in one hand and a drink in the other. It doesn't get much better than that. Then, the Jets lose so I eventually throw the remaining tacos.

5. Scotty01292

Scotty01292 Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......

No, not NFL. What the americans call soccer...

6. Tiger Who?

Tiger Who? Well-Known Member

You need to sit down

7. Davebud

Davebud Crackhead Zebra

Played Soccer for 11 years

Still can't stand watching it. Never played americann football other than at the park or in a buddies yard, watch it every week its on. I will even watch the Fire or Galaxy games out of Europe. Loved playing hockey as a kid in Maine, can't stand watching that either. Some sports are just more TV friendly.

8. Scotty01292

Scotty01292 Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......

Why do I need to sit down?

9. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

Speaking of American football, I went to the Alabama - LSU game yesterday. It was a gritty affair and we lost in an agonizing overtime period...still really fun though...a carnival atmosphere before the game and a funeral atmosphere afterward...

10. bdcrowe

bdcrowe ST Homeland Security

See, Bravo? if UT didn't suck so bad, I'd be running smack on ya'. :D

11. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

They've had one of those nightmare seasons where nothing goes right and then it all just snowballs downhill...getting worse and worse.

There's always next year...

12. bdcrowe

Yep. And you can be proud of the season the Tide is putting together. UT found out first hand how dangerous the LSU offense is. UA shouldn't hang their head at a defeat to them.

13. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

It was an interesting day. Four of us went down, 3 Tiders and a Tiger. Before the game, I talked with my cousin who is also an LSU grad...

No losses are easy to take but all of us Bama fans really felt - They Had Better Players! It is not like we really did not try our best - they just have more talent on the field than we do...

So we're waiting for Next Year like everyone else...

14. Wheelerm

Any team from any league i just thought they America's on this site would think it was American Football

15. bdcrowe

Does rugby count? 'Cause ya'll's rugby offense is offensive. :D
    eye1. eye2.

16. Golf Monkey

Golf Monkey Well-Known Member

Soccer's for *****'s, that's why so many women play it in the US, most footballers would get murdered on a rugby pitch, Terry Butcher's one of the few exceptions tho.

Gaelic games, now that's a real mans sport, players getting fingers and ears lobbed off with hurling bats.

17. irishtiger

irishtiger Well-Known Member

You make it seem so barbaric!
    Hurling is the world's fastest field game. I've played for 30 years and never got my finger or ear taken off.
    If you play properly you never get hurt by a hurley. It's a real mans game you must be able to stand your ground like a man.
    Soccer players, of course, would get hurt playing hurling, you know...they are the ones that get thrown in the air if another player bumps off their elbow

18. usa1950

usa1950 Divots like a 72 Playboy

I adore soccer/football, the greatest game in the world. Think about this.... the last World Cup Final, in 2006, had MORE worldwide television viewership than the last TEN Super Bowl Games COMBINED.

You cannot deny that it is far and awya the World's most popular sport.

I grew up in St. Louis, one of the hotbeds of American Soccer. I've watched the USA play World Cup Qualifiers or friendly matches 10 times, travelling around the midwest. I have not missed a USA game on TV in more than 10 years..... recording it if I have to. I was at MLS Cup 8, about 15 MLS matches in Chicago or Columbus, OH, NCAA matches, and I watch Liverpool Football Club on TV or online every chance I get. I see 80% of their matches, and of course, all the big ones, Champions League, etc. Fox Soccer Channel is wonderful.

Euro 2008 was a fantastic tournament! I saw at least one match most days. When the World Cup rolls around, I usually take a week of vacation (I get four, so it's not big deal) to take in all the first round games. Love it.

Sure, soccer is not terribly popular in the US, but it is growing. It won't ever surpass the NFL, MLB, NBA, or the big college sports, but soccer fans don't want that, we just want a little more coverage, highlights that are more accessible, a few more matches on TV, etc. MLS teams are building their own stadiums, whic his a great thing. The game is growing, adn it's wonderful to see.

19. Eracer

Eracer No more triple bogies!!

Great post. I never paid much attention to the UEFA Cup until this year. I will from now on. It was an awesome tournament. Congrats to Spain for winning with class.

20. eclark53520

eclark53520 DB Member Extraordinaire Supporting Member

United States United States
    HOLY thread resurection batman...

I am like most americans...i like seeing how much weight i can gain during any particular NFL game...cant stand watching soccer, its kinda like watching grass grow with an english accent...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.