1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf Equipment Rant

Discussion in 'Golf Equipment Talk' started by subsonic, Jul 20, 2017.

1. subsonic

subsonic Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I am so tired of the following threads in other forums:

1)" I am a 16 handicap. Can I play blades?" YES YOU CAN! You can play any damn thing you want. It is Murica!!

2) "Any single digits playing SGI clubs?" Really Captain Insecure? You can play anything you want as a single digit because you are better than 90% of the golfers out there.

3) "Brand x Shaft gives me 300RPM less spin than Brand Y. What should I do?" How about GAFL! You have too much time to worry about worthless 5hit! Crawl out from under your rock and do something!

There are more...

We live in a Golden Age of Golf Equipment. So many choices and so little time. There are so many golfers out there that need affirmation from random donks on the internet.

Here is my recipe for golf success:
    1) Get out on course.
    2) Have a good time! (Most important step!)
    3) Repeat as often as time and money allow.

BTW If you have need any equipment questions, please post and I will offer a prompt and succinct reply.

2. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

United States United States
    Dear SS...
    I am 70 1/2 years old. My swing speed is just over 90 mph. That fact has been proven on the golf simulator at Bud's Beer and Batting Cages on the corner of 5th & Main. My drives average between 275 and 277 yards. I need more consistency because that two yard difference makes choosing the next club difficult. I have a custom fitted Fubrikawskiferenzi shaft only available on the Japanese market. Do I need a new fitting from a certified pro?

:D:D:D:D:D

I totally agree with you Sub. Any more I read WRX for the laughs, not the information. Honestly, I believe many of the posters on that discussion board are 12 year old kids whose parents have had them in fitted clubs since the age of 6 and they, themselves, have no idea of shaft frequency or physics of clubhead design. Or, the posters are 30 year old fat guys living in their mom's basement who post on a golf forum since they've been banned from the NASCAR driver's only forum.

Karsten sold thousands of Ping irons based on a color dot system that indicated 1 degree difference in lie angle. Today, that lie angle difference has been narrowed to 0.75 degrees. 99.999% of the people playing this game for enjoyment cannot repeat a swing to within 0.75 degrees of lie angle from week to week, day to day, swing to swing. Yet we see them suffer paralysis through over-analysis when debating if they have 30 rpm too much spin from a specific shaft. Sheesh! Go play golf!!!!

3. subsonic

I like the Dear Abby Format.

Dearest Limp,

Take your Orange Whip and remove the Orange. Install a Callaway Connector to use in your XR16. Problem Solved! The tempo and consistency you seek!

Drivers and Wedges,
    Subsonic-san

4. TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview "Playing it straight" Supporting Member

Australia Australia
    "Players clubs or game improvement?" It doesn't matter. A sh!t swing is a sh!t swing. Get lessons d!ckhead.

Anders_H and PaPaD like this.
  5. subsonic

Dear TTR,

That is not a question, but I agree with your sentiments. But Hey, Fvck lessons too! The more you play the better you will get.

Cheers,
    Subsonic-san

6. TheTrueReview

Australia Australia
    Lessons + play, play, play.

I was channelling the typical questions in the other forums. I shake my head sometimes. You'd swear that some of keyboard golfers were touring pros. [insert face palm]

Fairwaysplitter3320 likes this.
  7. Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320 Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again. Staff Member Admin

Admin Post
    This thread is golden, love it!

8. PaPaD

PaPaD Club ho, geezer........ Supporting Member

My mantras:

Hit the ball, go find it, hit it again. Do it with people you really like and it's fun.

Equipment? Buy new stuff if you're bored with the old stuff or just because it looks cool. If the new stuff helps your game, it just means your swing is on that day.

I figure I'll try out or briefly own every brand there is before I go under the dirt.

jhmeg2 and TheTrueReview like this.
  9. limpalong

#1 Rule of Golf: You can ALWAYS buy a better game!!!

subsonic likes this.
  10. subsonic

Dear papaD- You a Ho! You do play whatever without regards for taste, performance or to appease anyone other than yourself. That is admirable.

Eagles and Birdies,

Subsonic-San

11. subsonic

Dear Limpy,

You have learned most important rule. He with most money win game. You play hella expensive Callaway Bag! You kansas Donald Trump!

Let the haters eat cake,
    Subsonic-san

jhmeg2 and Fairwaysplitter3320 like this.
  12. TheTrueReview

Australia Australia
    Find it? I don't have gills.

13. limpalong

SonSon cast insult MonMon. Call me TRump! You deplorable!! No big money bag. Nothing in bag paid at retail. Most used when got. Hate bag. Cannot shoot age. Clubs okay. Just need new bag will lower score 5 strokes. Phone pro late day. See when fitting for new bag.

Hey! Wait a minute. Calling my clubs "expensive" when we play the exact same set or irons???!!!! Sheesh!!:D

I've always been a "club fanatic/addict". Enjoy peeking in the bags of other players. Our course is "blue-collar". It is amazing looking in the bags of the many guys who play every day, simply for the enjoyment of the Game. Small headed ancient steel drivers. Old blade irons. Bags that look like they were charged freight on the Mayflower. If these guys shoot 100, they could care less. They are out there to spend time with their best buds, get some great exercise, and maybe hear a new joke or two.

"Mike and Mike" go out about as early as we do weekday mornings... or a little earlier. They played many rounds together before one of the Mike's began the early phases of Alzheimer's. Now, Mike picks up Mike at his house. They head to #10 to just play the back. Mike has to point the other Mike in the correct direction and choose the club he needs to hit. Sometimes the ill Mike makes contact sometimes he doesn't. They both laugh and it is the highlight of the day for both. One will not remember his score or that he was even on the golf course. The other will always remember the days spent with his buddy before he became ill. Once the ill Mike plays his last round, the other Mike will be joining our weekday group. Until then, he is content with doing what he can to make his best friend laugh a little. For both of those guys, it's not about swing speed, brand of clubs, or score. That's REAL golf!!!!

jhmeg2, Fitzpatrick, Anders_H and 2 others like this.
  14. IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer Fac ut gaudeam Supporting Member

Dear SS,

Recently my game has gone down the shitter and I feel it happened right about the time I switched brand of brush tees. I was getting 7.5 yards extra off my last brand. The new one? Sscchh, maybe it's just not calibrated right or something because I have started duck hooking. I'm in such a tizzy as they have stopped making the original brush tees. Maybe if I got the loft adjusted on my putter, do you think that would help? Or I might just buy myself a set of Muira blades. Boy, I'm starting to feel better already.

Thanks
    Richard Head

15. limpalong

Dear SS,
    I have played a set of Mizuno MP-9's for 30 years. I have worn dime-sized cavities in the face of each iron. Since this wear has been gradual, I've been able to compensate for it. Now, the 2-iron is looking like I will soon see through the club where the dime-sized cavity is deepest. I don't want to give up this fine set of players blades. They just don't make 'em like they used to. My fear is that less exacting blades would allow my swing to get "lazy" and my 12 handicap would grow to an intolerable 15 or so. What do you recommend to fill the face cavities on my irons? Can I uses something like JB Weld or Liquid Nails?? How long would the fill have to set before playing? Could a machine shop cut new grooves through the fill material?

Thanks for your assistance...

I. M. Peculiar

jhmeg2, PaPaD, azgreg and 1 other person like this.
  16. subsonic

Dearest IG,

You play golf on one of the true hallowed links of golf, Portstewart. Unfvck yourself and throw the brush tees in the bin as the spirit of Old Tom views that as an aberration to what is good and proper on the links. Go with a sand tee and you will find the lost distance.

Don't d!ck with your putter and continue to use game improvement equipment to make it as easy as possible to navigate the rugged links of Portstewart.

Also, ditch the Euro Skinny pants as you will find your bollocks start to swell with your newfound game. A constrained scrotum will no doubt affect your swing.

Warm regards from the other side of the pond,
    Subsonic-san

jhmeg2 and Fairwaysplitter3320 like this.
  17. subsonic

Dearest I.M.

JB WELD FTMFW!

I would recommend a set of Eye2s if you are concerned about wear. The Timex of the Golf world! Take a lickin and keep on tickin! I see you will be a 12 handicap in no time!

All my best,
    Sub(no time for wear)Sonic-san

18. limpalong

Thanks for the suggestion. Guess I will no longer be asking you for advice. Did not understand that you promote clubs for us players that are nothing but game improvement clubs for rank amateurs. Eye 2 irons... for that matter any Ping junk... is manufactured for the masses. The consistency of my swing is entirely too important to me to play cheap game improvement cavity back irons. 99% of golfers would play so much better with forged blades if they would try them. I will try to find someone who gives good advice from now on. That is most certainly not you!!!!

19. subsonic

The Truth hurts.

PaPaD likes this.
  20. limpalong

OMG! I'm going to make you so sorry for this! I AM one of the best players at my exclusive Country Club. If you don't believe it just ask me!!! I'll show you. Going to Facebook and post a rant about your advice there. I have over a million followers, though only 29 show up on my page. I'll ruin you! SMH

:D:D

PaPaD likes this.