• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Full circle/eating crow/idiot

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Over the last couple of years, I have found myself more and more intrigued by the idea of custom or "boutique" putters. I have gravitated away from drivers and woods, which are great and fun to buy, flip, try, swear at and own.

In the past, my opinions on putters has come full circle. Many moons ago, the idea of owning a Scotty Cameron putter was sickening to me (and still is, but for other reasons). Now, I am not that shocked when I see them and quite often try them at the shop. I would have never even reached for one in the past based on sticker shock alone.

But, my thinking has changed. The idea of personalizing and building a custom putter for your swing, no matter how shitty it might be, could really be one of the best things for your game. I practice my putting about 1000% more than I ever have in the past, and for good reason.

I mean, we use this thing A LOT. You might get 14 drivers in a round if you're lucky/stupid. Yet, we pound that SOB at the range because it's fun to launch range balls into the next county. Then, when our name is blared over the speaker as on deck, we quickly run over and tap 6 putts and we're "warmed up".

I never thought I would be in this position. I really didn't. I like to think of myself as an above average putter. I LIKE to work on my putting. So, does it not make sense to have a putter that is designed and fit to your game to help out?

Look, there are some lunatics out there that spend gobs of money on putters, and I am even fine with that. How one man wastes his money is his prerogative. I just think a bit more thought, and in some cases, more money needs to be spent on a flatstick. That's not to say that the $3 garage sale find from 1986 isn't the holy grail. Just in my experience, I have yet to find that holy grail. So, here I am. At the point in my journey where a custom fit putter could theoretically be in my bag.

I feel dirty.

R35

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I already have several putters. I don't need another one.

Well, today anyways.

R35

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
You are a good putter, and your practice has shown in your game. I'm actually becoming more and more on board with this. The last two years I lived on a golf course. At least five nights a week I chipped or putted and hit wedge shots. Only then did my handicap really drop. Lower than it probably should be to be honest.

I will also make this argument. We all have strengths in our game. I think we hurt ourselves when we spend an inordinate amount of time working on our weakness and therefore end up virtually ignoring our strengths. Obviously this is not to say we should never try to strengthen our weak areas, but I think if you're a solid driver, keep it going. Work on it. Spend some dough on it, refine it. If you are a good wedge player, then become even better. If putting is your thing, spend your time and money on ruling that part of your game.

None of this is to discredit your point. Your point is well taken and true. It just sparked a thought I've had for a while.

Can't wait to roll the rock with your Betti!

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
You and me both.

If it sucks, I'm deleting this thread. :D

R35

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
You and me both.

If it sucks, I'm deleting this thread. :D

R35

I'll tell you what is going to suck. When you roll them in with it and I get worse. THAT, is going to suck. Then I'm deleting my posts off this thread.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I dig the post and completely agree, with what I've spent chasing the magic putter, I could've just got fitted and been done with it. Smh.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Scotty's hold value better than any other club by any mfg. Never understood the issue people had with them.

It will be the day that I buy any club worrying about future value. I play golf, not hang it on my wall.

I know that doesn't strike a chord with Scotty collectors who just hide them in the closet. But that's my feelings on the subject. To each their own.

R35

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Scotty's hold value better than any other club by any mfg. Never understood the issue people had with them.
They're made in Chinese sweatshops where tyrannical masters whip the children with rusty chains that have nails welded to it.

Enjoy your "Scotty."

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online