• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf Tec

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
So today I stopped in at a golfsmith near my house, first time in the store and it was AWESOME!!! but that is not the true reason for this post.

I signed up for their membership program and they gave me a sheet of coupons. One of which was for a swing diagnostic at a Golf Tec location for $25. This service is normally $85 so I figured I would give it a shot as one of the Golf Tec locations was right next to my house. For those of you who don't know what it is Golf Tec basically is an indoor hitting area complete with several high speed cameras to film your swing. They line up your video with several pros to illustrate the changes that they want you to make in your swing. They also had a harness that you wore while swinging that gave constant info on your spine angle shoulder and hip rotation etc. It was pretty awesome, and the guy was even able to give me some small points to work on in my swing. It was pretty interesting, and for $25 it was worth it. Their lesson prices and such are still a bit ridiculous but it was cool to see myself on video and next to several pros.

Manavs

Bodybuilding Golf Pro
Dec 19, 2008
personally - im not a fan see below.. .lol

3/14/09
Hi Michael – Thank you for your interest in GolfTEC and for filling out our online application. We were fortunate to have had a great response to our job postings. After reviewing your application, we have chosen to pursue a candidate that better suits our needs at this time.

Again, thank you for your interest in GolfTEC. We wish you luck in your job search.

Sincerely, Mike

Mike McDonald
Director of Recruiting, PGA Member

GolfTEC Enterprises, LLC
12450 E Arapahoe Road, Suite B
Centennial, CO 80112
P 303.779.9900 x251
F 214.975.1223

295yards

May 5, 2009
Every pro will tell you compensations are not good, but Ben hogan himself said you do not want a good grip with a bad swing or something like that.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but lets say for the sake of the argument you could match some areas of what a pro is doing in still imagery, would it make you a better golfer if you were not doing EVERYTHING the pro is doing?

295yards

May 5, 2009
personally - im not a fan see below.. .lol

3/14/09
Hi Michael – Thank you for your interest in GolfTEC and for filling out our online application. We were fortunate to have had a great response to our job postings. After reviewing your application, we have chosen to pursue a candidate that better suits our needs at this time.

Again, thank you for your interest in GolfTEC. We wish you luck in your job search.

Sincerely, Mike

Mike McDonald
Director of Recruiting, PGA Member

GolfTEC Enterprises, LLC
12450 E Arapahoe Road, Suite B
Centennial, CO 80112
P 303.779.9900 x251
F 214.975.1223

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but lets say for the sake of the argument you could match some areas of what a pro is doing in still imagery, would it make you a better golfer if you were not doing EVERYTHING the pro is doing?

I had once my swing compared with Earny Els's swing, and I have to admit there where a couple of things I learnt from the experience. Its great to see you swing next to a guy who actually knows how to do so, an you learn little tricks that might help you in some way. Might not make you a better golfer, but surely helps you understand something about mechanics....

OP
floggerrushmd

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
It was more of a... The guy would tell me to move the ball forward in my stance while widening my feet slightly to change my address position, then he would pull up an image of a pro in the position he wanted me in to illustrate it. Sort of the picture is worth a thousand words approach, and for one other area of my swing he showed me what I looked like at the top of my backswing, and where I might be getting myself into trouble, and told me what he wanted me to look like, then he showed me video of a pro doing exactly what he was trying to have me do. It wasn't like he picked one pro and was like you should make your swing look like this, he pulled the stills of pros that illustrated the changes he wanted me to make to gain consistency. Now I am not saying that I will be going back. Their rates are just ridiculous and I can't justify it. But it was nice to see on camera what I was doing wrong, it makes changing those problems a hell of a lot easier than just listening to people who are watching my swing in real time make comments on what I need to change I could see the problems with my own two eyes, and then see the correct position side by side to help my mind get the idea of what my body needed to do.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I'm a fan of Golf Tec but, more importantly, I'm a fan of my pro there. Their basic philosophy is that all the best players in the world (we're talking guys on tour in general not just the top 5 of th world rankings) have very similar swings when you look at the basics. With a few exceptions, all these guys fit into a range for any of the given data point (hip/should rotation, posture, should tilt etc.). They are just trying to get their clients into that range.

My instructor was pretty damn good at articulating the changes he wanted to see and the instant video feedback was exactly what I needed. It is also great to be able to log in and review your lessons anytime online. I recently started to see some results of old, bad, habits appear in my ball flight. I logged on, found the lesson that we concentrated on that issue and basically re-took it (as well as reviewed the prescribed drills).

I'm sure I could have spent less but I really clicked with the pro and so I have absolutely no regrets. I now have a buddy (scratch golfer) that has a high speed camera set-up in his garage and I will head over to his place for some screen time. I take those swings and compare them to my downloaded GT swings and thus the lessons just keep on going.

For the record, I did the initial instruction with five follow-ups and over the course of that season I went from a 23 to 12 (currently a 10.5). I still swing by to shoot the sh!t with the guys from time to time.

Manavs

Bodybuilding Golf Pro
Dec 19, 2008
I'm a fan of Golf Tec but, more importantly, I'm a fan of my pro there. Their basic philosophy is that all the best players in the world (we're talking guys on tour in general not just the top 5 of th world rankings) have very similar swings when you look at the basics. With a few exceptions, all these guys fit into a range for any of the given data point (hip/should rotation, posture, should tilt etc.). They are just trying to get their clients into that range.

My instructor was pretty damn good at articulating the changes he wanted to see and the instant video feedback was exactly what I needed. It is also great to be able to log in and review your lessons anytime online. I recently started to see some results of old, bad, habits appear in my ball flight. I logged on, found the lesson that we concentrated on that issue and basically re-took it (as well as reviewed the prescribed drills).

I'm sure I could have spent less but I really clicked with the pro and so I have absolutely no regrets. I now have a buddy (scratch golfer) that has a high speed camera set-up in his garage and I will head over to his place for some screen time. I take those swings and compare them to my downloaded GT swings and thus the lessons just keep on going.

For the record, I did the initial instruction with five follow-ups and over the course of that season I went from a 23 to 12 (currently a 10.5). I still swing by to shoot the sh!t with the guys from time to time.

I love the fact that you found someone you clicked with and have a place you can go to hang. i think as golfers we all benefit from a place to bounce ideas off of.

as far as what you mentioned their teaching philosophy is - and im only going off of what you said - I never been a fan of teaching people to copy an effect - ie this pro is in this position therefore you need to be in this position - rather show them the action to create the effect - empowering the client to be at cause over their swing.

thats when you want to bring the before video back and show them the change - which i believe to be beneficial. or use a tour pros action to validate the action your showing them.

Hitting indoors on a machine is useless.

care to expand on your comment?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online