• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Grand Day Out at Royal County Down Golf Club

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
B

The Open is decided on more than the course. Facilities, parking, hotels, infrastructure etc all add up to RCDGC being on the B list. Pity as the course is fantAstic.

M:

I've got a lot of friends who have played in Ireland/Norn' and absolutely raved about RCDGC...I had no idea however if it had the hotels and infrastructure to support TOC....too bad because from a TV viewership standpoint, with those hills in the background, it would likely be the most scenic OC course....

WildCatGolfer17

Aug 16, 2007
Agreed. 100%.

Im still trying to figure out whats going on with the guy in the 4th pic.... Is he facing his targe? Is his swing really that awkward? Whats going on there?

I dont think thats real golf in a way. I mean sure its golf but "real" Real to me is lots of hazards, Trees Elevation changes narrow fairways.. Not wild grass 2 feet tall with pot bunkers here and there in 40 yard wide fairways... please...

The master

Oct 24, 2004
I dont think thats real golf in a way. I mean sure its golf but "real" Real to me is lots of hazards, Trees Elevation changes narrow fairways.. Not wild grass 2 feet tall with pot bunkers here and there in 40 yard wide fairways... please...

Each to their own. I see that as target golf. RCDGC is all about playing the right type of shot at the right time, given the conditions. You have to manufacture shots, and you will use every shot in your bag around that golf course. I can't wait for the day I get to play this track again. I just need to find someone who is a member so I can get on for £15.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Each to their own. I see that as target golf. RCDGC is all about playing the right type of shot at the right time, given the conditions. You have to manufacture shots, and you will use every shot in your bag around that golf course. I can't wait for the day I get to play this track again. I just need to find someone who is a member so I can get on for £15.

Well done Grasshopper! You learn well. 2 years ago would have seen possibly different response, no? Kudos! And A+ for grammar and spelling. :)

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Well done Grasshopper! You learn well. 2 years ago would have seen possibly different response, no? Kudos! And A+ for grammar and spelling. :)

Agreed...Adam good job - you are coming along well....

But what ever happened to the turkey???

sincerely,

bravo:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Here's me again, this time ont he 16th. This hole was lengthend to 320 (from 270 yards) a few years ago. It's a crazy shot with a driver unless you can hard a low hard fade.

I found the bunker on the right about 270 out. FRom that bunker, I hit the greenside bunker and then got up and down for par. Easy 4! :)

YouTube - IG on 16 at RCDGC

I think my alignment is screwed. Looks like I was aiming directly for that bunker.

That's what I was thinking. My first thought when looking at that hole was "powerfade, big time". I'd love to play a course like that. Best I can get around here is when the wind kicks up and I can ride it or fight it. Other than that, you guys are right, mostly target golf.

Thanks for the pics.
icon14.gif

The master

Oct 24, 2004

Agreed...Adam good job - you are coming along well....

But what ever happened to the turkey???

sincerely,

bravo:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

:laugh: Well I had to learn how to spell at some point in my life.

Bravo there has been a postal strike for the past 2 years here, so the turkey is still on its way and should arrive by this christmas.

Well IG how are you fixed for a game sometime? A UK golf outing sounds good to me, now that the shottalk UK membership base has grown a lot over the past year???

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
:laugh: Well I had to learn how to spell at some point in my life.

Bravo there has been a postal strike for the past 2 years here, so the turkey is still on its way and should arrive by this christmas.

Well IG how are you fixed for a game sometime? A UK golf outing sounds good to me, now that the shottalk UK membership base has grown a lot over the past year???

I thought you UK guys had an outing planned already?

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I thought you UK guys had an outing planned already?

It kinda fell through, lack of enthusiasm, money etc. Still I'd be glad to entertian you again some time over the Winter round The Port. You got wheels yet? Let me know and we'll fix something up. btw I think I texted you by mistake last week, which means i still obviously have your mobile no.

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
The master;170429.................Well IG how are you fixed for a game sometime? A UK golf outing sounds good to me said:
....... I take it us Republicans have been discarded like an oily rag !!!!

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
....... I take it us Republicans have been discarded like an oily rag !!!!

My new SC requires an oily rag, so I wouldn't ever discard that. As for Republicans...what was the question again?

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
:laugh: @ you guys.

:laugh: , aussi, at WildcatGolfer and his "that ain't real golf" comments. In fact, make that 2 X :laugh:.

Yes, we must get something sorted real quick. Be good to get a couple of 4-balls or something sorted out. Hopefully get a good enough day weather-wise for it, as well.

We should also get a British Isles V. The Yanks Shottalk Ryder Cup like comp. going, too. Make it bi-annual with you guys coming over here and vice versa. I'm sure we could organsise something given a fair bit of time, etc....:confused:

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
too bad because from a TV viewership standpoint, with those hills in the background, it would likely be the most scenic OC course....

Brav., I have climed said hill. It is called Slieve Donard and I placed my rock right at the top of a huge pile of rocks so that mine was at the highest point in all of Northern Ireland :) Still have the little rock to this very day - and this was a hike that was done 10 or 11 years ago...! :laugh:

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.