• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Going graphite

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Well my graphite experiment failed. I got a set with the wrong shafts. The online description said "regular". The shafts have an "R", but they are 4.5 which I've learned are senior flex. Anyway, the plan now is to do a fitting with my pro. That's probably what I should have done in the first place. I was trying to save a few bucks by buying preowned.
Hopefully I can sell the set I bought since I'm past the thirty day return date. Thank goodness I kept my JPX 850s with steel shafts.

Bummer man!! Don’t let that discourage you, do the fitting and keep on tinkering away. It becomes just a way life after a while!

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I love graphite shafts. I played Ozik Matrix Program 130 shafts for years. Then went back to steel, but missed the graphite feel. Got refit for shafts and found the Steelfibers. Love them. Have a set in my 718 AP2s, and my MP29s. Don't see myself going back to steel

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
UPDATE: I contacted Mizuno and the TT Project X LZ graphite 4.5 shafts are regular flex. Which is confusing because 4.5 in steel is senior flex. Mizuno doesn't use this shaft anymore and it looks like True Temper has discontinued it as well. I think the problem is they're probably too light (70g) for my current swing. I guess I'll just put them in my garage until I age into them. The resale value is so low and reshafting them would be expensive too.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I love graphite shafts. I played Ozik Matrix Program 130 shafts for years. Then went back to steel, but missed the graphite feel. Got refit for shafts and found the Steelfibers. Love them. Have a set in my 718 AP2s, and my MP29s. Don't see myself going back to steel

Jhmeg - check out the Rapid Tapers that I'm gaming, they are outperforming the Steelfibres. Even for fast, powerful swings they are offering unsurpassed stability and 2-5mph additional club-head speed. And they are for a lot less $s. Order one up for a 6 iron (suggest 85g) and compare to your SF. Looks like Callaway is going to be taking them on as an aftermarket shaft option, testing with them has gone better than expected. PM me if you are interested and I'll hook you up with the relevant people.

Last edited:

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
Of course.... after I put another set in my MP29s. I'm set for now, but always good to know about another product option for clients, thanks. sure, get me the info please.

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
I took the graphite shafted Mizunos to Florida for my vacation. I played four days in a row and just couldn't get comfortable with them. I think they were just too light. I went to the local Dick's Sporting Goods and traded them for a set with steel shafts. I played the next day and hit the new sticks pretty well. I guess graphite shafted irons are just not for me, I know it's weird because most older players, like me; love graphite shafted irons. I must be too set in my ways because I don't like hybrids either.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Ok, I've had several (well deserved) rounds under my belt since coming back from lockdown. I love the new shafts in my irons. They are super easy to hit, have a lovely feel and I'm about 1/2 a club longer with them. Weight-wise, these don't feel light. I've had a few other people swinging them and none of them think they are light either. The wedge shafts feel super nice. My only gap now is my hybrid and perhaps my putter. It never stops...

🔥 Latest posts