• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golfworld: Advice From an Infectious Disease Expert on Playing Golf During Coronavirus

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
Embed from Getty Images

I'VE BEEN MENTALLY PLANNING a golf outing at my semi-deserted municipal course in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.

Golf is played outside. What could be healthier?

Especially when there are no crowds. In fact, practically no one around and only a few cars in the parking lot. That's the norm where I play, even before the coronavirus.

Golfworld asked an infectious disease expert, "Can you play golf amid coronavirus concerns?"

The answer: "With proper precautions, yes."

An excerpt:
According to Dr. Catherine Troisi, an infectious disease epidemiologist at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, golf as it's normally played—outdoors, with natural social-distancing built in—"would be fairly safe."
Generally, the key is to be more than six feet away from others. Stay out of gimme distance.
"As much as we know anything for now, we know that if you're more than six feet from somebody, they're not going to spread it to you. So even within your foursome, you just stay a little bit farther away than you might ordinarily," Troisi said.​
Read the entire article.

(H/T Geoff Shackelford)

Source: Golfworld: Advice From an Infectious Disease Expert on Playing Golf During Coronavirus

🔥 Latest posts

Members online