• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Forged or Cast? Players clubs vs game improvement?

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
The age old question. Forged or cast? Players vs game improvement? I'm sure it's been asked before but wanted to get the opinion of the group. I know the difference in the manufacturing methods between forged and cast but is there a performance advantage between the two?

I have a set of Ping G2's (4-lw) that I love but there isn't a ton of feel or workability with them. I also have a set of MacGregor 1025c (3-lw) that keep trying to make their way into my bag.

Will playing a less forgiving iron help make me a better player by giving me more feedback or would I be putting myself at a disadvantage by gaming clubs that are harder to hit???

Practice won't be an issue, my goal is to be a single digit capper by next summer. Currently sitting at 14.1. Looking forward to your feedback.

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
I recently started playing old forged irons. When you strike well they feel amazing. When your off they punish you. Directly they won't make you better, but because you have to have a good swing they will force you to improve. That being said I'm hooked on how good forged irons feel.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Forged is the best gi club because it allows customization for learning. Cast is best for players as they can hit hard enough to float the angles on soft iron and must recheck the spec from time to time if they chose to stay in them. For example delofting/debouncing in winter because of thinner lies and thicker air into which the ball does not flie as well. Then changing back in the spring.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Yeah I hit cast for similar reasons tm rocketbladez tours... But I do love to toy with my forged 588s. Love those rtx forged wedges

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Forged is the best gi club because it allows customization for learning. Most cast can be bent just as easily as forged on the very same machine. As far as game improvement, the casting process allows for significantly more perimeter weighting than does forged. Cast is best for players as they can hit hard enough to float the angles on soft iron and must recheck the spec from time to time if they chose to stay in them. For example delofting/debouncing in winter because of thinner lies and thicker air into which the ball does not flie as well. Then changing back in the spring. If you change lofts from season to season, you have waayy too much time on your hands. "Thicker air"? What about harder fairways that give more roll?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I switched from cast super GI irons to a set of forged MacGregor Players cavity back irons and my iron striking has improved immensely.

Starting out with some SGI clubs is fine, but once to the point where one can pretty much get clean contact on the majority of swings, switch to some more player oriented clubs. It will help groove your swing since it's giving you feedback on poor shots. Sticking with SGI irons longer than that will hinder your advancement.

JMO of course. I know I stuck with SGI irons WAY too long simply because I didn't think I was good enough to hit a players iron. Fact is, if you never hit one, you'll never get good enough to hit them consistently.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
The forged vs. cast argument is about as aged as is Baptist vs. Presbyterian. There is NO correct answer. Some prefer forged. Some prefer cast. If one stood head and shoulders about the other, that is what you would see on Tour. Instead, there's a pretty solid mix of both cast and forged in the hands of the professionals.

Cast is much more durable than forged. The grooves on my 1995 Pings are about as sharp as when new... after well over 1,000 rounds. Similarly played forgings would have well worn grooves.

I've enjoyed my Titleist 690mbs and Mizuno MP29, 32, and 33s. If I were to purchase a new set of irons today, it would probably be a set of cast Pings. However, I would never rule out any high end set of OEM clubs simply because of the manufacturing process. I would purchase the set that I believe would afford the most benefit to MY game and MY enjoyment of the game.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Limp
Around here winter comes wet. Things arent that hard. And going to 40 from 95 make a density difference in the air. It does breathe better though.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I play forged because.............

ai_chzbgr_com_maxW500_6772694272_hEA5F8CFD__.jpg

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Cast is much more durable than forged. The grooves on my 1995 Pings are about as sharp as when new... after well over 1,000 rounds. Similarly played forgings would have well worn grooves.
Didn't realize that was the case, but yeah... my 1992-ish Tommy Armour 845s irons still have crisp grooves. I'm pretty sure I'll be buried with these things.

OP
Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I am torn, because I am becoming a much better ball striker but when I'm off with my Pings I still get within striking distance of my target. I WANT to be the best player I can be, I believe a nutted shot with both will be pretty close distance wise. I think shots not nutted with the 1025's will give me instant feedback and I can make adjustments, where similar shots with the Pings won't offer the same "lesson." I have been alternating at the range with both but have only gamed the Ping's. I know there isn't a magic bullet and your feedback has been great. I guess my question now is, what would you do if you were me???

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I am torn, because I am becoming a much better ball striker but when I'm off with my Pings I still get within striking distance of my target. I WANT to be the best player I can be, I believe a nutted shot with both will be pretty close distance wise. I think shots not nutted with the 1025's will give me instant feedback and I can make adjustments, where similar shots with the Pings won't offer the same "lesson." I have been alternating at the range with both but have only gamed the Ping's. I know there isn't a magic bullet and your feedback has been great. I guess my question now is, what would you do if you were me???
Stick with the Pings. I have played Hogan Apex Blades, Apex FTX and Nike forged irons. Your bit giving up a noticeable amount of feedback with cast vs forged.

Now, you could go to a more "player" like iron like the Ping S series or the I series (i10, i15) to take the next step. Seriously though, I play i3 blades and hit them better than any forged iron and frankly didn't lose much if any feel.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online