• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Graphite or lighter steel shaft?

SpeedyPro

Sep 5, 2007
Hi all

Everyone ready for the weekend? It's Friday!

I got question about shaft weight. I have a set of Mizuno MP-60 with DG R300 (125g) and a set of TM R7 with graphite shaft (65g). As is expected, I hit straighter with MP-60 and longer with R7.
So I guess I can find a good compromise with shafts around 95-105g.
Which shaft in this weight range do you guys use and like?

SP

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
We need a little more information:

Are you a young guy who expects to get bigger and stronger? Then stay with some steel.

Are you an old fart whose best days are behind you? Then get some good graphite, but be prepared to spend some money for good matched ones.

My standard advice is to go see a good clubfitter like Dana Upshaw who can put in any kind of shaft you want, but it will be the right shaft, the one that will maximize accuracy and distance.

OP
S

SpeedyPro

Sep 5, 2007
We need a little more information:

Are you a young guy who expects to get bigger and stronger? Then stay with some steel.

Are you an old fart whose best days are behind you? Then get some good graphite, but be prepared to spend some money for good matched ones.

My standard advice is to go see a good clubfitter like Dana Upshaw who can put in any kind of shaft you want, but it will be the right shaft, the one that will maximize accuracy and distance.

Thanks. I am 38 and I think my best days are gone, I'm on the downhill. I am not a very strong guy either. I hit 7-iron 140 yds with DG R300, 150+ yds with 65g graphite, but consistency is lower with graphite.

I live in Maryland, I wonder if there's any good clubfitter in my area.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
You're 38 and on the downswing? I'm 60 and didn't hit my prime (such that it is) golfing until around 50 and shot my lowest scores last summer (age 59). I would say you will stay were you are at for quite a few years and can adjust your shaft to gain what you want... :)

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
If you can find them, demo a set of Nippon 950 GH's. I play them in my beach set and really like them.

Once you've found a shaft you like, be sure to get them fitted.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
At 38, I'd think you are still strong enough for steel. I'm 55 and Dana said that the Rifle 5.0s were exactly what I needed.

I hit the 7 iron 150-155, which is about 10 yards more than I hit it before I had these shafts fitted.

lamebums

300 yards into the woods.
Jul 4, 2007
Hi all

Everyone ready for the weekend? It's Friday!

I got question about shaft weight. I have a set of Mizuno MP-60 with DG R300 (125g) and a set of TM R7 with graphite shaft (65g). As is expected, I hit straighter with MP-60 and longer with R7.
So I guess I can find a good compromise with shafts around 95-105g.
Which shaft in this weight range do you guys use and like?

SP

For me, the lighter, the better. My driver is fitted with a 55g shaft. I feel that the lighter it is, the more speed I can get - that means more distance. I only use steel in my irons because when I hit it fat, I really rip up a vegetable garden, and I've broken a lot of graphite shafts that way.

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
age is only a number.. but can your body handle it? i once talked to an old club fitter and he said on downswing, some people can exert close to metric ton on their left side. he has seen someone w/ cracked rib because of downswing.

i just turned 25 and i "feel" old... imagine what wbl must be going through.. :p

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
A metric ton on my left side? It's time to adjust my workout regimen...

I'm going to strap a Volkswagen to my back, and start running up and down the rolling hills of Central New York. Maybe then... just maybe... I'll be able to golf.

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
I always knew that size matters; but no one ever told me about age. :laugh:
Hell, I didn't even start playing golf until I was 65.

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
hey, im from maryland also.. maybe we can hook up for a round.. :) what course/courses do you normally play??

as for heavy steel, go for nippon shafts...

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I'm 44 & have been on the downswing ever since I was 19. Car accident which broke a vertebrae in my neck requiring a halo brace for 3 months has screwed me for life. Just bought a set of Clevelands with graphite shafts & so far love them. Wouldn't go back to steel if you paid me to....well ok I guess it would all depend on how much I was getting paid:laugh:

🔥 Latest posts