• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Frequency Matching

Qballgreg

Jun 4, 2017
Country
United States United States
Call me an old timer, but I was at a golf event this evening and bumped into a Taylormade rep who told me that Frequency Matching isn't done anymore. That was news to me, as I have been doing it for 10 years. Is this manufacture BS, or has the ground changed beneath my feet while I wasn't looking?

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
I don't know but I'd guess that shaft manufacturing might have improved to tighter specs and/or the industry discovered that variance doesn't really make enough difference to justify the expense of the process?

OP
Q

Qballgreg

Jun 4, 2017
Country
I don't know but I'd guess that shaft manufacturing might have improved to tighter specs and/or the industry discovered that variance doesn't really make enough difference to justify the expense of the process?

Good point, and I would buy into your explanation if there were industry standards, which there are none. The best scenario would be that manufacturers do not need t meet any type of standard at all....

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
The early Brunswick shafts promoted the frequency matched theory. True Temper had a tight hold on the steel shaft market. True Temper pushed "weight matching"... hence S100, S200, S300, S400, etc. Brunswick felt frequency matching was as important as weight matching, if not more so. And, it gave them a marketing "gimmick" to compete with True Temper. Brunswick carried the frequency matching into their extremely successful "Rifle" line of shafts.

As graphite shafts began to make headway in the driver spectrum, we saw significant differences in frequency of the shaft bending even though shafts might have the same torque rating. You could have an "S" flex Grafalloy in one club, order one for another, and it react quite a bit differently. Same manufacturer. Same flex rating. Same torque rating. Most all professional clubmakers then began to frequency test shafts. By frequency testing, they were more able to match specific requirements of individual players.

Over the past few years, we have seen shaft manufacturing technology perfected by leaps and bounds. The professionals who can usually detect as little as a single gram of weight difference in swingweight, static weight, or shaft weight still may demand frequency testing. 99% of we who play this game for entertainment, frustration, or because we're not smart enough to play checkers could not tell the difference between a fairly wide range of frequency numbers. Yet, frequency matching does give something else for those who feel their game is helped by having shafts frequency matched that option. I would never tell someone to not match shafts if that is their preference. I have used lead tape on many clubs over the years, not enough to make one iota of difference in my game, just enough to have the subconscious believe it does.

OP
Q

Qballgreg

Jun 4, 2017
Country
Frequency matching shafts? Hmmm...seems like marketing wank to me.

Have a Clubmaker put your clubs on a frequency machine while you are watching, and you will feel quite differently....

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Have a Clubmaker put your clubs on a frequency machine while you are watching, and you will feel quite differently....
How does a frequency machine mimic my swing? We're not talking about swing weight nor flex are we? Like, we're legitimately finding the resonant frequency of the shaft and somehow adjusting that? I fail to see how knowing or matching the resonant frequency of the shafts makes any difference...but I've been wrong before.

I'm not saying it doesn't help...I'm saying 99% of people probably not nearly good enough to see any difference.

OP
Q

Qballgreg

Jun 4, 2017
Country
How does a frequency machine mimic my swing? We're not talking about swing weight nor flex are we? Like, we're legitimately finding the resonant frequency of the shaft and somehow adjusting that? I fail to see how knowing or matching the resonant frequency of the shafts makes any difference...but I've been wrong before.

I'm not saying it doesn't help...I'm saying 99% of people probably not nearly good enough to see any difference.

Should you have a favorite iron, as an example....a frequency machine can determine the actual stiffness of that club in cycles per minute (cpm). Your other irons can be adjusted (in most cases) to be the exact cpm as your favorite iron (on a curve since they are different lengths), thus a 'frequency matched set'....so every iron is the exact stiffness. Just because the label on the club says 'r' for regular doesn't mean it's actually regular, nor does it matter, as the important thing to identify, is what frequency (stiffness) is right for you....then replicate thru the set.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
My favorite iron is the one I put a good swing on. I have hit great shots, and terrible shots with all of the clubs in my bag.

Again, I'm simply not good enough to know the difference.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
My favorite iron is the one I put a good swing on. I have hit great shots, and terrible shots with all of the clubs in my bag.

For me, it's the same with golf balls. Golf forums seem to attract weekend hackers who claim they only play [insert premium brand ball] because of its [insert bullsh!t claims]. I guarantee that when I put a good swing on a two or three piece ball, the outcome will be good enough and probably indistinguishable than if I had hit a ProV.

Last edited:

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.