• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Greetings from Washington DC

titaniummd

Aug 26, 2006
Well I bought my first set of clubs in 1999 and I figured that they were defective so I bought the irons set that I currently use in 2002. I 'played' 2-3 times a year for 3 years from that period of time. After purchasing the current irons that I had, I played 6-8 times in 2002 to mid 2003. I had taken lessons but neverr quite 'got it'. I played mostly wood shots 3,5,7 since I NEVER could hit an iron. The divot usually went farther than the ball. I considered myself more of a VANDAL or GARDENER than a 'golfer' (since I tore up the fairway).

2 years in hiatus, my clubs have been removed from the basement. My wife wanted them out for a garage sale since I never played.

I bought the game Tiger Woods Golf for the PC and kept watching the swing of the computer player. I thought, to myself, I don't have to swing at the ball like it were a rabid raccoon coming after me. Hmmm, slower controlled swing and the ball can actually travel in the air? So motivated by the fact that beating the heck out of a ball was NOT the objective, I decided to pull those clubs out of hibernation.

3 weeks ago, I started going to the driving range and just started practicing. I am actually hitting something more than just a wormburner now (sorry, Worms, no Titlelist ball massages anymore). I have gone to the driving range about 12 times and played 8 times. I have played as many times in this 3 week period and have hit more practice balls than I did cumulatively from when I bought my first set. I am starting to 'get the hang of these clubs'. I just did an overhaul of what is in my bag. I got the Cleveland HiBore (replaced the Callaway Hawkeye VFT), Cleveland Sport OS Offset woods (replaced my 'generic 3W, 5W' - the offset actually helps a HORRIBLE golfer as myself), and got a Nike OZ MP 130 putter (replacing my generic mallet putter) in the past week. Maybe a bit premature on my part to do an overhaul on the bag after coming out of hibernation. I don't know about anyone else but 460 cc's is easier to hit than those smaller head drivers.

Things have now 'clicked' and I am getting consistent contact on irons and can predict my distance, albeit not as long as most of the posters on this board (ie 8i at 150 yards??? not mine some other poster). I would have to hit a 5i to make it that far.

So, I introduce myself, as the worst golfer on this board. I still consider myself a beginner and intend to take lessons on putting and improving the distances. I shoot in the low 100s to low teens. To break 100 would be my goal.:usflag:

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
My 8 iron is only good for 145 yards, but that's OK.

Club distance is way over-rated. You need clubs you can hit straight and high, and that you know will give you a specific distance.

Welcome to the board. Keep practicising, having fun, and you will break 100 in no time.

token_hottie

token_mommy... oops!
Jan 12, 2006
Welcome aboard! Your post was very entertaining - I think you will fit right in here. Don't be afraid to ask questions, everyone here likes to help new golfers. :)

cheers,
th

ps... what kind of md are you?

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
Be careful, thats how it startsand before you know it you are eating, sleeping golf. You will be laying in bed at night thinking about the shots you made that day.....snap out of it...snap out of it!!!!!

Oh ya welcome aboard Titanium

OP
titaniummd

titaniummd

Aug 26, 2006
token_hottie said:

Diagnostic Radiologist

I just came back from the driving range and I was hitting my irons well. My woods...well...I hit my irons well.... :)

Given that I was 3 putting last night, I practiced when I got home. I forgot to put the putter back in the bag this morning. :eek:

I usually tee up my driver high and I had a hard time on the range since the height was that for a standard driver :(

I usually play with the Brush Tee - one less variable in hitting IMO.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Hi titanium:

We enjoy new golfers here...especially their stories about how they improve and learn the game.

You are doing well. Get some lessons and really commit to hitting balls during the week using the tips your pro provides.

Don't worry about length...hit it straight...the power will come with time...

OP
titaniummd

titaniummd

Aug 26, 2006
hello from Maryland... Chevy Chase to be specific. where exactly are you from titanium??

Rockville,MD

I practice at Falls Road in Potomac, MD since they closed the White Flint Hacking range. It's better off, I hated damaging the cars in the parking lot from my wicked slice. Now that I bought a new set of clubs, I am hooking the driver badly. I would practice but the weather was torrential in the past 3 days.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Loosen your grip.

Pretend you are holding a baby bird.

See if that helps at all. :)

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
Rockville,MD

I practice at Falls Road in Potomac, MD since they closed the White Flint Hacking range. It's better off, I hated damaging the cars in the parking lot from my wicked slice. Now that I bought a new set of clubs, I am hooking the driver badly. I would practice but the weather was torrential in the past 3 days.

im going out right now, possibly to falls road, maybe to Sligo Creek. the weather is great right now, a bit wet but great.

i probably have seen you at falls road, my high school (BCC) golf team practices there most days after school. i love that course, during tryouts i shot 77 there!!

yeah, i thought white flint was great, i have never sliced the ball for longer than 1 week periods. imo its a pity they closed it, i guess it was hard to turn down all that developing money for rockville pike.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Welcome aboard! Your post was very entertaining - I think you will fit right in here. Don't be afraid to ask questions, everyone here likes to help new golfers. :)

cheers,
th

Well, except for me, who chastises anyone who think's it wise to ask a question...ever.

But welcome aboard!

🔥 Latest posts