• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf Stories of 2011

PMay

Jul 7, 2009
Bloomington Indiana
Country
United States United States
Seeing as the end of the year is coming and most shottalkers are now relegated to thinking about golf vs. actually playing, what are some interesting things that happened to you on the golf course this year? Amazing Shots, Blatant Cheating, Funny Things, Blowups,etc.
For me it would have to be my friend being banned from the course for flipping a golf cart. Before I begin you must understand the caliber of moron this person truly is. He is referred to as "that guy" in town. So we were playing a hole with an out of play lake that sits way up on a hill off to the right. My friend hits his drive to the right. However, not having played the course he didn't realize there was a lake at the top of the hill. So he drives the cart up the steep hill thats probably a good 65 to 70 degree angle. He gets to the top realizes there is a lake and turns the cart at the top of this hill. Needless to say the cart comes careening down the hill the idiot tries to turn and the cart turns over on him. So the next thing I know I am looking over and the cart is on its side with the idiot poking his head out of the cart with the stupidest look a person could have on their face. So me and another guy run over to turn it back over and this thing is in bad shape. The roof is dented in, the pole that supports the roof is snapped, the windshield is cracked, the seat is off, and when he pressed the gas the whole thing began to smoke. The worst part however, is that the a##hole didn't even bother to tell the clubhouse. He drove the cart up to shed, parked it, and got in his car and left. Luckily the club takes cart numbers and phone numbers whenever you sign in and he got a call a few days later! hehe. All in all it was one of the funniest things I have ever seen on the course.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
That's funny as hell! Good story.

The funniest thing I've seen all season was a guy from KY having a high speed come-apart on a tee box one afternoon. I posted the story here a few months ago.

The most incredible thing I witnessed all year was my son playing some very fine golf(I have a thread about that too I think), he just turned 4 last month. He can kill the ball for a little guy and he's amazingly consistent. He's just too cool and he's such a little gentleman on the course. I spent the biggest part of the season with him on the course.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Actually, a pretty uneventful year. Only a couple things come to mind...

One in our group seems to have a mental block about #16. He always hits his drive to the right. One Sunday, he swung and the ball sailed high right. As he backed up to watch where the ball landed, he tripped over the tee marker. Did a complete backwards somersalt, ending up seated with his driver held high. He has bad knees and we thought maybe he was injured. Nope! Just gave himself and us a good laugh.

Our group is quite "loose", to say the least. One of the group is CEO of a large medical laboratory firm. His employees say he will still be talking on Wednesday and Thursday about the laughs he had one the course over the weekend. When the annual members tourney comes around, it's a two-day affair. The first day, you play with your choice of group. At least one other in the group must be playing in the tourney. The second day is a shotgun, mixing everyone up into flighted groups. All 4 in our group, that Saturday morning, were in the tourney. One regular was a fairly new club member and was used to our "loose" group. After the round, he was relating his first tourney experience to others in the clubhouse. "I didn't even recognize these guys, they were so quiet. You couldn't have driven a nail between the cheeks of their butts with a sledgehammer, they were so uptight!"

It's just been another great year of friendship and good times, enjoying this game of golf. We are blessed to have the opportunity to play this game. An even greater blessing is enjoying time with good friends on the course and good folks at ShotTalk!!!!

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I was playing with three duffers even older then I am (about limp's age) and we were on a hole where you hit your drive over a high hill, a long par 4. I hit mine well over the hill, about 260 and one of the other guys hit his on top of the hill (or so it seemed). The other two hit theirs in the trees on the right and went looking for their balls (as old guys never carry more then three extra). While they were doing that I slyly went up to the top of the hill and (when no one was looking) moved the old guys ball 50 yards farther down which put his drive at 280. I'm sorry but I was extremely bored waiting on these guys and had to do something to make myself chuckle. When the other guys got to their partner's drive all their jaws dropped, bounced off the ground and slammed back up almost knocking out their false teeth. I know I shouldn't have done it but their reaction to that "drive" was beyond hilarious and I had all I could do to keep my straight face. The guy who hit that drive strutted around like Tiger Woods the rest of the round. :)

Ben Hogan Swing Project

Dec 6, 2011
These aren't stories of 2011, but I didn't see a thread that these would fit:

Number 1:
I first started playing in 2007. After about a year, I could hit the ball straight and only lose 5-6 balls a round. Shot between 95 an 100, and I was beating everyone in my foursome. I could hang out with the guys on the course and have an ok time. For my birthday, my wife bought me a Taylor Made tour bag. The exact same one used by the pros on TV. She thought she was doing me a favor. Because I was hitting the ball pretty good, I thought the golf swing was no big deal. On a super-sunny Saturday morn at 9:00am at Bobby Jones Course in Atlanta in September, I proudly put my nice, new, shiny Tour Bag bag right there on the 1st tee box in front of a big crowd of carts and people waiting to tee off. There were probably 10-15 carts lined up. When I walked up, the stares began. There were lots of Ooooooos and Ahhhhhhhhssssss. I heard guys wispering "Man, that guy has a Tour Bag...........we gotta check this out. He's about to crush it." Also, because I was trying to learn the game, I had alignment stakes and my tripod with camera on it in the bag, so it looked like I spent about 12 hours on the range every day. My dad plays with me and asked a few times "ummmmm, do you think that pro lookin bag is a little much?" Of couse I didn't care cause I am the best driver of the ball.....in our group, even with a nice balanced pose at the end of my swing. We were up next. The Starter told us that we were a green light. That's when something happened to me. My hands started shaking. My throat hurt. My feet got heavy. I got up to the tee box, with everyone......and i mean EVERYONE watching my every move. I tried to play it off and do a bunch of spectacular practice swings.....and they were INCREDIBLE..........the pose and all. I practice-swung real hard and made a grunt; the club made that cool SWOOSH sound too. But for some reason, when I got up to the tee and looked down the fairway, my feet got heavy again and I started praying to the golf gods of the universe to PPPPLLLLEEEEEEAASSSSSEEEEE let me pull this off. I got into my address, stared at the ball for a long time, then made the worst......and I mean the WORST, most fragile, careful, stupid looking scared swing EVER!!!! The ball rolled about 30yds in front of us into the creek. NOBODY made a sound, except my dad. He whispered "Lol......like I always tell you......this isn't the range. Things are different on the tee box." The silence didn't help. At that point, I needed for someone to start yelling or laughing or SOMETHING!!! The Starter said "give it another shot buddy". This is probably because I had all that crap in my bag, and because of the bag itself. He was somehow convinced that I was good or something. I should have yelled out "THANK YOU SIR! MAY I HAVE ANOTHER!" 2nd swing was worse. Swung even more scared, but waaaaaay harder. Hit the ball off the hozzle and it shot direct right into another part of the stinkin creek. The Starter's next comment was "Uhhhhh...ahhhhhh............I need for you guys to go ahead and keep things moving. Buddy, you can drop on the other side of the creek." Man, if I could have only gotten everyone's name and phone number that witnessed that disgusting display.....I would call them all back today to clear my name and so they could see me get off the 1st tee. When I got home, the Tour Bag and ALL its contents were forcefully thrown into the spooky downstairs storage closet....the closet that's inhabited by crickets, spiders and moth balls. Told my wife that golf wasn't for me. I took up softball and bodybuilding. And of course I blamed her for buying that stinkin bag.

Number Two:
After I got over the Tour Bag incident (took about 2 years), I was back out there hitting it sorta straight (most times) and using a plain black golfbag.....of course. Bruce and I made a tee time at Durham Lakes course. Because it was a busy Saturday, we were paired with two other guys. Both said they shot in the mid 90's to low 100's. Bruce and I always bet $5-$5-$5 or $10-$10-$10, which is five bucks for the front nine, five bucks for the back nine, and five for the whole thing. Same goes for the 10's. Since they were in our league as far as scoring, we invited them to join in on the wager. We played hole after hole......I think I'm winning and am as relaxed as ever, cause the guy I'm riding with keeps telling me he got an 8 on just about every hole. I'm already planning a shopping spree with his money lol! When we got to the next hole, which was a long par 4, he had a MAJOR blowup......I counted at least 13 strokes......water, OOB, unplayable......that kind of stuff. We got back into the cart and I proudly put down my 6. I asked him what he had, and he said "put me down for an 8." I squinted my eyes and just about broke the pencil. WHAT....!!!! AN 8???? WHAT THE HELLLLLL.........YOU HAD 8 STROKES COMING OFF THE TEE BOX!!!!! He responded calmly that he doesn't count anything over a double. I thought golf was regarded as the "gentleman's game" of pride and honor. I lost interest after that. I quickly learned that one must agree to all wager terms before tee'ing off.

Whew...it was tough thinkin about those times again. Well, I'm back into it.........for now.

🔥 Latest posts