• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Grip Poll

Grip type

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
United States United States
I've been(for the last several rounds) been putting with an almost full overlap...so basically the only finger on my right hand that touches the grip is my index finger(and the thumb)

Seems to be working....until it stops working.
Im the opposite, trying to keep the lower hand fingers on the shaft more to stabilize the head from rotating in the least degree

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I was playing with a 10 finger baseball grip at the end of my season and it was working pretty good.

dknisle1

Jan 25, 2014
Time to resurrect this board. I use a right hand claw grip. I have a Fatso grip on my putter so it feels natural.

rob0225

Mar 27, 2006
Country
I've always been an interlocking grip person (was taught when I first started playing as a kid) but tried the overlapping this week. Was a comfortable grip and didn't appear to cause any issues. Matter of fact I felt I struck the ball a bit better then normal. Will continue to use it in the future.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Interlocking. Doesn't feel entirely comfortable but it was how I was taught.
I was taught to interlock when I was a kid. As I got stronger, I found that overlapping was more comfortable and more controllable.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I started my golfing career with the ten finger baseball grip. Coming from a baseball/hockey background, at the time it just seemed natural... As time progressed and my game improved I had more than one person tell me to interlock. As most have mentioned, I found in uncomfortable. So I adopted the overlapping grip, or Vardon grip as I've been told?? I find it the most comfortable and works.

I have also experimented with several putting grips, putter lengths and styles over the years. Currently gaming a counter balanced home-made beast with a cross handed (right hand low for a leftie) grip. So far I'm liking this method the best, but I'm always a sucker to tinker!!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Have always used the ten-finger/baseball grip. It's the one that seemed natural from the get go. Have tried the interlocking and the Vardon from time to time. Always reverted to the ten-finger.

Been experienced some minor shanking issues. Had seemed like it was late in a round when I was tired. Went to my "teaching pro".... You Tube... for advice. Had seen all kinds of drills, etc. Nothing really seemed to catch my eye, until this last week. One of the things I watched said if you couldn't see 3 knuckles of your left hand you would shank. The commentator was suggesting a strong grip would cure the shanks, while a weak grip encouraged them.

This morning I really worked on using a stronger grip. My old reliable ten-finger grip just wouldn't work in the stronger position. Went interlock. Probably hit my irons and wedges cleaner than in weeks. The grip change really screwed up my driver, though. Will play with it some more tomorrow. Hopefully, I can use the cold weather season to transition and begin next season with a new, shank-proof, grip.

Anders_H

mmmm, beer
Mar 12, 2015
Gavle
Country
Sweden Sweden
Vardon, thinking about trying the interlocking grip. Had jumbo grips on my previous set, midsize now and my hands might be a bit too big..

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Vardon, thinking about trying the interlocking grip. Had jumbo grips on my previous set, midsize now and my hands might be a bit too big..

Watch out. If you use interlocking (just like Tiger), maybe you'll hit fairways - just like Tiger. [emoji16]

🔥 Latest posts