• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Gallbladder removal - anyone had theirs out?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
After a couple months of brutal gall stone attacks, I'm now fast tracked for surgery and currently awaiting the knife.

Anyone here had theirs out or is close to someone that had? Seems pretty straight forward and not the invasive.

Spending your weekends doubled over in pain connected to a morphine IV is not cool, contrary to popular belief. I can't wait to get this mofo out.

R35

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
From what I gather it's all routine stuff these days, keyhole etc. You'll be a new man in no time. Good luck with it.

Oh and make sure they don't wheel you into the transgender surgery ward by "mistake"!

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Shoot...lady at work here just had her hip replaced about 3 weeks ago and she's in here walking around like nothign happened...you're worried about a little gall bladder getting removed?

But seriously...it's minimal...never had it done, but they have this down pat.

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
Had my removed 10/6. At the follow up the Dr said I had 29 stones max diameter of 12mm. The recovery is pretty easy. I worked from home the first 4 days after surgery and was back in the office the following Monday.

Kept a bland diet the first couple of weeks after surgery and haven't had any issues since.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Good luck, my friend!

If things don't go well, I get your clubs!!!:D

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Thanks guys. I'm not super worried about it, I'm just researching at this point. As some have mentioned, it's pretty inevasive. Doc says it's 5 days rest, and a week of easy diet, and then Arby's galore. (Funny, as I mentioned to him about Arby's as a joke and his response was "Yes, that's no problem. You can eat at Arby's. Although, I wouldn't recommend eating Arby's. At all." LOL.

No transgender surgery for me. I'm pretty happy with my proportionately sized unit. Although, some nice chesticles might be nice....

Gall Bladder stones are a weird thing. Typically speaking, if you're a big fat mofo, you're likely using the gall bladder more often than a skinny dude. So, you don't sludge up and get stones. And, if you're fat, and you decide to get skinny, that can cause the onset of an attack as you're overdoing it with your fat burn.

So, basically, you should just be a big fat mofo, because you won't get gall stones. :D

R35

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I've been in at least 100 laparoscopic gall bladder removals and I can assure you it's one of the safest procedures to be performed in expert hands. It's a very easy operation and recovery is quite fast. The only thing you have to take care of its your diet. High fat foods will kill you (not literally, they will just give you the worst ache possible and make you throw up), but with a regular diet your life will continue just as normal as it was before

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I've been in at least 100 laparoscopic gall bladder removals and I can assure you it's one of the safest procedures to be performed in expert hands. It's a very easy operation and recovery is quite fast. The only thing you have to take care of its your diet. High fat foods will kill you (not literally, they will just give you the worst ache possible and make you throw up), but with a regular diet your life will continue just as normal as it was before

Interesting. Both doctors that I have spoken to about this have told me otherwise. After a month or so of easing back into it, you're basically fine. Just need to give the body time to realize that it's not getting bile at the rate that it was post-surgery, just a slow drip. And my understanding is that higher fat meals result in softer stools and can borderline on diarrhea.

Am I to believe otherwise? Obviously, your mileage may vary, but your comments from the information that I have gathered is to the contrary. Not saying I don't believe you, just curious is all.

I have a pretty solid gut, or at least I used to.

R35

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Interesting. Both doctors that I have spoken to about this have told me otherwise. After a month or so of easing back into it, you're basically fine. Just need to give the body time to realize that it's not getting bile at the rate that it was post-surgery, just a slow drip. And my understanding is that higher fat meals result in softer stools and can borderline on diarrhea.

Am I to believe otherwise? Obviously, your mileage may vary, but your comments from the information that I have gathered is to the contrary. Not saying I don't believe you, just curious is all.

I have a pretty solid gut, or at least I used to.

R35

Your liver is in charge of cutting down fats. The gall bladder helps as it accumulates bile pigments to act when you consume high levels of fat. Without the bladder the rate at which fats are cut down into tri-acyl-glycerols is much slower since the liver is "left alone" on this task. That means with higher fat content your liver will take much longer to cut it down, giving you a feeling of extreme fullness (which can cause discomfort) for a longer while.

It is true Your body adapts to it with time, but in my experience (it can be different with some people I guess) patients tend to end up with more "delicate" stomachs after surgery

Water and fiber content make stools softer. The "hardness" is related with the amount of time the stool stays in the intestines, since water is absorbed all the time. The more fiber the less time the less water loose. the more water, well, that's self explanatory hehehe

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Thanks X. I appreciate the notes. I'm a pretty healthy eater on the whole, but I do like ribs, pizza, and that sort of crap from time to time. Moderation is key, and likely moreso going forward. Which sucks, but I am willing to make that compromise. I mean, I can still indulge, I just can't eat an entire pizza now if I wanted (and not that anyone should for that matter.)

I got the call this morning for my consult with the surgeon. The admin woman said I must know someone or have pictures to be put up the list like I did. I head in Dec 1, then it's any time I can get in after that.

Can't wait to get this done. I don't want to ever have an attack like I did last weekend ever again.

R35

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Are there early warning signs to this issue or is it jus extreme pain one day and an ER visit?
I think it's basically like when you joined ST: no warning, just sudden, gut-wrenching pain. Rock can confirm this I'm sure.

🔥 Latest posts