• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

From Pain to Joy: Reflections on Tiger Woods' 15th Major Victory

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
I WAS DRIVING EASTBOUND ON I-64 during the final round of the 2019 Masters. I had attended my aunt's funeral in southern Indiana. Now my wife and I were heading home to Virginia after a difficult and emotional week for our family.

Somewhere east of Louisville my cousin called.

"Hey, are you watching the Masters?"

My wife and I laughed. Yes, we are.

I had the live stream on my phone perched between us on the console. I could easily listen to Jim Nantz and others describe the action as the contenders navigated Amen Corner and the finishing holes. But it was hard to watch the Masters while I drove the interstate. I tried, though, stealing glances at a putt, a tee shot, a pitch. My wife kept telling me to watch the road. I am, I am, I said.

As Tiger Woods later said in Butler Cabin, the leaderboard flipped at the tricky par-3 12th hole when four of five players, including Brooks Koepka and Francesco Molinari, hit their tee shots into the water. Through patience and experience, Tiger jumped to the top of the leaderboard and went on to win his fifth Masters and 15th major championship.

For the first time Woods won a major by coming from behind, and his fifth Green Jacket represented the longest victory gap in Masters history. Tiger's comeback has astonished nearly everyone, including himself.

While I was eating a late lunch in Lexington, Kentucky, my brother-in-law phoned from Seattle. He expressed condolences and then mentioned the Masters. Yes, I knew what happened. Now the Internet is going to blow up, I joked.

Late that afternoon, after checking into a hotel, I was able to watch the last two hours of the encore broadcast of the final round. I saw the historic drama unfold shot by shot.

The images that stood out for me were at the finish, when Tiger tapped in on 18 and raised his arms and soon after beamed in Butler Cabin. His face said it all, covered with expressions of pure joy and an unabashed smile that reminded me of that 18-year-old kid who shook this same glorious ground in 1997.

Tiger has been carrying a lot of pain for a long time, and not only in his back or his knee or his Achilles tendon. Just like he was lauded like no other when he was on top of the world, he was kicked like no other when he was down.

Maybe Tiger will win more majors. Maybe he'll catch and pass Jack Nicklaus, who has 18.

Whatever happens, it's hard for me to imagine a more important and redemptive victory for Tiger Woods. Nearly everyone is cheering once again. The pain has turned to sheer joy.

Source: From Pain to Joy: Reflections on Tiger Woods' 15th Major Victory

Members online

No members online now.