1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf in a Space Colony

Discussion in 'Golf Pictures' started by ZeroGVersteeg, Jul 30, 2012.

1. ZeroGVersteeg

ZeroGVersteeg Member

I've been working on a short film about space exploration and designing a large future rotating space colony. This structure would be a large can shape with about a 500m diameter (547yrds). In the process of designing the interior, I always try to imagine what I would want to see if I lived there myself. As an avid golfer, I obviously would not want to live in a community without a golf course (even if space is limited(...in space)).
    I decided I could probably fit at least 3 holes (2 par 3's and a par 4) in the settlement. Since everything would be built from scratch, we could mimic any holes that we would like to play. I based the course around an edited Pebble Beach (Par 3 7th, Par 3 17th and shortened Par 4 8th). The greens would be synthetic grass and hydraulically operated so each green could change to a different layout at the click of a button. By playing 3 holes 6 times from different tees, you could actually play 18 slightly different holes.
    Note: the physics in a zero gravity environment where the only force applied to the ball would be the centrifugal force applied by the rotating station plus the impact of the club, would drastically change the way we would have to play. ...and the putt would always break along the rotation axis of the structure.
    Updates and high resolution images of the course and structure can be found here:
    www.spacehabs.com/441354

Versteeg_Kalpana_cam3. Versteeg_Kalpana_cam5. Versteeg_Kalpana_cam31. Versteeg_Kalpana_cam32.

The Sweed likes this.
  2. TEA Time

TEA Time Grumpy Gilmore Staff Member Admin

United States United States
    Admin Post
    Sick! I wonder what the ball flight would be like. Probably like: /\

3. ZeroGVersteeg

ZeroGVersteeg Member

The ball flight could fade or draw but it wouldn't drop without gravity acting upon it so it would travel straight out from the impact position. depending on the speed and trajectory of the ball, you could actually hit it forward and high and have the ball meet you on the other side of the stuctures rotation. I may have to do a simulation that shows the ball flight so I can better understand it myself.

4. anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic Refusing Recovery Supporting Member

United States United States
    ...or if I hit one there, it might go straight.