• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
Who likes to play golf? I know I do. Life without golf would be like a world without hamburgers.

Both would suck.

Kevin

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Golf to me is like pizza or sex. Even when it's bad it's still good!

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
The only way I wouldn't be playing golf on a nice spring or summer day would be if I was taking my ski-boat out, and with the price of gasoline, and going up, taking the boat out is looking less and less attractive.

Fill up the truck------- $60.00
fill up the boat-------- $60.00
fill the cooler ----------$60.00
misc. expenses--------$60.00

That's a round of golf at a really nice course, and I don't have to worry about towing a 19ft boat home after drinking in the hot sun all day.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
I play golf.
There are days, I've gone without breakfast and lunch... just to play.
I play golf.
Usually, my wife of 45 years is understanding of my additction. There have been time, however, that I've played golf and paid the consequences. Silence can be golden, unless you know that silence is a cold shoulder.
I play golf.
If the course is open, we play. We've played rounds when the temperature has not been above 30 degrees F for the entire round. We've played rounds when the temperature did not fall below 95 degrees F for the entire round. We've played in driving rainstorms. And, we played one round in a sleet/ice/snow mix that left everyone close to pnemonia.
I play golf.
Had a kidney stone, a few years ago. Urologist put in a stent on Friday, gave me pain meds, and set up for the ultra-sound disintegration the following week. I kept both Saturday and Sunday tee times... peeing blood.
I play golf.
Working 5-day, 50+ hour weeks... in a climate where our course was shut down the first 60 days of the year, I still logged over 100 rounds last year.
I play golf.
My best round for 2010 was a 74. Was one of those days when everything seemed to work. Usually in the low to mid-80's. I'll turn 65 this year. If the Good Lord allows me to keep my health, in another few years I should be able to shoot my age.
I play golf.

OP
Esox

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
I play golf.
There are days, I've gone without breakfast and lunch... just to play.
I play golf.
Usually, my wife of 45 years is understanding of my additction. There have been time, however, that I've played golf and paid the consequences. Silence can be golden, unless you know that silence is a cold shoulder.
I play golf.
If the course is open, we play. We've played rounds when the temperature has not been above 30 degrees F for the entire round. We've played rounds when the temperature did not fall below 95 degrees F for the entire round. We've played in driving rainstorms. And, we played one round in a sleet/ice/snow mix that left everyone close to pnemonia.
I play golf.
Had a kidney stone, a few years ago. Urologist put in a stent on Friday, gave me pain meds, and set up for the ultra-sound disintegration the following week. I kept both Saturday and Sunday tee times... peeing blood.
I play golf.
Working 5-day, 50+ hour weeks... in a climate where our course was shut down the first 60 days of the year, I still logged over 100 rounds last year.
I play golf.
My best round for 2010 was a 74. Was one of those days when everything seemed to work. Usually in the low to mid-80's. I'll turn 65 this year. If the Good Lord allows me to keep my health, in another few years I should be able to shoot my age.
I play golf.

Now we're getting some golf talk going. Limp, has your wife of 45 years ever played?

As I've mentioned before, I play a lot of golf with my wife and daughter. I've never looked at golf as a sanctuary away from my family, and have come to enjoy it more now that my daughter is a player and wife is back out there. My golf rounds are 50% family, 40% men's club/club events, 10% away from club with non-member friends, and 5% outing/scrambles.

I've gotten away from practicing the last year or so as I work with my daughter. I'm going to practice more this season for another 5% golf time.

Kevin

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
No! My wife has never played this game... and, as far as both she and I are concerned... never will!!! My wife was a call girl (telephone operator for the old Southwestern Bell) when I met her in 1965. Now... she's just a hooker (she crochets... crochets beautiful things with a craft that has been all but lost). She crochets... I play golf. She is NOT a "morning" person. I'm always up before 5 a.m., 7 days/week. Our group always has the first tee time on Saturdays and Sundays at our course. Most of the time, we can play and I'll be back home about the time she's rising. So... it's not as if I'm taking significant time away from her to play this dastardly game.
My wife's favorite place to "sneak away to" is Hobby Lobby. Mine... Golf Galaxy. Whenever we go anywhere out of town, she has to have her crochet bag along. Whenever we go out of town, my golf bag is in the trunk of the car or the backseat of the truck. She crochets as I drive. When we get to a destination, I look for golf shops in the area where I might find a bargain.
No... my wife does not play golf. Oft times, I thank the Good Lord for that fact!!! :thumbs up:

jossecarr

Feb 7, 2011
I like golf and as a beginner, I play the game one step at a time. Constant practice and hard work will sure pay off.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I play golf.

I play golf in tournaments and competitive skins, in silence where carefully lining up putts, and planning shots.

I play golf know locally as "beer golf" where the beer flows plentifully, the music from the ipod is good, and friends cut up and laugh. What score?

I play golf for that muted "click" in the middle of the clubface and that split second feeling of "that might go in!"

I play golf for the laughter of my buddies when my next shot is bounced off the hosel into no mans land.

I play golf for the frustration.

I play golf for the instant that frustration is erased with one good swing.

I play golf to forget the stress of work and worries of life.

I play golf because my wife would probably shoot me if I were home all the time.

I play golf because “Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented.” - Arnold Palmer

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
I always liked the "tuning fork vibrating in my loins".

Good friends, beer, cart girls, green grass on spring mornings, butterflies, hell I even like sand in my shoes from bunkers. :cool:

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
You guys have it pretty much covered. I have my regular group that I haven't seen all winter. Looking forward so much to that first round..........good comradery, good beer, lots of laughs, and probably some really bad start-of-the-season golf. But it sure beats everything else on this planet. My wife is not athletic in any way, but does her thing and I do mine, and we meet afterwards for a good meal and drinks. Life is good. Winter sucks.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
My wife is not athletic in any way, but does her thing and I do mine, and we meet afterwards for a good meal and drinks. Life is good.

My wife is blonde. Even with what should be graying, if not for some 'paint', she's always been blonde. Both my daughters are blonde. One has dark brown hair. Between the ears, she is just as blonde as her Mother and sister. I cannot imagine a round of golf with the love of my life!
"Why do you want me to use that club?" "Why can't we play to that other hole?" "Why do we have to play each hole by the numbers?" "Why can't you go faster in the cart?" "Slow down, you're driving the cart too fast!" "Why can't I use a bigger ball?" "Why can't I hit my driver on the green instead of using the putter?" "Are we done yet?" "Why can't we just play 3 holes and call it a day?" "Why are you so quiet?" "Would you quit talking so much and let me play what ever club I want to!!" "You're not nearly as good a player as you tell eveyone you are." "What do you mean, you can't concentrate when I'm along? What's concentration got to do with this game?" "Are you sure this is where you go every Saturday and Sunday morning? If I played as often as you play, I'd be a lot better than you!" "Why do they put the flags and the holes on the green? Why arent' the flags and holes out in the fairway?" "Do they use those sandtraps for anything else? Could I bring the grandkids out here and let them play in the sand?" "Why are we looking for your ball out here in the trees? You've got lots more in your golf bag." "Hey, there's a ball over there on that other green. Can we go pick it up before those guys walking up that fairway get it?" "What do you mean, you could play better if our 5 year old granddaughter was along... instead of me!"

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Got all my gear in the vehicle, now just need it to warm up a bit. Next week supposed to get near 50º which is fine with me. A number of courses are open, some of them I don't know why though because they have to be swamps due to all the rain and melting snow we had in the past week.

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
There's still a lot of snow here............and flood warnings in effect for the next week. Don't think I'll be playing for awhile.

Members online