• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Grand Day Out at Royal County Down Golf Club

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Had a great day today playing at RCDGC. Shot a 77 (+6) with 2 birds and 8 bogies. Greens were great. Conditions were perfect.

Playing 6,800 off the whites.

Played with my brother, 2 of his clients and yours truly on the right.
RCDGC 003.jpg
RCDGC 005.jpg
RCDGC 007.jpg
RCDGC 009.jpg

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Yeah, he had a funny swing. He totally spun round to the left. Actually he hit it a fair trip and played off 14, not bad really.

btw he's me on the signature hole #4

195 yards Par 3, hit a 4 iron about 10 yards from the flag off the green to the right. Almost impossible to chip it close, I made a bogey.:(

YouTube - IG on 4 at RCDGC

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Fantastic photos....Is this course a possibility for The OPen Championship at some point???

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Fantastic photos....Is this course a possibility for The OPen Championship at some point???

Don't worry Bravo, ill take lots of pics at Turnberry in '09!!!!

And of Royal Troon, and Prestwick, and another Open venue I cant remember at the moment:laugh:

(although im dead serious:D:D:D)

Nice swing there! That hole looks sweet. I wish you had a vid of that other guy's swing! lmao.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
RCD is my favorite course in the world, played it a couple of times while travelling in Ireland and Scotland, I enjoyed it more than Carnoustie, St. Andrews, and Dornoch. Just wish the dollar wasn't so weak, I would love to go back again.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
RCD is my favorite course in the world, played it a couple of times while travelling in Ireland and Scotland, I enjoyed it more than Carnoustie, St. Andrews, and Dornoch. Just wish the dollar wasn't so weak, I would love to go back again.

Ireland is definitely next. I just pray that the USD can recover.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Here's me again, this time ont he 16th. This hole was lengthend to 320 (from 270 yards) a few years ago. It's a crazy shot with a driver unless you can hard a low hard fade.

I found the bunker on the right about 270 out. FRom that bunker, I hit the greenside bunker and then got up and down for par. Easy 4! :)

YouTube - IG on 16 at RCDGC

I think my alignment is screwed. Looks like I was aiming directly for that bunker.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004

B

The Open is decided on more than the course. Facilities, parking, hotels, infrastructure etc all add up to RCDGC being on the B list. Pity as the course is fantAstic.

5iron

Here's me again, this time ont he 16th. This hole was lengthend to 320 (from 270 yards) a few years ago. It's a crazy shot with a driver unless you can hard a low hard fade.

I found the bunker on the right about 270 out. FRom that bunker, I hit the greenside bunker and then got up and down for par. Easy 4! :)

YouTube - IG on 16 at RCDGC

I think my alignment is screwed. Looks like I was aiming directly for that bunker.

Nice driver swing there, and that last 4iron video sounded so flushhhh :laugh:. Cool looking course there, can you distinctly know where the fairway and the greens are ? And great 77 there with the 2 birdies.

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Great pics IG - I missed out on the pilgrimmage to RCD this year with the young lad in hospital ... ahem ... what did the locals make of ya turning up in yer St. Patrick's Day outfit ?? :biglol:

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Here's me again, this time ont he 16th. This hole was lengthend to 320 (from 270 yards) a few years ago.

I can remember driving through that green and onto the 17th tee box when I was 16 year old ! Thought the finishing 3 holes were poor enough for such an otherwise great course. The last is a good enough hole, although not quite so sure about a par-5 finishing hole.

Steady enough scoring there though, Marko. I take it you were playing the 9th as a par-4 ? I played it as a 5 when I played to make a 72.
Barry McGrotty had a '2' there in the Nick Faldo Junior Series the year after me - 2 drivers into the hole. Pretty bloody good that, eh !!? :D

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I can remember driving through that green and onto the 17th tee box when I was 16 year old ! Thought the finishing 3 holes were poor enough for such an otherwise great course. The last is a good enough hole, although not quite so sure about a par-5 finishing hole.

Steady enough scoring there though, Marko. I take it you were playing the 9th as a par-4 ? I played it as a 5 when I played to make a 72.
Barry McGrotty had a '2' there in the Nick Faldo Junior Series the year after me - 2 drivers into the hole. Pretty bloody good that, eh !!? :D

Andy
The last is easy if you hit the fairway with your drive, the fairway with your lay-up and hit the green in 3. Otherwise it has something like 32 bunkers, a crap load of rough and the green itself is fairly trecherous. :)

Pretty impressive from young McGrotty. The 9th played 430 on Friday. Into the breeze for me it was a blocked drive and a hybrid to 20ft for a relatively easy par. I was happy with that.

🔥 Latest posts