1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Goals in golf

Discussion in 'General Golf Talk' started by csmartin85, Aug 26, 2012.

1. csmartin85

csmartin85 Member

On the bright side, tomorrow I'll be getting fitted for clubs of my own. I'm comfortable with the clubs I use now but I'm sure that playing with a set of my own will help a lot in the long run. Any suggestions on what I should look for? I'm not sure what the budget will be exactly, my uncle isn't the kind of guy who is hurting for money, but he's still pretty financially responsible. I know that he wants me to get good enough to be able to play for something though. I have a nice putter that I'll be keeping, but everything else is getting replaced.

2. Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer Golfer on hiatus. Supporting Member

United States United States
    I call em as I see em, sounds to good to be true it most likely is. And your mentioning that you will never meet someone from here reinforces my thought. Plenty of us here have met and played together...lot easier to separate those who tell the truth from those who come here and claim outlandish bullchit.

3. csmartin85

csmartin85 Member

Well if anyone on this forum lives in NC and would like to play a round with me then by all means let me know and we'll try to set it up. I've never been a part of any forum where I met someone off of it. Like I said before, if you don't wanna believe or just hate the fact that I have a natural talent for golf, then by all means post somewhere else. It's not like I'm coming on here saying "yeah just played my 2nd round of golf and shot 11 under with 2 aces and 375 yard drives". The best I've ever shot is 80, and I was on pace for 90 yesterday. If I play a full round without a shank or a drive that goes OB then I can play fairly well for someone who has played less than 20 rounds of golf.

4. SilverUberXeno

SilverUberXeno El Tigre Blanco

In his defense, what you're claiming as a new golfer is as absurd as someone stating they hit a 375 yard drive. Chances are, unless you're using a laser or a good gps, you don't hit it as far as you think (250-325). Shocking how far you DON'T hit it when you're using a device that can really tell. 260 is a good rip for the vast majority of golfers. Your scores are good by even seasoned golfer standards. They're a little uncanny for a new player. He's not so out of line questioning you.

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt. If you're full of it, no one gains anything, and I go on with my life. I hope you do have that talent. I wouldn't wish I'll on any new golfer. Cultivate it properly, and learn to LOVE putting. The best way to golf is to think about giving yourself the best chance to make putts, period. You have a good short game so you can set yourself up to MAKE PUTTS. You practice your iron game so you can get to the green and MAKE PUTTS. You hit the ball far so you have an easier iron shot with which to hit the green and...

Get the idea? You will never ever score well if you miss putts. Love putting. Don't like it, LOVE IT.

anonymous golfaholic likes this.
  5. csmartin85

csmartin85 Member

The distances I'm stating that I'm driving are coming off the scorecard, based on where I tee off from and where I land in relation. Homeplace has yardage markers from 200-100 yards from the center of the green. When I play with my uncle, he has a rangefinder and I use that if I feel like I hit a good drive. I understand the skepticism, but I don't really have anything to gain by lying. I love to play golf and I hope to be able to make something of myself through playing it.

6. anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic Refusing Recovery Supporting Member

I can totally see where Wi is coming from. Those are some awesome stats for a beginner. That being said:

When something extraordinary happens on the golf course, it's a shame to have to be reluctant to tell the story on a message board because of all the skeptics. The more awesome the feat, the less likely anyone will believe you.

If you do something that your proud of, post it. Don't worry about the skeptics.

Dogfish Head likes this.
  7. Unrepentant 60s kid

Unrepentant 60s kid Active Member

My goal was to be a .500 hitter at breaking 80, and at 65, I'm still close to being that.

This season I got out into the deep water and put up a 74, my best round in at least a decade. That's hardly typical, however. Dropping a putt for 79 is an elation, and frankly, always has been.

Playing several times a week as a retiree is helpful in keeping it together.

If I played mostly weekends as when I was still working, my game would have diminished a lot more, I'm pretty sure.

8. thekid65

thekid65 Well-Known Member

Without sounding like too much of an a$$hole here, and maybe this has been said already.. the OP, if averaging around 90, has no business playing from the tips. You will irritate quite a few golfers behind you if they're waiting on you. Just a little course etiquette tip. I don't care how far you hit your tee-shots, if you cant hit the green in regulation at least 50% of the time and consistently 2 putt from there, move up a set of tee boxes.

9. SilverUberXeno

I respectfully disagree. I feel like distance is the deciding factor on which set of tees to play. Some guys hit it long and would be playing driver-wedge on every par 4. Longer hitters use the back tees to force the rest of their clubs out of their bag. Driver / 80yd wedge gets old, whether I'm hitting the green or not.

You get to see more different shots playing an appropriate length course. You should be using most of your clubs, you know? If we're all in agreement that short game is everything, the length of the course shouldn't be so dependent upon scoring, no? Miss a green from 160 or 130, still trying to get up and down for par.

Longer hitters playing from the whites aren't getting to play golf, really, IMO. I respect your opinion and I see where you're coming from, but I disagree.

10. Wi-Golfer

Using driver off the tee isn't required, if someone is capable of using it and a wedge to get on a 400 yd par 4, then why not tee off with an iron or a 5 w? You still get to use all the clubs in your bag.

11. SilverUberXeno

Why don't we just hit PW all the way to the green?

A golf course should challenge length and shotmaking. If you're playing a course where you can hit 4i / 8i to the green all day, that's also not a long enough course for you. If you're taking less club off the tee, the second shot should be sacrificially longer. Golf is about managing risk. If you aren't being challenged in terms of length, you're missing part of the game. 4i/4i is a reasonable option. 4i approach sucks.

12. Unrepentant 60s kid

Unrepentant 60s kid Active Member

I'm inclined to agree with this. Although I generally dismiss the USGA as a gaggle of stuffed-shirt buffoons, I think that they're on target with their 'Tee it Forward" campaign.

Earn the right to move back with results on your scorecard. Or, just enjoy being sensibly challenged instead of clearly overmatched.

A grown man should be more secure than to need to prove machismo on the golf course of all places.

13. anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic Refusing Recovery Supporting Member

I love to play the white tees, it's fun as hell. Playing from the tips is fun but only because of the challenge. Wearing yourself out grinding all day to shoot a good score is certainly rewarding but I would rather go out and make a bunch of birdies in a more relaxed fashion.

Hell I played from the reds this year and had a blast. I felt like a stud, lol.

I say switch it up, depending on your mood. Whatever sounds like the most fun. Playing from the tips and getting your ass handed to you, just because of your ego, is not fun though.

14. azgreg

azgreg "Don't count that." Supporting Member

I've switched tees in the same round before. Picking individual tees based on each yardage.

15. BigJim13

BigJim13 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

The tee it forward thing is a joke, I don't get why the USGA thinks that moving the tees up will lower scores. If your short game is crap, and you are going to skull a chip, chunk it and then 3 putt, what does it matter if you were closer to the green for your second shot?

Pay my greens fees, then you can have some input into what tees I play. Until then, i will play the tees that challenge me.

What it really boils down to is DONT HOLD UP PLAY. If you're not holding up play you can dance naked down the middle of the fairway for all I care.

16. nututhugame

nututhugame Winter Sucks! Supporting Member

IF I hit less than driver off of the tee it's because accuracy is absolutely paramount AND it wont leave me hitting the same club or more from the fairway. I.E.- Very tight 375 yd. hole I will hit 3i assuming I will hit it 220, yet more accurate than any wood, thus leaving me 155 and hitting an 8,9, or even pw depending on conditions and pin placement.

I play the tips generally because it brings more hazards into play for me and will put more clubs in play for me. I am playing somewhere between a 10 and 15 hdcp at my home area courses. I generally play pretty quick and dont lose too many balls. That is about how I stand and my goals are to get better than that and find free golf.

17. csmartin85

csmartin85 Member

I only play from the tips because it provides the most challenge, and if I were to play in an organized event I was under the impression that you're forced to play from them. I understand golf etiquette and if I ever have anyone behind me playing faster I let them play through. That's only happened once, and it was almost a month ago. I play around 4pm so the course isn't as crowded, plus it's cheaper.

18. azgreg

azgreg "Don't count that." Supporting Member

My father-in-law is one of those "I paid for the whole course, I'm going to play the whole course" guys.

19. SilverUberXeno

I just stand by the fact that you should always be presented with risk/reward off the tee. You should really have to be hitting driver, and hitting it well, to put yourself into high-percentage scoring situations. If you're taking the less-distance more-accuracy approach, the sacrifice should be a longer, tougher shot into the green. Depending on which tees you're playing from, going 6i - PW all day might suffice. That's not proper golf to me. To each his own, though.

20. Wi-Golfer

16 rds, playing from the tips, driving the ball 325 and shooting damn near par...........sure sounds believable to me:rolleyes: You take lessons from the now dead Lil Kim of North Korea? I believe he reported that his 1st time playing the game he had something like 6-8 holes in one.