1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Geezer Balls?

Discussion in 'Golf Equipment Talk' started by ualtim, Dec 3, 2016.

1. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

United States United States
    Worth a lot more to her dead than alive. She's probably buy doggie treats for the coyotes if they abducted me and returned me in multiple pieces!!

TheTrueReview likes this.
  2. limpalong

Have been called a "tough old bird" more than once.........:D

Fairwaysplitter3320 likes this.
  3. xamilo

xamilo Right Curving Driver.... Supporting Member

Let's not even go down the road of animals in urban areas or golf courses.
    I've lost balls on cliffs where you could see Nurse Shark fins at the bottom hehehehe

Australia is quite a funny place indeed....

4. ualtim

ualtim Carrollton, TX Supporting Member

Dicks is running a deal at the moment on the D2 Feel. They more you buy, the cheaper they get. 5+ 15 packs, just $9.99 per pack. Bought six in preparation for my annual golf attempt in April. Still have a bunch of my Strata Tour TL’s but my game has regressed to the point that they are hurting me more than they are helping me.

Day glo yellow so I can find them when they go astray. :D

MCDavis and PaPaD like this.
  5. PaPaD

PaPaD Club ho, geezer........ Supporting Member

I'm still on my first 15 pack. These might last me all year.

6. ualtim

I pretty much drained one 15 pack over 27 holes. Florida golf with water where it shouldn’t be on just about every hole with a rusty old guy do not mix well when it comes to golf ball preservation.

What I can say is that the D2 Feels performed flawlessly. When properly struck, I was holding greens which routinely Stimp Meter in the 11 to 12 range. My shots were straighter than with the 3 piece balls I had been using last year so my misses were further away from the houses I was able to miss for the third year running.

Great ball at a great price.

PaPaD, limpalong and TheTrueReview like this.
  7. PaPaD

Still working on my 5 pack of yellows.

8. bdcrowe

bdcrowe ST Homeland Security

Dicks runs various specials on TF Gamer Tour (Urethane) balls. Awesome ball if you can look over the fragile cover.

9. azgreg

azgreg "Don't count that." Supporting Member

Love the D2 Feel. It's my ball of choice. Dick's always has them on sale. Just picked up 3 15 packs for $25.

ualtim likes this.
  10. bdcrowe

bdcrowe ST Homeland Security

I'm initially scared to click into this thread every time I see it bubble back up to the top.

11. warbirdlover

warbirdlover Ender of all threads Supporting Member

Wilson zip golf balls. 24 pack for $20 and as long as most anything and they stop on the greens.

12. ualtim

I have been surfing the net on golf balls, again, and came across several well known folks in the industry talking about how everyone, even us lowly hackers, need to be playing multi piece tour balls vs 2 piece soft compression balls. They talk about 100 yards and in a high handicapper has to play more shots as they miss more greens and need the extra spin to recover. They talk about how 2 piece balls will not check up as fast as the multilayer balls and will not spin back on approach shots. In fact, most ball companies will not even attempt to fit you into a 2 piece ball during a ball fitting unless you specifically request it.

To be honest, I am not buying it. Playing tour level multi layer balls drove me away from the game. I bought gross after gross of close out Strata tour balls at Golfsmith tent events and played them exclusively for years. My game grew more and more inconsistent as the years rolled on. Drives going further off line. Short game distance control eroded. Greens in regulation decreased. Eventually, I stopped playing for a decade.

When I returned to golf a few years ago, I brought out the tour balls to play when I went down to Florida. Same results. A year later, I went back with some Top Flite D2 Feels and things started to go better. When I returned a few weeks ago with some Titleist Trufeel 2 piece golf balls things went even better.

So why I am playing better with 2 piece balls that the “experts” say are worse for my game?

With less spin, I am hitting my clubs more consistent distances. With higher spin balls, the spin numbers change more on miss hits and less consistent contact.

With less spin, my drives are traveling straighter. More fairways. Balls in the rough versus the woods or the water.

With less spin, my approach shots are straighter and are traveling more consistent distances. More greens in regulation, less tricky chips and pitches required.

Those fancy high spin check and stop pitches and chips require more constancy in contact than I can realistically repeat. When I was playing more often, it was easier to repeat, but miss hits still lead to larger distance deltas than with 2 piece balls.

Probably the biggest reason why I play better golf with 2 piece versus multi layer is because that’s what I learned the game with. When developing my game, the multi layer ball did not exist, it was 2 piece or wound balls. When I really started to play more golf, I was playing orange Top Flite II’s. My wedge and approach games were built around a ball with rollout.

Long story short, I disagree with experts.

For those still reading, I just wanted to give the thumbs up on the Titleist Tru Feel golf balls. I brought two dozen down to Florida for my father and myself and we’re quite happy with their performance. So much so, that my father will be switching to them from the Callaway Supersoft. I may eventually switch to them, but have decided to try the Snell Get Sum 2 piece balls. Snell is a former Titleist and Taylor Made golf ball engineer who decided to start his own company. Supposedly a high quality ball at a cheaper price as there are no endorsements and direct marketing. Will review them, eventually.

MCDavis and PaPaD like this.
  13. PaPaD

I read every media article with a grain of salt. I always suspect any article about equipment being sales-biased in some way. Nobody ever writes, this club (or ball) sucks......

14. ualtim

It’s not just media articles. It is the folks doing independent testing, the folks designing the balls, and the social media personalities that are testing equipment. Obviously, tour level balls work better for those that those that are better at the game. Most of the folks running independent testing are usually better at golf than the average hacker so there is likely some bias built in because of their level of skill.

I guess there is not a social media market for old, overweight, golf hackers reviewing golf products.:D

PaPaD likes this.
  15. MCDavis

MCDavis The Plaid Duffer Staff Member Moderator

Yes there is: ShotTalk! :D

16. limpalong

I believe the choice of golf ball needs to match your game... AND the course you play. Most of the time I play ProV's. I also like the TP5 by Taylor Made. We have postage stamp greens. When they are quick, it is durn near impossible to keep a "Top Rock" on them. I hit them as far and as straight as anyone else in our group. We have a couple holes where it is not uncommon to need to turn the ball over, right to left. I can do that with a ProV and not nearly as easy with a hard ball.
    Have played most everything over they years. Haven't purchase a golf ball in 20 years. Always play "found" balls. Dozens of them in the basement in egg cartons. Have not found a Callaway ball that seems to work. Three of the guys in my group play Chrome Soft Callaways. I give them every Callaway I find. One of our better players likes the Srixon Soft Feel.
    Read an article on golf balls a month or so ago. That article recommended choosing a ball and staying with that one brand/model. The writer said if you played a specific ball round after round, pretty soon you would know distance, reaction, trajectory, etc. and mold your game accordingly. He said if you changed from ball to ball, your consistency would go out the window. I tend to agree.

MCDavis, IrishGolfer and ualtim like this.
  17. ualtim

I agree with sticking with one ball if able. I have been keeping my Dad stocked with Supersofts the past few years and his game has improved. Switching him to Tru Feels as he likes them better. I usually send him 4 to 5 dozen for the holidays and bring more when I visit.

limpalong likes this.
  18. Hoganman1

Hoganman1 Active Member

Hey, it's a gift for your parents. Get them Pro-V-1s or Pro-V-1Xs. Dick's usually has last years models for $39.95. I'm a geezer and my kids always come through with Pro-Vs for Christmas, Birthdays and Father's Day.

19. ualtim

Went with Snell MTB Blacks. Brought my Dad a dozen when I visited earlier in the month to test out and he loved them. Sent 5 dozen to him for Christmas.

Fairwaysplitter3320 likes this.