1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf Equipment Rant

Discussion in 'Golf Equipment Talk' started by subsonic, Jul 20, 2017.

1. PaPaD

PaPaD Club ho, geezer........ Supporting Member

United States United States
    Yes - I form some bad habits in my VA playing group - we roll the ball in the fairways and don't go back to the tee after lost tee shots (and a few other violations). I'm in FL this week and playing in my league matches it's all USGA. I found myself almost rolling my ball in the fairway several times, but caught it. My approach shot on the first hole yesterday took a bad bounce and rolled OB into a neighbor's yard. Walk of shame back to the spot I hit it from, drop a penalty and hit shot #4 onto the green (saved bogey with a 12 footer!). USGA golf is harder.

2. subsonic

subsonic Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I think it would be a benefit to the game to make some effort to separate recreational golf from competitive golf. The two are not very much alike.

3. one_chip_short

one_chip_short Misplaced Texan Supporting Member

But many claim they do ... based on causal research of playing with random people, those that claim to be hardcore USGA are the bigger offenders ...

4. limpalong

limpalong Mental Ward Escapee Supporting Member

Our regular groups....
    1.) A mixed bag of offenders. I play the ball down. Most others in the group will move it. Some will even move it away from trees and other obstacles without counting it as a stroke. We are there to have fun. Does smart a little, though, when you lose 50 cents to the guy you've see move five or six balls during the round.
    2.) For the sake of pace of play, we ALL play line of sight on hazards, lost balls, and out of bounds. Ball goes in hazard. Bring it out close to where it crossed the hazard line and get on with the game.
    3.) We have many large cottonwood trees lining our course. When the cotton is falling, you can lose a ball in the fairway. Likewise when the leaves are falling. If you see where the ball lands and can't find it due to cotton or leaves, we play "leaf rule". Drop another ball with no penalty. Otherwise, you would be looking entirely too long and delay the entire course.
    4.) No 5-minute rule looking for a lost ball. We invoke a 20 second rule. If you don't find it on the first pass through, you probably ain't gonna find it. Drop another ball and move on.

5. PaPaD

Regarding number 1 - I ask the guy who runs our game (sets the teams, collects the $, pays out the winnings) to announce the "rules" before we start. We're all playing the same game. Moving a ball away from an obstacle so you have a clear shot is a pretty far stretch from golf for me. The game can be fun without totally destroying the rules, but I guess it's hard to decide where you draw the line.

Fairwaysplitter3320 and subsonic like this.
  6. subsonic

Regarding number 1:

I play it down unless I am going to harm myself or my clubs. EX: If my ball comes to rest on a root just off the fairway, I will move it from the root, but play the same shot I would have off the root. I play with a guy that will move it so much as to get a look at the green, then will go for the green. I feel that is "No Bueno".

7. PaPaD

Dear Subsonic,

I am a +3 handicap with a driver swing speed of 130mph. I'd play the PGA Tour, but I don't like to travel, stay in nice hotels, drive brand new courtesy cars, chase hot women, or make shitloads of money.

My dilemma is this. I can't decide whether forged or cast irons are best for my game. Please settle this age old debate once and for all.

Regards,
    Gaulph Werks

8. subsonic

Dear GW,

Forged FTMFW!

I am surprised that someone with your obvious game would even have this question. Whether you are a +3 or a -30 it is all about having a set of Chrome Titties hanging out of your bag.

Keep'em in the sweet spot,
    SS

azgreg, Fairwaysplitter3320 and PaPaD like this.
  9. PaPaD

Thank you. Your wisdom is beyond epic. I made 18 holes in one using forged Japanese Steel. I will consider Titleist.

[​IMG]