• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Going through golf withdrawls

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Going through withdrawls, almost as if I'm jonesing for a round of golf. I haven't played a full, normal round of golf in weeks now. The high tomorrow is supposed to be 57 and windy. But If I'm not deathly ill, I'm hitting the links tomorrow. My last couple of rounds I actually played pretty good besides my 3-4 brain fart shots. Hopefully I can continue the good play tomorrow and eliminate a couple of bain farts I'll be a happy camper. This warm weather is unseasonable so I feel like an idiot not taking advantage of it.

I'm going to leave the drier in the bag on all but a couple of long par 4's and the one par 5 on our course, Tee off with with either my 3 wood or 5 wood, I've been striping both of them, keep my head down and eyes on the ball with my irons and keep my mind on the game. Hopefully all of that will lead to a low score thanks to my new sternum putter. hanks to it, I've all but totaly elimininated 3 putts, and have even started dropping some of the longer ones in one.

Anyway, wish me luck as this could easily be one of my last rounds of the season if the weather changes back to something more normal.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
We've had an exceptional winter, up here. Different than I can every remember in my 65 years. We played the last two days of 2011 and the first two days of 2012. Played both days last weekend. If I didn't have to work, would have been beautiful weather for golf the last couple of days. We're supposed to have an artic front come through this afternoon/evening. Tomorrow's high in the low 20's with subzero windchills. But, it's to be in the mid 40's by Saturday and back in the mid 50's by Sunday. We will try to play both days.

I honestly believe "golf withdrawl" is more prevalent as you get older. As more aches and pains inflict this body, due to the aging process, I understand the Good Lord only blessed me with a certain number of swings. None of us know what that number is and when it will be up. So, we want to keep swinging.

We also have a great group of ne'er-do-wells who are always ready to play, no matter the temp or the weather. Even on the coldest of days, we'll gather at the club for coffee and retelling of old stories. If they open the course, we'll play. We have a cover on the cart and a propane heater to warm our hands. So... we expect to play and whine when we cannot!! :<)

Good luck with your round, dubya. Enjoy!!!!

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I feel you Dub. I've been having withdrawals myself. This year, I've played less than I ever have. While two of my buddies have been playing 2-3 times a week. I wish I could battle the elements with them. One of them just made his first hole in one last Sunday. So, between them they have made 3 HIO's in just last 12-14 months. All with 5 irons...lucky bastards. I still haven't made my 1st HIO. Oh well, in a couple of months I'll get back at it. Got to get this baby out 1st...which is happening tomorrow.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Congrats on the baby GolfaHolic. I hear ya Limp on the limited number of swings. I face two major problems playing this time of year. By the time my friends get off work, its too late to play, and I hate to play by myself. There are a couple of groups of seasoned groups that play early and in all types of weather. But they don't seem very interested in adding an odd player. I'd make their group a uneven number of players. So its either play by myself, or hope my own friend that owns his own buisiness and can play when ever he wants to show up and call me.

On the weekends its always either too cold or raining, or there is a football game on the rest of my friends think they have to watch, lol.

I had a couple of die hard golfers I used to play with all the time, but they both moved, so like I said, its either play alone, which I hate, or don't play.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Oh well, there was a slight chance of rain today, so guess what? Yep, it's raining, so between that and the fact that our 2 1/2 year old grandson is here, SWMBO just nixed the golf game. I was going to take him with me when I played, but she said that both of us were not going out there and getting sick over a game. She is right, the chemo has weakened my immune system, so I'd prolly get sick as a dog. Oh well, maybe later in the week?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Gna snow here...4-7"

First real snow of the year...so i guess i can't complain too much. No golf though...that's for sure.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I get the feeling that some ice fishing is in Clark's near future.

Look on the bright side Dub, by the time spring rolls around you're going to be putting like Steve Stricker. Speaking of Stricker, I was loving his win over the weekend.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Look on the bright side Dub said:
Lol, I don't know about that, for the time being I'm tickled to have cut out the 3 putts. And Stricker is rolling the ball great, no doubt about that.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Made some calls this afternoon but couldn't find anyone interested in playing in 41º today. So I got bundled up and went down to the practice green. I was going to work on my chipping and putting some more, well, its also windy and it was cutting right through my layers of clothes. Plus I'm totaly bored with practicing my chipping and putting. I know thats where I shave the most strokes off, and one of my occasional brain fart shots is blading a easy chip or pitch shot, but damn, if I don't get a round of golf in soon I swear I think I'm going to lose whats left of my mind, lol.

Luckily its supposed to be in the low 60's Saturday, so surely I can find a playing partner or 2 Saturday.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Made some calls this afternoon but couldn't find anyone interested in playing in 41º today. So I got bundled up and went down to the practice green. I was going to work on my chipping and putting some more, well, its also windy and it was cutting right through my layers of clothes. Plus I'm totaly bored with practicing my chipping and putting. I know thats where I shave the most strokes off, and one of my occasional brain fart shots is blading a easy chip or pitch shot, but damn, if I don't get a round of golf in soon I swear I think I'm going to lose whats left of my mind, lol.

Luckily its supposed to be in the low 60's Saturday, so surely I can find a playing partner or 2 Saturday.

Bundled up? For 41ºF?

You southerners...lol

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.