• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf Channel Amateur Tour

Golf Channel Amateur Tour - What's Your Impression

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BushwoodCC

Jan 5, 2012
What are your thoughts of the Golf Channel Amateur Tour ? Does anyone here play on it ? What do you think of how it is advertised / promoted ?

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
I played on it a few years ago. I had a lot of fun, but I love any kind tournament golf. It was expensive though. When I played, it was $200 just to be a member. They gave me an ugly shirt, a sleeve of balls and a ball marker for being a member. Then it was anywhere from $100 - $120 for each event I entered...majors (2 day events)were double that. Prizes were minimal. For winning my flight I got a 6" trophy and a TGW gift card for $125. So even if you win your still in the hole from all of the expenses, like gas money, ect. Although they did have skins action where you could make a little money...I think I won like $80 in skins once. Also, it took FOREVER to finish a round with all the plum bobbers...6 hour rounds were normal. The first event I entered, I teed off at noon and I played the last hole in TOTAL DARKNESS, no one could find their balls...it was a joke. We really couldn't see playing the last 3 holes. Anyway, I met a lot of great people and I had a lot of fun, but it wasn't worth it.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I looked into it, but none of their Tours are in my area, and its too expensive as the previous poster said. I now play, or did anyway, on the Golfweek Am. Tour. Its like $175.00 to join, each event is around $65- $75, with the 2 day Major events costing $150. Othe than that, they are pretty much the same, skins games you can buy into, closest to the pin, contest, long drive contest on certain holes. If you won everything you might make a litttle money, or break even. But I was very pleased with the Golfweek AmTour

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
After 6 years of playing the formerly eGolf, now GolfWeek Am Tour, I have given up on my home city tour director. He just doesn't care that our tour hasn't grown; in fact we have lost 80% of our members due to his mismanagement.

So this year, I have joined the Golf Channel Am Tour, but the closest tour city is Atlanta, so I may not get to play many events. I'll try it for a year, what the heck. At least they have viable Senior division, which is more than I can say for the GolfWeek Am Tour.

Ever one to hedge my bets, I will also play some GolfWeek Am Tour events, but with the Columbia tour. Their tour director is much more organized.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
After 6 years of playing the formerly eGolf, now GolfWeek Am Tour, I have given up on my home city tour director. He just doesn't care that our tour hasn't grown; in fact we have lost 80% of our members due to his mismanagement.

So this year, I have joined the Golf Channel Am Tour, but the closest tour city is Atlanta, so I may not get to play many events. I'll try it for a year, what the heck. At least they have viable Senior division, which is more than I can say for the GolfWeek Am Tour.

Ever one to hedge my bets, I will also play some GolfWeek Am Tour events, but with the Columbia tour. Their tour director is much more organized.

Due to my health, I didn't play in any events last year, even though I had joined. Our director is going to give a discounted joining rate this year of I can and do decide to join back up.. He does a pretty good job running it, its growing slowly but surely.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Our local tournament scene is controlled by the AGA (Arizona Gold Association) and the fees are steep $125 + for 2 day tournys.

🔥 Latest posts