1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Google Earth Photos....

Discussion in 'Golf Pictures' started by usa1950, Oct 6, 2007.

1. usa1950

usa1950 Divots like a 72 Playboy

I thought it might be fun to start a thread with Google Earth Photos.....

Why not post a satellite image of a hole you aced (which I have not yet done... :() or maybe an image of a hole you eagled, or holed out, etc. Long Drives, Famous Holes, etc.

You can save photos, add text, etc... as I did below. If you are not familiar with Google Earth, it is a seemless collection of satellite photos of pretty much every square inch of the planet. Look up your favorite places from as high up as a few miles, all the way down to less than 100 feet. For example, the day the satellite photographed my parents house, I must have been there... as my car is in their driveway!

Learn more at Google Earth You will need at least an average speed connection, imo. There is a giant google earth community, with people posting odd finds, historic places, etc. Message Boards, and more. I haven't got into that yet, but the application is fun as hell, and addictive.

We can have the same fun with golf images. The link to download the FREE Google Earth application is in the top right hand corner of the google earth home page.

To start..... I simply cannot believe the amount of dog-leg in #13 at Augusta National. I knew you had to really carve it around the corner... but WOW!

Augusta 12 and 13.
    Augusta 12 and 13.

2. usa1950

Quite Simply the longest drive I have ever hit....

The line drawn on the photo is a Google Earth "tool" which allows you to measure the distances between any two points on your image, using miles, kilometers, meters, or in this case, yards. Click on one point (the tee box you use) click on the next point, where you ball landed (on the back fringe for me) and Google Earth calculates the distance between the two.

I obviously cut the corner on this little par 4, at a course just a few miles from my house just north of Indianapolis, IN. And yes.... that's a CORNFIELD to the west of the golf course, lol.

Long Drive at Stony Creek.

This long drive stuff is of course ripe for abuse (Someone will surely post an image claiming "I hit a 435 yard drive the first time I ever played!!!") but it will be fun for the rest of us.

Another use for this..... Does your home course have a sharp dogleg hole, or a hole where you can't hit driver off the tee? How far is it to the bend/lay-up area? Is it different than what the course says it is? It was for me.
    Long Drive at Stony Creek.

3. usa1950

And the most treacherous 130 yards in golf..... The 17th at Sawgrass. I've been to two Tour stops there... and one Sunday, about 1 hour after the tournament ended.... we took a few short irons out there, a handful of balls, and you guessed it... had a go.

My first ball landed on, but the next four were wet. The two other guys I was with are hacks, and were all wet.

Very cool looking from the air, anyway.

17th at Sawgrass.
    17th at Sawgrass.

4. usa1950

Another note.... on the bottom right of each photo, you can see the height each shot was captured from.

For example, the shot of the 17th at Sawgrass is from 519 feet up......

5. usa1950

#5 at another course nearby.... still my longest hole out for an eagle 2......

#6 at Britton GC.
    #6 at Britton GC.

6. usa1950

If you don't have Google Earth, and aren't planning to check it out (you really should... imo) and you want me to post your "ace" hole.

Let me know the name of the course, hole number, some description of the hole (so I post the correct par 3) and something about the location of the course.

i.e. on the corner of Main Street and Hacker Drive, hole 7 (closest hole to hacker drive) the hole has a pond left of the green and a bunker short and right.... something like that.

I'll do what I can..... Bryan

7. 5iron

5iron Guest

Awesome thread idea, but i only have holes i parred lol...:)

8. ezra76

ezra76 Well-Known Member

Wow. #13 is sick.

Google Earth doesn't have very good photo's around my area. They are over 5yrs. old best I can figure. My old boss had a truck in the lot on the image that he'd gotten rid of in like 2002.

This is most likely a winter photo since the lot at this little POS course is never empty when it's light outside. I hit a drive on this hole with the wind using my old 360XD into the bunker. Somewhere around 330 according to GE. Why did I donate that driver to the 1st tee? :laugh:

longdrive.
    longdrive.

9. SplooGe

SplooGe Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Here is one of the long drive holes that stands out. 342 as per GE. Put it in the bunker in front of the green.
    Long Drive.

10. lamebums

lamebums 300 yards into the woods.

[​IMG]

The entire complex.

[​IMG]

Longest drive this year.

11. JamesR

JamesR Interlocking Now

[​IMG]

Longest drive to date, 310 on the 575 par 5 18th at Shepherds crook

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v444_jrr11991_N9Holeinone.
    Hole in one hole, 124 yard par 3 at National 9, a cool, short links course

12. usa1950

Those are some long pokes, gentlemen.... except for Ezra. He played the day the course was all burnt out like in the photo. Even when you hit a drive about three grooves too low, and carry it about 190 (with the ball never higher than about 20 feet in the air) it will still roll the remaining 140... LOL.

Definitely a winter picture, or they forgot to pay the water bill for about three months!

I found this, perhaps the most interesting setting of any golf course in the World. I am a bit of a nut for Ancient Egyptian History, and would like to visit the Giza Plateau someday. I guess I'll bring my sticks!!!

Cheops loved Golf.
    Cheops loved Golf.

13. usa1950

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Ace.
    Ace.

14. 5iron

5iron Guest

I have gone to the pyramids twice and i have never noticed a golf course lol...:laugh:

And lol, nice drives every1`, and awesome hole in one James R, and Usa1950, lol

Cool pics everyone.

15. Sandpiper3

Sandpiper3 Golf Course Designer

usa- howd you get onto the 17th at sawgrass?!?!?

Did the one you hit the green stay on?

16. usa1950

Back in the day, I worked for a big brewery based out of St. Louis, and specifically Sports Marketing for the Michelob Brand. We followed the PGA Tour and Senior Tour from city to city. I've been to more than 75 tournaments...

So, after the The Players one Sunday.... we were parked in the area, had cleaned up our gear/exhibit. The place was deserted except for a few maintenance guys, and some people who hung around for about 90 minutes after the event, we took about a dozen balls, and some short irons we had back with our Michelob stuff, jumped the rope, walked right up to the tee the players used that Sunday, and hit a few shots each.

We had some pretty sweet PGA Tour Credentials (money clips similar to what the players have on their belts/caps) which got us anywhere.. clubhouse, any tent, etc.... so I doubt that there would have been a HUGE problem had someone wandered by, but it still felt a little wrong.

Yes, my first ball hit and stayed on. It was an easy 8 iron. One of the other guys had the 9.

Whey you are on the tee.... the green is a miniscule little "slliver" of land. The water is enormous.

It's really hard to describe... the green just seems so tiny it is unbelievable.

So, that Sunday, the last shot hit on 17 was NOT by the last pairing of the day.... :laugh:

17. mediaguru

mediaguru Well-Known Member

18. Sandpiper3

a punch sw to the first tee....

i hate you.:D

Can I come visit?:)

19. ezra76

ezra76 Well-Known Member

I carried it there. [​IMG] Not! I can carry one about 265-270 if I come off the ground... I was on a monitor with a Callaway rep carrying 262 with a 113mph SS, pretty much all out.

Check out this monster. This is the course I played with Twofast on Fri. Hopefully we'll be going for a rematch on Mon. This thing is sick off the tips. That's the par 3 9hole course over on the right. They give you a few short par 4's on the back then smack you with this par 5 and 460 uphill 4 to finish.

The yardage box didn't come up but it's 645 on that line to the middle of the green. I attempted to hit driver off the deck on Fri., pretty well pointless as I was probably still 370 out. lol. Twofast and I were dead even within inches on our drives. We outdrove the guys playing with us by nearly 100 yds. lol.

swanseamonster.
    swanseamonster.

20. Sandpiper3

That's the swansea course you guys played Ez?

How far am I from RI here.... Once I get a freakin car ill make the trip one weekend and i'll come join you and twofast for a round!:)