• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf Trueisms

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Practice does not equal perfect, yet still... no practice almost guarantees you will suck.

I've not hit balls on the range for, probably, 10 years. Haven't set foot on a putting clock more than once in the past year.

The Good Lord only put a certain number of swings in this body. No one knows that number and when the number is up. Therefore, I'm not about to waste some of those swings hitting range balls or putting when it doesn't count!!!!:)

As I've said before, we have the first tee time at our course every Saturday and Sunday. When it's barely light enough to see around the bend on #1, we're off the tee. No sense in hitting range balls or putting in the dark. Having been years since I've hit practice balls, I still get it around the course fairly well for a fat old man. Just haven't seen the need to spend time hitting balls. Could I lower my scores if I hit 100 balls/day? Of course. Enough to where I felt the time and dollars were well spent. Don't think so. Would going-on-70 year old elbows, wrists, shoulders, back, etc. hold up hitting practice balls and bent over on a putting clock? Don't want to even try to give more body parts a chance to offer resentment for even suggesting they need to remain mobile.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Not all the trueisms apply to everyone, but I think mine probably applies to a vast majority of golfers. There's not too many people who are "naturals". And for practice I don't necessarily mean beating balls on the range.... just playing regularly -vs- not playing for a month or two at a time kind of applies as practice. If you play once a week or more it's regimented and it keeps your body and mind in tune with golf and it's enough to keep you better than if you didn't (for most people i'm assuming).

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I'm playing all the time (every day usually) and don't have time to practice....

For me there seems to be a difference between hitting balls on the range and on the course. And I can't take anything from the range to the course so why bother.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I'm playing all the time (every day usually) and don't have time to practice....

For me there seems to be a difference between hitting balls on the range and on the course. And I can't take anything from the range to the course so why bother.
Right.... and in my eyes if you play multiple times a week it is practicing, just practicing on the course. It's not like all of your rounds are tournaments or really mean a whole lot... your just working to get better while playing.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I watched that Golf Channel guy show how to practice on the range. He said play a practice round on the tee. In other words, imagine your favorite course and "play" each hole in order. Wherever your tee shot lands, pretend that's what you have for your second shot and hit that shot. Then move on to the next "hole" and so on. Seemed like a cool idea.

EDIT: I just realized this isn't the right thread for this post, so.... "An unexpected birdie will inevitably be followed up by a routine bogey."

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
It is more painful for your wife to beat you on one hole than for your buddy to beat you for one year.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
It is more painful for your wife to beat you on one hole than for your buddy to beat you for one year.
I got paired with an older couple last week and on a par 3 the wife hit the flag stick on her tee shot and sank the bird. The hubby got par and I got bogey from blocking my tee shot right of the bunker.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I got paired with an older couple last week and on a par 3 the wife hit the flag stick on her tee shot and sank the bird. The hubby got par and I got bogey from blocking my tee shot right of the bunker.

So, a little old lady beat you by two strokes on a hole?? Wait a minute. You let a little old lady car a birdie two and you had to card a bogey? And you just told the world of ShotTalk about it? I don't know which is worse. You let a little OLD lady... probably hitting a set of lady's clubs she bought at Cracker Barrel... knowing she should have brought her walker to the course in case she needed to get up and down from elevated greens... hearing her Depends 'squishing' every time she sat down on the cart seat... beat you????????? And you haven't sold your golf clubs and used the money for some Mary Kay cosmetics, a new color of nail polish, and a bottle of Nair to make certain your leg hair doesn't show through your panty hose???? :D:D:D:D

Members online