• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Good looks vs. forgiveness

Anders_H

mmmm, beer
Mar 12, 2015
Gavle
Country
Sweden Sweden
Don't get carried away guys, it's about golf clubs...irons to be specific.
A friend said to me a few years back that if he likes what he sees when he looks down, he plays better regardless if it's a blade or a frying pan (he, like me enjoys the thinner topline of a blade-ish iron). Don't get me wrong, I always feel good when I look down, but back to the golf clubs...

What do you think? Does a nicer looking players iron compensate mentally for the forgiveness in the game improvements clubs?

I wonder how long it will take for this thread to move in a different direction...

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
I wonder how long it will take for this thread to move in a different direction...

"Different direction"??? Not on ShotTalk!!!

Most of my golf experience has been with GI irons. '95 and '97 Big Bertha irons... Ping Zings, Zing 2's, G20's... I've also played my share of blades. When looking at a set of used Mizzy M64's last week, I could not believe how much they flat out scared me. It's been entirely too long and I'm entirely too old to play "bling". So, for me, I have to look down on something that gives me confidence. That's a GI type iron.

OP
Anders_H

Anders_H

mmmm, beer
Mar 12, 2015
Gavle
Country
Sweden Sweden
Ok, I get your point. For me, I don't mind adding a few strokes per round if I just have a set of clubs I enjoy looking at. I won't be playing on tour anytime soon...just play because the love of the game.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
I love the bling - the eye candy- Mizzy's are just plain beautiful. But, when I look down the shaft, I have to see "hit-a-licious" - that equates to lots of offset and a big, high-toe, face. Then I can swing with confidence.

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
I got to be able to look at it. The best part of the G25's is Ping slimmed down the soles a bit. I tend to go towards more of a players style iron...

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
All I care about is how it feels and performs. Looks are just a bonus.

Developed that mentality in my late teens...

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I have played both, feel cooler hitting blades. Best round ever was with Hogan blades.

The I3's I have now are stupid easy to hit. I haven't been on the course with them much. And as stupid easy as they are to hit, I'm still lusting over a set of Titleist 710 CB's.

OP
Anders_H

Anders_H

mmmm, beer
Mar 12, 2015
Gavle
Country
Sweden Sweden
I played Maltby TE Forged that I borrowed from a friend for six months while spending a winter in Thailand a few years ago. Beautiful clubs and I played one of my best golf ever. Came back home and when the season started I was back hitting my frying pans (Wilson Di6) with mixed success. Now is the first time I'm starting a season with a bag of beauties, hopefully my season premiere is on tuesday, wish me luck...or not.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
So why do you play golf? To hang out, look cool, or is it to shoot the best score you can? I used to play a lot and I used to play blades. But there is no doubt that if I'm out to shoot the best score I can these days I'm better off playing a more forgiving perimeter weighted club. Playing once a week makes me a little more inconsistent. And when I play in competitions I always play to shoot my best. If Limp's shovels / Magnums let me do that I'd be all over them.

I see too many golfers playing with clubs that are beyond them. But hey, if you're having fun doing it then go for it!

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I'm a certified and well documented iron ho, I love the look of a beautiful forged iron but know I'm not consistent enough to hit them well all the time. I prefer forgiveness any day and twice on Sunday.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
So why do you play golf? To hang out, look cool, or is it to shoot the best score you can? I used to play a lot and I used to play blades. But there is no doubt that if I'm out to shoot the best score I can these days I'm better off playing a more forgiving perimeter weighted club. Playing once a week makes me a little more inconsistent. And when I play in competitions I always play to shoot my best. If Limp's shovels / Magnums let me do that I'd be all over them.

I see too many golfers playing with clubs that are beyond them. But hey, if you're having fun doing it then go for it!
This is dead on! And he's one of the lower handicaps around here, if memory serves me.

OP
Anders_H

Anders_H

mmmm, beer
Mar 12, 2015
Gavle
Country
Sweden Sweden
I play because I love the game of golf. And like I said in my previous post I played some of my best golf using players irons so it's not about looking cool...far from it, I'm almost 50 so my cool days are over :)
I just enjoy the experience of being on a golf course hitting a few good shots and not having to think about everything that "needs" to be done at home or at work, just being in the moment. I usually shoots in the mid to high 80's but this year I'm going to take the first lesson of my life, sub 80, here I come...

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
I have played almost every type of iron except for a true blade. It never seemed to make a ton of difference. The average hack my drop a stroke or two by going with a forged cavity back over a larger cast GI club, but who cares? Play what you like.

I think forgiving irons help better players more. Their misses are smaller and this is where they can really see the help. My bad shots are bad, would not have made much difference if they were hit with a G5 or an I5.

OP
Anders_H

Anders_H

mmmm, beer
Mar 12, 2015
Gavle
Country
Sweden Sweden
Thats' why I started this thread, just to check with you if you think that the psychological effect in holding a club that feels and look good both in your mind and hands can help you play better golf. Every year there is a new set of clubs that is straighter and longer... Were the clubs from the mid 90's that bad?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.