• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

golf ball prices...WOW!!

bryguy

May 15, 2008
Had to run into the local GS yesterday, and they have the new Prov's on the shelf, as well as the new Nike balls. Looking through the ball area, there are now several balls that are over $40 a dozen. Pro V's, new Nikes, and TM TP's are all right aroun $45 a dozen. It amazes me that a golf ball cost almost $4 a piece.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Had to run into the local GS yesterday, and they have the new Prov's on the shelf, as well as the new Nike balls. Looking through the ball area, there are now several balls that are over $40 a dozen. Pro V's, new Nikes, and TM TP's are all right aroun $45 a dozen. It amazes me that a golf ball cost almost $4 a piece.

They don't cost $4 a piece, they sell them for that price. :D

The truth is it doesn't cost much more to make a premium 3 or 4 piece ball than it does a decent 2 piece ball -- pennies. But because of marketing, hype, product differentiation, etc. they price them at what they feel the market will bear. If people are willing to pay $4 for a golf ball that costs much much less than that to manufacture then they will be happy to sell them to you for as much as you're willing to pay.

Same goes for clubs. I personally think drivers especially are insanely overpriced. It doesn't cost much more (if anything) to manufacture the latest Callaway or Taylor Made driver as it does the $150-$200 Retail Adams or Nickent driver. Yet they charge up to 4x for a club that probably cost within just a few dollars more to manufacture than the "cheaper" brands. If people are willing to pay it, they'll gladly take your money. Do you seriously think that Taylor Made isn't making (decent) money when they drop the price of their last year's version driver (that they continue to sell for another year!) by $200? Of course they do. It reminds me a lot of selling cars... :laugh:

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
$4 golf balls are ridiculous, funny how the new Bridgestone B330 RX's are sitting at $42 a box & are targeted at those of us with "slower swing speeds".

And damn straight about drivers costing so much. How come Rory can selll Tourswing drivers for $99 or so & like mentioned, TM, Ping, etc want 3-4-5 times that much? it's because suckers are willing to pay that much.

Bakemono36

Aug 24, 2008
Id agree that premium balls are overpriced. Thats why Im playing the Bridgestone E6+ instead of the B330-RX.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
It amazes me a recreational golfer would pay $4 for a golf ball with the quality of ball that can be found for dirt cheap. But I guess it is all based on your expectation in your game, or for many who buy them likely how important they believe technology is in the game of golf.

Then again, if I played a normal course most of the time, where in my normal circumstances I only go through a ball a round, where up here I could go through 6-10 in a bad round, I would likely play them as well. I figure if I'm spending $50 for a round of golf, whats another $4. If I am a hacker and spending more on golf balls than I am on a round of golf, it would either be time to either find a cheaper sport or a cheaper ball.

If you want to get really technical, spending $50-500+ on four hours of entertainment is pretty ridiculous in itself. Not that I am looking to quit anytime soon. I don't go to movies because I think $8 is outrageous, yet that is only $16 for 4 hours entertainment. I have a problem spending $50 on a video game that could give me a couple hundred hours of entertainment in some cases, so I wait a year for it to drop to what I am willing to spend. Yet I will spend $50-80 on a whim for a round of golf, or up to $150 while on vacation.

Then I criticize these crack addicts that have no self control. What does that say about our hobby. :laugh:

Bakemono36

Aug 24, 2008
It amazes me a recreational golfer would pay $4 for a golf ball with the quality of ball that can be found for dirt cheap. But I guess it is all based on your expectation in your game, or for many who buy them likely how important they believe technology is in the game of golf.

Then again, if I played a normal course most of the time, where in my normal circumstances I only go through a ball a round, where up here I could go through 6-10 in a bad round, I would likely play them as well. I figure if I'm spending $50 for a round of golf, whats another $4. If I am a hacker and spending more on golf balls than I am on a round of golf, it would either be time to either find a cheaper sport or a cheaper ball.

If you want to get really technical, spending $50-500+ on four hours of entertainment is pretty ridiculous in itself. Not that I am looking to quit anytime soon. I don't go to movies because I think $8 is outrageous, yet that is only $16 for 4 hours entertainment. I have a problem spending $50 on a video game that could give me a couple hundred hours of entertainment in some cases, so I wait a year for it to drop to what I am willing to spend. Yet I will spend $50-80 on a whim for a round of golf, or up to $150 while on vacation.

Then I criticize these crack addicts that have no self control. What does that say about our hobby. :laugh:
Golf is still waaaay cheaper than owning a motorcycle, snowmobile, ATV or classic car.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
Golf is still waaaay cheaper than owning a motorcycle, snowmobile, ATV or classic car.

I have two motorcycles (about to buy a third,) an ATV, and was just talking with dad last night about shopping for a classic car to restore - I still think everything from clubs to balls to greens fees are way overpriced :laugh:

stellargellar

Nov 13, 2008
They don't cost $4 a piece, they sell them for that price. :D

The truth is it doesn't cost much more to make a premium 3 or 4 piece ball than it does a decent 2 piece ball -- pennies. But because of marketing, hype, product differentiation, etc. they price them at what they feel the market will bear. If people are willing to pay $4 for a golf ball that costs much much less than that to manufacture then they will be happy to sell them to you for as much as you're willing to pay.

Same goes for clubs. I personally think drivers especially are insanely overpriced. It doesn't cost much more (if anything) to manufacture the latest Callaway or Taylor Made driver as it does the $150-$200 Retail Adams or Nickent driver. Yet they charge up to 4x for a club that probably cost within just a few dollars more to manufacture than the "cheaper" brands. If people are willing to pay it, they'll gladly take your money. Do you seriously think that Taylor Made isn't making (decent) money when they drop the price of their last year's version driver (that they continue to sell for another year!) by $200? Of course they do. It reminds me a lot of selling cars... :laugh:

you hit it on the nail. whats ridiculous is even REFURB balls of the prov's are overpriced. its all marketing and branding.

OP
B

bryguy

May 15, 2008
I guess it is kinda like everything else(which I think about 99% of the stuff in this country is overpriced) , it is all in what folks are willing to pay. I think even what I make for what I do is way overpriced, but I do not set my bill rates, and my pay is a % of my bill rate. I believe at some point in time(and it maybe now) folks are not going to be able to keep paying these crazy high prices for stuff. There is a whole lot of greed and marketing telling us we need the best to be the best everywhere in this country, driving all prices sky high. I agree, with you guys about the price of clubs and such. I look at what it cost me to fill my bag and it was way overpriced, but I paid for them. SO who really is to blame for all the high prices?

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
...and yet, the "experts" in the industry....from the USGA to OEM manufactures cannot figure out why we are seeing annual decline in equipment sales and rise in course closures.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Just wait till next year to see the decline in golf equipment sales as people rush to the stores to buy the latest set of V-groove Irons and wedges. NOT!!!!!!

🔥 Latest posts