• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Goals in golf

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Using driver off the tee isn't required, if someone is capable of using it and a wedge to get on a 400 yd par 4, then why not tee off with an iron or a 5 w? You still get to use all the clubs in your bag.

Why don't we just hit PW all the way to the green?

A golf course should challenge length and shotmaking. If you're playing a course where you can hit 4i / 8i to the green all day, that's also not a long enough course for you. If you're taking less club off the tee, the second shot should be sacrificially longer. Golf is about managing risk. If you aren't being challenged in terms of length, you're missing part of the game. 4i/4i is a reasonable option. 4i approach sucks.

Unrepentant 60s kid

Aug 30, 2012
Without sounding like too much of an a$$hole here, and maybe this has been said already.. the OP, if averaging around 90, has no business playing from the tips.

I'm inclined to agree with this. Although I generally dismiss the USGA as a gaggle of stuffed-shirt buffoons, I think that they're on target with their 'Tee it Forward" campaign.

Earn the right to move back with results on your scorecard. Or, just enjoy being sensibly challenged instead of clearly overmatched.

A grown man should be more secure than to need to prove machismo on the golf course of all places.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
I love to play the white tees, it's fun as hell. Playing from the tips is fun but only because of the challenge. Wearing yourself out grinding all day to shoot a good score is certainly rewarding but I would rather go out and make a bunch of birdies in a more relaxed fashion.

Hell I played from the reds this year and had a blast. I felt like a stud, lol.

I say switch it up, depending on your mood. Whatever sounds like the most fun. Playing from the tips and getting your ass handed to you, just because of your ego, is not fun though.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I've switched tees in the same round before. Picking individual tees based on each yardage.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
The tee it forward thing is a joke, I don't get why the USGA thinks that moving the tees up will lower scores. If your short game is crap, and you are going to skull a chip, chunk it and then 3 putt, what does it matter if you were closer to the green for your second shot?

Pay my greens fees, then you can have some input into what tees I play. Until then, i will play the tees that challenge me.

What it really boils down to is DONT HOLD UP PLAY. If you're not holding up play you can dance naked down the middle of the fairway for all I care.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
IF I hit less than driver off of the tee it's because accuracy is absolutely paramount AND it wont leave me hitting the same club or more from the fairway. I.E.- Very tight 375 yd. hole I will hit 3i assuming I will hit it 220, yet more accurate than any wood, thus leaving me 155 and hitting an 8,9, or even pw depending on conditions and pin placement.

I play the tips generally because it brings more hazards into play for me and will put more clubs in play for me. I am playing somewhere between a 10 and 15 hdcp at my home area courses. I generally play pretty quick and dont lose too many balls. That is about how I stand and my goals are to get better than that and find free golf.

OP
C

csmartin85

Aug 26, 2012
I only play from the tips because it provides the most challenge, and if I were to play in an organized event I was under the impression that you're forced to play from them. I understand golf etiquette and if I ever have anyone behind me playing faster I let them play through. That's only happened once, and it was almost a month ago. I play around 4pm so the course isn't as crowded, plus it's cheaper.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
My father-in-law is one of those "I paid for the whole course, I'm going to play the whole course" guys.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I just stand by the fact that you should always be presented with risk/reward off the tee. You should really have to be hitting driver, and hitting it well, to put yourself into high-percentage scoring situations. If you're taking the less-distance more-accuracy approach, the sacrifice should be a longer, tougher shot into the green. Depending on which tees you're playing from, going 6i - PW all day might suffice. That's not proper golf to me. To each his own, though.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I've currently played 16 full rounds of golf. I played today and shot 80, but it could have been a lot better had I not rushed to accomodate a group behind me.

16 rds, playing from the tips, driving the ball 325 and shooting damn near par...........sure sounds believable to me:rolleyes: You take lessons from the now dead Lil Kim of North Korea? I believe he reported that his 1st time playing the game he had something like 6-8 holes in one.

OP
C

csmartin85

Aug 26, 2012
+8 isn't "damn near par", and it's the best I've shot. Everything else has been 85-90. As I said before, the 325 yard drive was a one time thing. If you'd bother to read before you come in here failing miserably at being a comedian then you'd know that. For the third time now, if you don't believe, don't post. I don't have any reason to lie.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Me thinks you done protests too much, 1st thing it's you're shooting 80 and shooting for par in less than a yr as well as 325 yd drives. Now it's back pedaling.

Trolls don't typically have any reason to lie other than it amuses them. Until I/we get confirmation from someone here that you aren't full of crap I will continue to consider you as just that, a Troll.

OP
C

csmartin85

Aug 26, 2012
Where have I backpedalled? I clearly stated I shot 80 and that I'd like to break par in a year. I clearly stated that the 325 yard drive was crushed and was on a hole where if you catch a good bounce down the hill, it'll roll out. I clearly stated that my drives are normally in the 250-280 range.

Think whatever you please. Anyone on this forum that lives in NC, I'd love to play with you. If you're as bothered by my progress as the guy above me and you shoot in the 80-90 range then it should be a fun outing. I'll even meet you halfway if you're not within an hour of where I live.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Where in NC are you? We were down in the Raleigh area a few years ago, first time I had ever seen cotton plants!

OP
C

csmartin85

Aug 26, 2012
I live in Winston Salem, but I have friends in Raleigh. There's a nice par 3 close to NC State that we played.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.