• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf ain't doing too bad ...

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
An interesting read.

Why We Should Be Bullish About Golf | Grow the Game Central

It seems golf is doing okay.

As an aside, I see plenty of other sports claiming to be "the new golf."

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAiLAAAAJDFjMGFhZGU3LTRjNTQtNDFiNy1hNjFlLTJhYTQ5ZGQ4OTlkZQ.jpg

I see golf as the new golf.

Last edited:

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Golf grew by leaps and bounds during the early Tiger Woods era. I honestly believe he did much to encourage/motivate many young people to pick up a set of clubs and get into the game. At about the same time he was becoming extremely popular, we also were in a good time in U.S. economic history. People had disposable income and that also attributed to growing the game.

Golf took a nose dive when the economic hit the skids. Between the "dot com" bust and 9-11, we hit some recessionary times. Folks began working more hours to put food on the table and still did not have the time nor money to spend playing golf. I also believe many courses suffered from an attitude issue. We saw many folks want to make a career out of golf and had no people skills. These folks were being hired as the course pros because of how well they played the game, not how well they could manage a clubhouse. The blue-collar player was either turned away from some courses or discouraged from playing there.

The industry began a significant "shake out". Club manufacturers/assemblers began failing. Courses closed. Neighborhood shops closed when the could not compete with the big boxes or the internet. Fewer rounds were being played every year and the Game kept on a downward spiral.

I do believe the game is in somewhat of a resurgence. I don't see a phenomenal increase in play, but think it is beginning a slow recovery. Our own course went through a difficult time. Our board hired a pro who felt superior to any and all that walked through the clubhouse door. He only wanted to visit with or talk to the socially connected. Tried everything he could to run off the "riff-raff"... members who supported the course year in and year out. Between a couple of DUI's, some alleged drug issues, and a disgraceful work ethic he finally was sent packing. Our new pro is awesome... a people person. Membership is already growing again. Tournament participation is up. And, it's not because we "stole" members from other courses. We are seeing lots of new folks. The local junior golf program is seeing around 80 kids participate this summer. It just feels good, right now, to be associated with this Game.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Golf grew by leaps and bounds during the early Tiger Woods era. I honestly believe he did much to encourage/motivate many young people to pick up a set of clubs and get into the game. At about the same time he was becoming extremely popular, we also were in a good time in U.S. economic history. People had disposable income and that also attributed to growing the game.

Golf took a nose dive when the economic hit the skids. Between the "dot com" bust and 9-11, we hit some recessionary times. Folks began working more hours to put food on the table and still did not have the time nor money to spend playing golf. I also believe many courses suffered from an attitude issue. We saw many folks want to make a career out of golf and had no people skills. These folks were being hired as the course pros because of how well they played the game, not how well they could manage a clubhouse. The blue-collar player was either turned away from some courses or discouraged from playing there.

The industry began a significant "shake out". Club manufacturers/assemblers began failing. Courses closed. Neighborhood shops closed when the could not compete with the big boxes or the internet. Fewer rounds were being played every year and the Game kept on a downward spiral.

I do believe the game is in somewhat of a resurgence. I don't see a phenomenal increase in play, but think it is beginning a slow recovery. Our own course went through a difficult time. Our board hired a pro who felt superior to any and all that walked through the clubhouse door. He only wanted to visit with or talk to the socially connected. Tried everything he could to run off the "riff-raff"... members who supported the course year in and year out. Between a couple of DUI's, some alleged drug issues, and a disgraceful work ethic he finally was sent packing. Our new pro is awesome... a people person. Membership is already growing again. Tournament participation is up. And, it's not because we "stole" members from other courses. We are seeing lots of new folks. The local junior golf program is seeing around 80 kids participate this summer. It just feels good, right now, to be associated with this Game.
Yeah, what he said...just with fewer words.

one_chip_short

Misplaced Texan
Supporting Member
Feb 15, 2017
Glendale, Az
Country
Everything I read seems to indicate that golf is holding its own. Even though I would have said it was on a decline (not based on any actual facts ... just what it feels like to me.)

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I do believe the game is in somewhat of a resurgence. I don't see a phenomenal increase in play, but think it is beginning a slow recovery.

Our new pro is awesome... a people person. Membership is already growing again. Tournament participation is up. And, it's not because we "stole" members from other courses. We are seeing lots of new folks. The local junior golf program is seeing around 80 kids participate this summer. It just feels good, right now, to be associated with this Game.

Yeah, I'm lucky enough to live near to a golf complex; driving range, dedicated short game area, coaching, club fitting, cafe, mini-golf, catered parties. It's been open about 2 or 3 years and it's going gang-busters. It's a real entertainment place and the people flock there. I've just heard that they have approval to build an under lights, 9 hole, par 3 course on surrounding land. Golf Central BNE – Brisbane Golf Driving and Mini Golf Range

The short game practice area is brilliant and has helped me immensely. So, in this little neck of the woods I've seen a golf complex start from nothing and create something that the public love.

DSC04142-896x600.jpg

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
I've been away from the game for a few years but I was really surprised when I played yesterday. I have been playing the same course for almost 30 years and have never seen it so deserted on a beautiful fall day. We had a single ahead of us and a couple of ladies two holes behind us and that was it! We saw no one else.

My wife has played in a ladies league at the same course for 10 years. She had to wait for an opening when she joined. They had 36 players. Now they are down to twelve and can't get any new members.

I was in Monterey in July. We stopped at PB for lunch and I could not believe how empty the course was. We sat outside above the practice green and watched groups teeing off from the 1st tee. In the hour+ that we were there I saw 3 foursomes go off. The parking lot was crowded and there was a lot of construction going on, but it didn't look like there were many people playing. I got the feeling that we could have walked on.

On the plus side it seems like a lot of courses have lowered their greens fees. Yesterday we paid the same that we paid the last time I played. We were looking at a couple of Hawaii courses that we played 5-6 years ago and their greens fees are about the same. I may have to save my allowance for another visit.

🔥 Latest posts