• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

golf courses: nature's battleground

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
To get even more off topic, I have an older friend who used to be a "carny" and would wrestle animals on the county fair circuts. He said that bears were usually easy to beat but the biggest ass whooping he ever took in his life was from a kangaroo.

I would imagine a kangaroo is pretty much pure muscle.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I would imagine a kangaroo is pretty much pure muscle.

... the tail isn't some floppy thing like that attached to a dachshund. It's an extension of their spine that they can actually lean back & balance on (if they want to kick with their hind legs).

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
... the tail isn't some floppy thing like that attached to a dachshund. It's an extension of their spine that they can actually lean back & balance on (if they want to kick with their hind legs).

No word of a lie here. Leaning back on their tail a big kangaroo can be 8-9 ft tall and 200 lbs. If they arch back get the hell away from them, they will put you in hospital with a good kick. Pretty rare to get that close to though, only in semi-metropolitan areas where they've adjusted to the people. Out in the bush, they run (hop) before you get close.

Speaking of our native wildlife, I had to come to a screeching halt today to stop from running over a koala. Poor little bugger run like hell, eventually... Apparently to them eating the eucalyptus leaves (from our native gum trees) is basically like getting stoned. No wonder they never know where they are...
Koala.jpg
Koala.jpg

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Except for the lecherous guy behind the camera.
awww.steeleraddicts.com_forum_images_smilies_zdrool.gif

And we love you for it!

Speaking of our native wildlife, I had to come to a screeching halt today to stop from running over a koala. Poor little bugger run like hell, eventually... Apparently to them eating the eucalyptus leaves (from our native gum trees) is basically like getting stoned. No wonder they never know where they are...

True had previously told me that 70% of the koala population has chlamydia. He never answered my question about which species had it first.

My third grader just did a report on koalas; I declined to inform her of this fact.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Any animal that can lean back on its tail and pummel you with its hind legs you should stay away from. I learned this watching Looney Tunes when I was a wee lad. Sylvester would be chasing a mouse and wound up finding a "big mouse" aka Kangaroo and would get the snot knocked out of him.

Also, never accept a gift from Bugs Bunny, Speedy Gonzalez or the Road Runner. :laugh:

When I was still lving up in the snow belt, we used to be members at the Brookfield Zoo and they had quite a Kangaroo population there. Every once and a while, they would pull that lean back on the tail thing against each other and that was all the reminding I needed to know to never mess with a Kangaroo. Wonderful animals to watch, just wouldn't want to get real close to one.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
When I was still lving up in the snow belt, we used to be members at the Brookfield Zoo and they had quite a Kangaroo population there. Every once and a while, they would pull that lean back on the tail thing against each other and that was all the reminding I needed to know to never mess with a Kangaroo. Wonderful animals to watch, just wouldn't want to get real close to one.

ualtim

You mean both you AND eracer lived in Wisconsin? :faintthudYou didn't move down to Florida "together" did you? :D

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
You mean both you AND eracer lived in Wisconsin? :faintthudYou didn't move down to Florida "together" did you? :D

Wrong Brookfield. Brookfield, IL knucklehead. :laugh:

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
True had previously told me that 70% of the koala population has chlamydia. He never answered my question about which species had it first.

Don't ask, don't tell!! (It can get lonely in the bush sometimes)

koala2.gif

OP
N.V.M.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
wow, big brown wabbits. wonder how those would turn out, in let's say a nice tangy tomato sauce?

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005

That's exactly what caused my carny buddy to be rendered unconscious. The gloves were on the front legs but he was kicked in the face by the back legs. Said he woke up about an hour later.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
wow, big brown wabbits. wonder how those would turn out, in let's say a nice tangy tomato sauce?

Well, they're not bad actually. We often joke that we're the only country in the world that eats the animals on its coat of arms (kangaroo and emu, which isn't bad either). I don't eat them much at all, but some people swear by it and eat it more than chicken and beef.

They're supposed to be nasty little critters though, aren't they?

Can be. Like with kangaroos, pretty hard to get that close to them as they are usually up trees and if you're climbing a tree to get to them it's your own stupid fault... :hunter:
But you back one into a corner and it decides it wants to fight its way out then you could be in some trouble. A lot of dogs get hurt this way...
Nasty claws, but they gotta use em to climb trees:
koala-claws-011030.jpgkoala tree.jpg
koala-claws-011030.jpg
koala tree.jpg

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
They're supposed to be nasty little critters though, aren't they?

It depends. The situation's like LeftHoges said. They docile animals that live predominantly in trees & basically eat & sleep a lot. Sometimes they'll come down out of the tree & cross a country road for another tree or whatever. I went on a school camp as a kid & saw first hand that a koala that's minding its own business should be left alone. We went on a hike one day with our fearless teacher (think - grown up dunce). We were walking along an unsealed road & we saw a koala sitting on a fence post. The teacher decided (for whatever reason) that he should take hold of the koala & relocate it somewhere else (that's why he was a dunce). Said teacher takes hold of the koala. Said koala perceives an immediate threat. Frightened Koala proceeds to vigorously claw forearms of teacher. Teacher learns valuable lesson.

🔥 Latest posts