• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf Shoe Struggles

Skjay101

May 1, 2008
I recently bought a new pair of Nike Golf Shoes, after finally retiring my ancient eccos. They felt good in the store, and I walked around in them for a bit.
Then today I hit the course, and around hole 6 or 7, I noticed the pain. I stuck it out until the 9th, then I took them off and carried them the rest of 9, and couldn't bring myself to hit the back9.
My old golf shoes are terrible shape, and I can't wear them, but I am not looking forward to playing another round with these suckers on. Any ideas on how to break in the golf shoes a little better? The blisters are on the back of my heels.

Thanks

_skjay

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
1. Buy better socks. Totally worth it.

2. Buy Eccos. Don't fix what ain't broke.

R35

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
Agree with Rock. Can't go wrong with Eccos.

As for the current Nike's. I would lace them up as tight as possible without cutting off circulation so that your heels aren't lifting as you walk.

Skiddlydiddly

Jul 17, 2007
Soak them in hot water. Wear them till they're dry (around the house/while watching TV is ok). Repeat as necessary. I always do this at least twice with any new leather shoes/boots.

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
1. Buy better socks. Totally worth it.

2. Buy Eccos. Don't fix what ain't broke.

R35

i didn't know rock was such a eccoholic until i read all the posts he made about them. i got a pair (no not that $hitty color one you saw rock), and they are superb shoes. first day out w/ them they fit like gloves, and they fit even better now. i was cleaning and conditioning the leather, and they are thus far had the best feeling leather all around. even better than my 300 dollar baseball gloves. expensive yes, but worth the money. i got another pair coming this week.

OP
S

Skjay101

May 1, 2008
Thanks. Does soaking shoes in hot water damage leather? I thought that was a no-no. Where is the best place to buy eccos in Regina, R35?

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
Thanks. Does soaking shoes in hot water damage leather? I thought that was a no-no. Where is the best place to buy eccos in Regina, R35?

i think he meant wipe the shoes down w/ damp cloth so that the moisture can get in the leather.

Skiddlydiddly

Jul 17, 2007
i think he meant wipe the shoes down w/ damp cloth so that the moisture can get in the leather.

No, I meant soak them. A little water won't hurt leather, or a well made shoe. You want it soaked all the way through, so it'll stretch and conform to your foot.

This is how I used to be able to march all day in a brand new pair of combat boots without messing up my feet.

This method might not work as well if your shoes are more like running shoes with syntheitc outers and padding and stuff on the inside. My own golf shoes are a pretty basic leather model, and this is what I did with them.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
i didn't know rock was such a eccoholic until i read all the posts he made about them. i got a pair (no not that $hitty color one you saw rock), and they are superb shoes. first day out w/ them they fit like gloves, and they fit even better now. i was cleaning and conditioning the leather, and they are thus far had the best feeling leather all around. even better than my 300 dollar baseball gloves. expensive yes, but worth the money. i got another pair coming this week.

I was a Nike guy for a while, even toyed with Foot Joy. Neither can touch Ecco, IMO.

R35

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
I was a Nike guy for a while, even toyed with Foot Joy. Neither can touch Ecco, IMO.

R35

i know.. i had TW edition SP-8 (first one) and did not like the fit. always gave me an ache around toe area. i still use my FJ for really wet days so that i don't get my pretty shoes all dirty :prop:

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I tried those Adidas on a few weeks back, maybe more like a month ago. They just seemed cheap to me. If they work for you, perfect.

R35

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
Never tried on a pair of Ecco’s, can’t find a color scheme that doesn’t look gay :). What’s the problem with the Nike’s are you getting blisters, or is it something else. If its blisters or hot spots the best thing to do is duct tape your feet up. I have a very narrow heel and always had problems with blisters when I would get new running shoes, hiking boots, or cleats. Regular first aid tape, athletic tape or bandages work ok but tend to fall off, the best thing to use is duct tape by far, just put it directly on top of the areas where you get hot spots or blisters, and you don’t need any gauze underneath.

Talking to the guy at the shoe store and he said if you want to stretch out your shoes use 50% rubbing alcohol and 50% water in a spray bottle and spray down your shoes before you go out. He said that just water is bad because it can cause the leather to break down and crack.

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
How long do you guys keep your shoes for? I have some going on a year now and they are almost ready for the trash.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I have 2 pair of Nike's, my old ones are just over 1yr old & still have lot's of life left in them. I like them because they are wide & for me very comfortable. Have changed out the spikes a few times & they are good as new. I did buy a new pair which look more like regular tennis shoes only because they were on sale for $39. Haven't worn them yet, but they are a bit narrower than my current ones & will take some time to break in.

🔥 Latest posts