• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Gary Van Sickle: 'Revising History with USGA's 2-Hole Playoff'

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States

IMAGINE IF THE USGA HAD BEEN USING the new two-hole aggregate playoff throughout U.S. Open history instead of the 18-hole playoff (and earlier the 36-hole playoff).

That's what veteran golf writer Gary Van Sickle did in a clever piece for MORNING READ.

Sickle rewrote U.S. Open history based on the two-hole playoff. It turns out that bridesmaid Sam Snead won the U.S. Open after all. Sorry, there was no miracle at Merion for Ben Hogan. Arnold Palmer recovered from his epic collapse to edge Billy Casper at the Olympic Club. And more.

Here's one fun snippet from Van Sickle's revisionist history:

Amateur hour … almost: The best underdog story that never was belonged to caddie-turned-amateur Francis Ouimet. He beat long odds to wind up in the 1913 U.S. Open playoff against two of golf’s biggest names, Britons Harry Vardon and Ted Ray, at The Country Club in Brookline, Mass. If the 21-year-old kid would’ve knocked off those kingpins, he might have been hailed as the father of amateur golf in America. Instead, the two-hole playoff format meant Ray was eliminated by the third hole. Ouimet gamely took Vardon to the sixth, where his par wasn’t good enough to beat Vardon’s birdie. Ouimet won a pair of U.S. Amateurs and played in eight Walker Cups, but he missed his chance at what could’ve been the greatest game ever played, had he won.

Source: Gary Van Sickle: 'Revising History with USGA's 2-Hole Playoff'

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
It raises an interesting point. I, for one, am not in favour of 18 holes the next day. I want to see it finished on the Sunday. Monday is a waste of time. Only 2-3 guys playing, crowds/atmosphere all gone. Yes, I agree, 18 holes is a true measure, but hey, they have had 72 holes to battle it out. Let adrenaline prevail. 2 holes allow it to remain exciting.

The biggest issue is light. Normally the final pairings are finishing with little time left for tie-holes. Ties up with TV etc. So perhaps if they started a little earlier? Don't know.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
It raises an interesting point. I, for one, am not in favour of 18 holes the next day. I want to see it finished on the Sunday. Monday is a waste of time. Only 2-3 guys playing, crowds/atmosphere all gone. Yes, I agree, 18 holes is a true measure, but hey, they have had 72 holes to battle it out. Let adrenaline prevail. 2 holes allow it to remain exciting.

The biggest issue is light. Normally the final pairings are finishing with little time left for tie-holes. Ties up with TV etc. So perhaps if they started a little earlier? Don't know.
I'm with you, I think it should be finished on Sunday.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I am fine with 1 hole sudden death. They had 72 holes of a true test to get it done and did not. Get it wrapped up and hand out the trophy as soon as possible.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
In Phoenix, in July, no drinking water allowed.
And Greg has to caddy for both players! Double loop!
giphy-downsized-large.gif

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I say they play a game of GOLF. Played in essentially the same way as HORSE in basketball. Ball must be placed on the green, and has to be holed.

Flip a coin, older player calls it in the air. Winner of the coin toss gets to play first. Winner takes all.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I’m fine with the the two hole play off. The reasoning for two over one is pretty clear. It would be a compelling little tourney in itself.

Better than the 3 hole Open Championship scenario. When Watson imploded vs Cink, the outcome was clear but it became excruciating.

Members online

No members online now.