• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

gps range finders

Freet

Hacker with good intentio
Aug 30, 2009
I told my wife I would like one for x'mas. She asked what kind and my reply was.... "Let me get back to you on this."

So, anyone got any suggestions?

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
is there a budget? do you mind paying a yearly fee? what about paying for mapping? there a GPS that you can buy where basic is free,but the deluxe mapping is extra. do you want a colour display?

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Skycaddie has the best/most course mappings and for me that is the most important thing.

Otherwise, almost all them have virtually the same GPS receiver technology in them. They are consumer grade and decent. What separates one GPS unit from another is the mapping database and the operating software (features, user interface, etc.)

Figure out which features are most important to you and make your decision based on that. Do you just want just yardage front/center/rear? (If so, I'd actually consider a Laser Rangefinder). If you want your GPS to act more like an electronic yardage book with features like distance to/carry hazards and key points on the hole then consider a unit like a SkyCaddie or uPro.

I wouldn't worry too much about a monthly fee (well actually most are yearly). I have the SkyCaddie plan that covers the whole U.S. and the cost per year is about the cost of a dozen ProV's. I don't have to renew, I just can't download any new courses or get any (fairly rare) software updates if it expires.

I suspect as Christmas nears there will be some good sales on all the GPS units. Go to some golf stores if you can and look at them and try them.

Here's a GPS user's tip: If you want best accuracy, don't carry your GPS unit around in your pocket or wear it on a belt clip. Why? Because your body de-tunes the antenna circuit and your received satellite signals will drop considerably. Buy a neoprene case for it and clip it to your bag (easy on/off) or buy a cart mount for your cart or walking cart.

Most people don't realize that the GPS receiver accumulates satellite data continuously from as many as 14 satellites and continuously runs the position data through a software filter than updates position one to ten times a second. As the number of satellites received drops, the updates are not as fast or as accurate. Also, when you wear the GPS receiver close to your body you will almost always lose the WAAS land based signal. This is the main thing that allows accurate (down to a meter or less) position readings.

When you take the unit back out of your pocket it will have to re-acquire the satellites it had before you put it in your pocket as well as the WAAS ground based transmitter signal. This process can take from several to 10-15 seconds or more. Until then, the unit will make it's "best guess" as to your current position. I believe this is the #1 reason people think Golf GPS units are not accurate -- they basically aren't using them correctly. The manufacturers don't do themselves any favors by showing guys with the GPS receiver in their pockets in their advertisements either...

No, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night... I have actually designed a half dozen or so GPS receivers. :laugh:

Anyway, my experience is that if you are getting a good signal then the performance difference amongst the golf GPS units is pretty much the same. The difference will be how easy is the unit to operate and read while your playing and how accurate is the mapping of the course.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I've been pretty happen with my Garmin Golf Logix GPS that I got last year. I think I pay a yearly fee, but I can't remember. It's accurate, and all that good stuff. Good price too.

Kumabjorn

Oct 30, 2009
Are there any GPS units that you can manipulate so you receive military grade positioning? Shouldn't that enable you to get the distance on your putts to within an inch? A control freak's wet dream.

thumper

Oct 31, 2007
anyone have the bushnell neo? it seems to be reasonably priced, but not any bells and whistles.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Thread hijack...

Is there any good application to be found for the i phone for this purpose or is it worth getting a GPS range finder ?

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
2nd on the Golflogix, been extremely pleased with mine. Supposedly it's a $25 yearly fee which I paid the beginning of last year. It's been over 18 months & have never gotten another bill which is fine by me.

Wayneo

From the bunker
Dec 31, 2008
Xamilo - freecaddie works on the iPhone. It'll only show ya front center back for the course if it exists. If it does not, you can map it yourself, using Google maps, and upload it to their site.

Go to freecaddie.com from your iphone. Download the iphone version. fire up the app and make sure the GPS is on. It should find courses within say 20 miles of your current location. Download to your iPhone, and away you go. For an extra $30ish you will be able to see all the points mapped other than front center back.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I can tell you not to get an iGolf. My experience with the iGolf Triton has not been good. First one died within the first 3 months. Got a replacement which has worked fine with the courses they have mapped. Only one problem....nearly a year after getting it the majority of courses in my area remain un-mapped for the Triton.

Skiddlydiddly

Jul 17, 2007
anyone have the bushnell neo? it seems to be reasonably priced, but not any bells and whistles.

I have the Bushnell Neo. Terrific value. Reliable, accurate, extremely simple to use. Have had no problems with it thus far (1 season).

EDIT: Also, you download every course you might need (up to 100 I think), as the files are yours to keep, then don't renew your membership.

somanyqs

Jan 30, 2008
the igolf neo is crazy cheap (i think only the izzo 1500 is less).
if you want a recap of a bunch you might want to check this site
Golf GPS Reviews | Critical Golf
you should think about which are the most important things - like do you really want a scorecard? (may seem stupid, but i think its handy - but i dont think a scorecard comes with some of the devices like the skycaddie) do you want a satellite picture or a graphic? (the graphics generally look better in bright light i think) etc

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
you should think about which are the most important things - like do you really want a scorecard? (may seem stupid, but i think its handy - but i dont think a scorecard comes with some of the devices like the skycaddie)

Skycaddie has a scorecard, and putts per hole.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.