1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Goals in golf

Discussion in 'General Golf Talk' started by csmartin85, Aug 26, 2012.

1. nututhugame

nututhugame Winter Sucks! Supporting Member

United States United States
    It's not, "I have to play the tips to be challenged." It's, "I play the tips because it brings more hazards into play for me." And Augster, I get 4 or 5 on par 3's as easily as I do par 4's. Shorter does not mean easier. If one cannot hit a green with a short iron, or takes 3-4 strokes to get down from just off the green it makes what tee boxes they play less relevant. especially if they are a long hitter from the tee.

2. anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic Refusing Recovery Supporting Member

co-sign

I'm completely baffled why anyone would think differently.

3. TEA Time

TEA Time Grumpy Gilmore Staff Member Admin

Admin Post
    My goal is to replicate Ben Hogan's swing, without it looking anything like Ben Hogan's swing.

4. Augster

Augster Rules Nerd Supporting Member

I play a short course, 6371 from the tips, par 71. From the reds it's 5152, an 81 yard average per hole and I'd say that is more typical from back tees to front tees. More so on bigger courses. Your average lady can only hit it so far.

One also has to think big picture. In the short run, you will score similiarly as you have your current short game. Shorten up the course, and you will be faced with many, many more chipping/short pitch situations. The more practice you have at them, the better you will become. Long term, you'll end up with a better short game if you ever want to score from the upper tees.

And once you score well from the front tees, it'll make it easier to score from every set of tees as you will have honed your short game and your wedge game in order to be able to shoot even par 8/10 times from the front tees.

And if everyone did this, there would be no "shame" in playing the upper tees. It's like the 3-wheel push cart. 5 years ago you'd laugh at someone pushing one. It looked stupid on the course. Now I rarely see anyone walking that isn't using a 3-wheel, and now 4-wheel push carts. The stigma of push carts being only for ladies has changed.

So I do agree, that in the short term, a player would shoot scores from the front tees that would be within a shot or two of his average of from the "men's" tees. It's very immasculating. But over time, say 50-100 rounds, I would expect the player's average score to be substantially less. Their course management would be better and their short game would be better which are both skills that will transfer to all tee boxes.

5. csmartin85

csmartin85 Member

I played the front nine of Homeplace today and shot 43. I didn't hit my irons very well and my 3 wood was problematic again. On a positive note, I hit my driver well and putted well. It was my first round in a week and I felt a little rusty. I finished the last 4 holes par, par, par, par.

6. thekid65

thekid65 Well-Known Member

If he is hitting the fairway everytime, and having a wedge into every green, and still playing in the 90's, than he obviously needs the practice with his short game. I seriously doubt hes in the fairway all the time being how relatively short he's been playing. I'm wagering a lot of his long drives are significantly left or right, to where hes playing a lot more distance than 80 yds on his second.

I guess I just get very irritated playing behind a foursome that's playing from tee-boxes that are obviously well beyond their game. I expect people playing from the tips to be shooting in the 70's consistently...and if you arent, dont make me wait on you because you're playing beyond your ability.

7. BigJim13

BigJim13 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

[quote="thekid65, post: 379144, member: 5734

I guess I just get very irritated playing behind a foursome that's playing from tee-boxes that are obviously well beyond their game. I expect people playing from the tips to be shooting in the 70's consistently...and if you arent, dont make me wait on you because you're playing beyond your ability.[/quote]

And this goes back to my original statement, I dont care what tees you play as long as you don't hold up play.

8. nututhugame

nututhugame Winter Sucks! Supporting Member

If I shortened up the course it wouldn't present me with any more or less chipping situations, all it would do is make me hit whatever club would leave me with 115 yards in from the tee. From the ladies tees I would never hit a driver except maybe on par 5's and probably not even then. All that would do is make me better at hitting less than driver off of the tee with a perfect lie that I can create. I'm not dumb enough to go pound a club that's going to leave me with 65 yard shots.... who does that?
    I put a premium on a full swing approach and I pretty much live or die by it unless i'm dying by the driver and not even getting to that point. And if I am dying by the driver i'm playing recovery golf anyways which is really an entirely different game and usually puts my short game a lot more into play that day. Those days i'm surviving rather than scoring anyways and it still wouldn't matter if I moved up one tee box.

9. trumb1mj

trumb1mj Well-Known Member

I read something recently about that mentality: 65 yards vs. a full club shot. I think it was a golf digest article about hitting it as far as possible from unreachable locations--like on a par 5.

The article was advising giving yourself those short tweener shots versus a comfy 100 yard shot.

I have always played golf to the 140-150 range to try and increase fairways hit and give myself a nice 9i to the green. It really puts a premium on fairway woods and irons off the tee.

I'm not sure which philosophy to use but some experts definitely think hitting it as far as possible is the way to go...

10. MCDavis

MCDavis The Plaid Duffer Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]