1. Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Grip Material

Discussion in 'Golf Equipment Talk' started by thekid65, Apr 15, 2012.

1. thekid65

thekid65 Well-Known Member

I just had my clubs re-gripped for the new season. I went with a Golf Pride multi-compound grip. I love them, the feel, and tackiness is great... but for one thing. These grips seem to actually suck the moisture out of my skin. After just 1 round, the tip of my right thumb was split open. Not a blister or anything, but from dryness.... it seemed my skin actually cracked.

I've always had an issue with rubber doing that to me, its one reason I can't wear flip-flops as the same thing will happen to my big toes, and my heels..wherever there is consistent pressure against the rubber.

I've had the issue with other grips as well, but only after playing 3 rounds in 1 week or so..never just 1 round.

Anyone else run into something similar, if so, how did you deal with it? These damned things were $12 each, so I dont want to replace them already..and not even sure what I'd replace them with, besides cord grips, something I've never tried. I've thought about carrying a small container of lotion around in my bag, but definitely dont want greasy or slippery skin while playing. Dont wannt go the bandaid or tape route, as I can see me fiddling with it all round trying to keep it on. As a last resort, I suppose I could go with 2 gloves, but again, I'd like to avoid if possible.

2. BigJim13

BigJim13 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Sounds like your hands are dry to begin with and the tourque/friction from the grips makes it worse. I would try lotion at night, I have really dry hands too.

3. indacup

indacup Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I agree with Big Jim...plus I am willing to bet when at address your right thumb rests on top of the grip.....it should be more wrapped along the left side...this will reduce the force and direct impact to that thumb, plus allow you to roll the club over better, get better speed...etc

4. nututhugame

nututhugame Winter Sucks! Supporting Member

United States United States
    Switch hands every once in a while when you're, well... ya know.

5. thekid65

Good points guys, even the one by Nut. I played yesterday, and approx 3 hours before the round, I lotioned my hands up very well. No thumb cracking at all.

6. SilverUberXeno

SilverUberXeno El Tigre Blanco

Thought you were suggesting trying to play golf as a lefty. Probably easier than what you suggested...

7. Golfanatic

Golfanatic Active Member

Ive split my hand open a time or two swinging the club.
    I changed my grip a bit to keep it from happening again.
    I also use waterproof tape that looks like a padless bandaid on areas of my hand that are prone to this when Im hitting a lot of balls.

These are the grips I use on all my clubs
    http://golfpride.com/Grips/Default.aspx?cat=noncord&grip=tourwrap
    Love them. Tacky as hell. Like me.

8. thekid65

I thought about using a tape of some sort..just seems that would defo mess up the feel I'm so used to

9. SilverUberXeno

SilverUberXeno El Tigre Blanco

Worth a shot. Pain is the last thing you need to compliment the torture that is golf.

10. thekid65

I'll stick with the lotion thing for now, seemed to work well. I'd like to find a small bottle of some very non-greasy type stuff that I can keep in my bag, in case I forget to put a bunch on a couple of hours before playing.