• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Goals in golf

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Unless you are changing the length of the course by ALOT, moving up one set of tees isn't going to change your score that much.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I certainly see your logic and I'm not trying to be a troll. I just respectfully disagree.

I feel like the added distance puts enough pressure on your game to add a stroke every 2 to 3 holes. Don't tell me you can get up and down as often as you 2 putt. When you miss greens you deal with funky lies in the deep rough and sand. On the green you always have a clean lie. It might not make a difference every hole but it will catch up to you.

Also, who says you can get it near the green with a fairway wood/hybrid/long iron every time without going OB, in a hazard or some kind of serious trouble.

I invite you guys to go play from the front/red tee boxes sometime. Then step back to the tips. Be honest with us and post your scores.

I probably get up and down more often than I do two putt from 50 ft. or better. I know that means I need to work on putting, but that really is my situation. Distance wise there are not too many holes that I couldn't reach in two. Accuracy from tee to green would be more the issue with just about any club. So longer or shorter I have just about an equal chance of needing to get up and down.
It's funny that you post the challenge of playing a long and short course and comparing time and score because I have. Not necessarily with that point in mind, but I have. The course by my house is a par 35 with 3 par 3's and 3 par 4's of less than 300 yds. I shot my best (39) there and have shot in the mid 40's there as well. I play it quick because in total walking distance it is shorter and the course is compact (every hole has one or two holes parallel to it). I have also shot 39 and up to the mid 40's on another home course that plays 3490 per 9 from the tips. That takes me a little longer because it is considerably longer... as in, it just takes longer to walk 1,000 more yards. Not to mention it is not compact. From green to the next tee is longer walks, it's basically walking a big u, and the course is longer period. That is not as it relates to my game though because I still am hitting the ball about the same amount of times, just with different clubs. Believe me man I can shoot a 42 on just about any 9 and I can do it a thousand different ways.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Unless you are changing the length of the course by ALOT, moving up one set of tees isn't going to change your score that much.

You're right, a guy would hardly notice a difference in scores if he just moved up in small increments. That's why sometimes the course ratings for each tee might only change a point or two.

*I just pulled a scorecard out of my desk and the difference in the course rating from the white tees to black is 6 stokes. It's a 1079 yard difference...59.9 yards per/hole avg.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
You're right, a guy would hardly notice a difference in scores if he just moved up in small increments. That's why sometimes the course ratings for each tee might only change a point or two.

*I just pulled a scorecard out of my desk and the difference in the course rating from the white tees to black is 6 stokes. It's a 1079 yard difference...59.9 yards per/hole avg.
so you go from playing a hole at 300 to playing one at 360. Most weekend hacks will hit driver, slice it right. Hit their next shot wide or pulled and are now facing a 10-30 yd chip for their 3rd. Sound right?

All they needed in this very common situation was better course management, but lacking that a decent short game is needed.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Your example of 300 yards is short and I think the difference would be minimal. What if the hole is 400 yards from the whites? The approach shot for the average golfer would probably be 150 yards...but from the blues it would be 210 yards. A 7 iron is a lot less likely to go OB than a fairway wood, on average.

IDK, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Your example of 300 yards is short and I think the difference would be minimal. What if the hole is 400 yards from the whites? The approach shot for the average golfer would probably be 150 yards...but from the blues it would be 210 yards. A 7 iron is a lot less likely to go OB than a fairway wood, on average.

exactly my point. Moving up a tee box or 2 doesn't make you better at course management.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country

For me anyways 210 is not a wood. Depending on lie, wind, etc... it'd be anywhere from a 6i to a 3i. I can hook a 7i with the best of them and I hit a 7i long enough to get into trouble should that hook rear it's ugly head. Perhaps this means I need to get better with irons... especially mid - short irons because what I get from what you're saying is that I should definately hit more greens with an 8i than I should with a 5i.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006

Also, keep in mind while the average yardage increase would be 59 yds it would likely be less than that per hole depending on the par. For example if there are 4 par 5's and they each add 100 yds per hold going back to the next set of tees, well then there is only 600 yds for the remaining 14 holes. Roughly 42 yds per hole, so going from 400 to 440.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Also, keep in mind while the average yardage increase would be 59 yds it would likely be less than that per hole depending on the par. For example if there are 4 par 5's and they each add 100 yds per hold going back to the next set of tees, well then there is only 600 yds for the remaining 14 holes. Roughly 42 yds per hole, so going from 400 to 440.
Way too deep for me man.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
For me anyways 210 is not a wood. Depending on lie, wind, etc... it'd be anywhere from a 6i to a 3i. I can hook a 7i with the best of them and I hit a 7i long enough to get into trouble should that hook rear it's ugly head. Perhaps this means I need to get better with irons... especially mid - short irons because what I get from what you're saying is that I should definately hit more greens with an 8i than I should with a 5i.

I was generalizing for the average golfer. But yeah, everyone is different with different opinions and I totally respect your opinions. I see where you're coming from.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I only play from the tips because it provides the most challenge, and if I were to play in an organized event I was under the impression that you're forced to play from them.
This depends on the event. Most club tournaments and local events are played from the whites. Higher level tournaments go back to the blues and championships may get the tips, but not all the time. For example, next weekend I'm playing a "major" event limited to hdcps under 10 and I believe we are using a blue/black combo.

As for the "I paid for the course, I'm going to play the whole thing" concept... when I played Pebble Beach, you know damn well I played from the pro tees. :D

OP
C

csmartin85

Aug 26, 2012
I haven't been able to play all week which sucks. It's rained almost everyday and the day that it didn't, I had company and I wasn't trying to drag her out on the course to watch me play. I'm looking into finding a tournament or something to compete in, just to gauge how well I can do.

Members online

No members online now.