• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Grip Change

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
I was in a golf shop today trying some clubs in the simulator and everything was going left on the monitor... pulls and pull draws. Nothing that was quite a hook, but still the kind of ugly pulls that are nothing but trouble on the course. I tried shifting the ball in my stance, tried several little changes in my setup and takeaway, but nothing really seemed to help. The swing just felt awkward at impact. Then I thought.... why not start all the way back at the beginning?

I looked at my grip for the first time in ages, and realized that my left hand had rotated around to the strong side.... I guess I've been swinging this way for a while now because it felt right. But I moved it back to neutral and although it felt a bit odd my swing was immediately on line again. Every ball I hit from that point on was virtually dead straight.... and about 15 yards longer according to the simulator. Except for feel of the grip itself, the rest of the swing was better too. My snap felt less labored, and the followthrough was smooth and natural. All of a sudden I had no problem keeping the club on plane from takeawy to followthrough.

Sometimes it really is just the most fundamental things that get us screwed up...:laugh:

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Hey I'm with you. My grip will get wacky over time and flaws creep into my game. Its an eureka moment when I discover it and all is good for a while.
I guess this is why I fixate on this game. I feel these small discoveries will allow to approach the "zen" level of golf ( ya right)

Anyway I hope the change sticks with you!!!! Good luck

TheOnlyGolfProHere

Jan 1, 2007
I have to say that the same thing happened to me yesterday on the course. Everything was going left. Usually things would go right. I checked my grip, posture, stance and alignment. It finally worked it's way out, almost. I still had the tendancy to go left, but on less of a curve. I was either straight or slightly left. I will rest my body for a few days, then go back out fresh. I think I am just worn out from too much golf. I have a tourney on Saturday and I want to do well.
TOGPH

MizunoGolf27

Feb 22, 2007
It's amazing how some of the littleist things can make that much of a difference in the flight of the ball. I have been working on that a lot this winter sine I can get out and hit real balls I have been on the nets and simulators and just trying to work on different things (grip, posture, stance, etc.) and I think it is going to make a difference this upcoming season.

🔥 Latest posts