• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Goals in golf

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
Jim, you can't tell me that if u moved up and played the red tee boxes you wouldn't shoot substantially lower. I get what you're saying about short game and I agree, but I think most people will still play faster and score better from shorter yardages....regardless of skill level.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Better, maybe. Not substantially better though. If you're game from 100 yds and in isn't solid it won't matter which set of tees you play. Length isn't THE factor for the weekend hack. It's course management and short game.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
By better I am thinking one maybe 2 strokes.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I agree with Jim. When I am hitting greens I do it from 110 or 160. When I am not... the 110 might be a little better percentage, but not much. Poor ballstriking comes in days for me... it's not really a difference in clubs.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
How many times have we heard that the fastest way to lower your scores is to work on the short game? By moving tees up, you are in essence putting MORE emphasis on the short game. If its not solid, scores won't change all that much.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I think the idea of "teeing it forward" really just means, "stop hitting driver." The game is certainly easier when driver is a non-issue and you're only playing 300 yd par 4's. That's not really golf to me, though. You SHOULD have to hit driver. Or, hit a lesser club and have a much longer shot in (which is sometimes AS difficult as hitting a good drive).

Hard to hook a 6iron OB. Not impossible. I've done it. But it's less likely :p

Unrepentant 60s kid

Aug 30, 2012
I don't think that anybody is trying to tell anyone else which set of tees from which to play.

We're just exchanging our ideas, here.

As for me, 5800-6300 yards is all the golf course I need to have a good time.

I'm moving to a track that doesn't offer a choice.
One set of yardages.
One course rating.
One slope.

Field turf tees were put in to allow more resources going to bunker maintenance, something everybody complained about. I like them, and I like the improved bunkers.

out...3200....36

in.....3200....36

The place began life as a racquet club. Then management purchased from the town, rebuilt, and annexed the muni next door, and it became a golf and racquet club.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
A 415yd par 4 followed by a 475yd par 5 makes me giggle. 6,400 is pretty healthy. Looking those holes over, I do not have any issue with the layout depending upon the trouble one can get into. The 115yd 2nd ought to be very troublesome if the shot is off. #9 and #15 should also be TEMPTING the longer hitters, but very penalizing if that long drive isn't well placed. That's golf.

Unrepentant 60s kid

Aug 30, 2012
9 is accessible with a very massive drive. Not by me, mind you. It's a little uphill. I wouldn't reach it downhill. Even though with two of my best shots, I have a chance at all of the fives except #1.

15 is strictly an iron/wedge hole as far as I can see. It would require a hellacious hook, or a towering shot over trees. I imagine it may have been driven at some point, but I've never seen anyone try.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
So, you guys that say it doesn't matter what tee you play, want to play me for money. I play red tees, you play the tips.

And if it doesn't matter, why is the course rating different depending on what tees you play?

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
It is my understanding that the "Tee It Forward" program is to help with pace of play.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
So, you guys that say it doesn't matter what tee you play, want to play me for money. I play red tees, you play the tips.

And if it doesn't matter, why is the course rating different depending on what tees you play?
With your cap I wouldn't play you if I were on the reds and you were on the blues. Our point is not that we are that good. It's more like we're not good enough for it to matter. Honest to god I score no different from white to blue and at the course I play they are 3o yds difference. Hitting a green and having a long putt is equivalent to missing it and chipping it close for me. I score better by managing the course/my decisions and not compounding mistakes, no matter the distance.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I certainly see your logic and I'm not trying to be a troll. I just respectfully disagree.

I feel like the added distance puts enough pressure on your game to add a stroke every 2 to 3 holes. Don't tell me you can get up and down as often as you 2 putt. When you miss greens you deal with funky lies in the deep rough and sand. On the green you always have a clean lie. It might not make a difference every hole but it will catch up to you.

Also, who says you can get it near the green with a fairway wood/hybrid/long iron every time without going OB, in a hazard or some kind of serious trouble.

I invite you guys to go play from the front/red tee boxes sometime. Then step back to the tips. Be honest with us and post your scores.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
It is my understanding that the "Tee It Forward" program is to help with pace of play.

You're totally right. When you play shorter holes, (IMO obviously)it's easier therefore you play faster.

Go play a short course, then play a big championship course and tell me which round was faster.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I certainly see your logic and I'm not trying to be a troll. I just respectfully disagree.

I feel like the added distance puts enough pressure on your game to add a stroke every 2 to 3 holes. Don't tell me you can get up and down as often as you 2 putt. When you miss greens you deal with funky lies in the deep rough and sand. On the green you always have a clean lie. It might not make a difference every hole but it will catch up to you.

Also, who says you can get it near the green with a fairway wood/hybrid/long iron every time without going OB, in a hazard or some kind of serious trouble.

I invite you guys to go play from the front/red tee boxes sometime. Then step back to the tips. Be honest with us and post your scores.

I would invite u to do the same. I have and my score didn't change much at all.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.