• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Grip tape that activates with soapy water?

VA Park Ranger

Supporting Member
Feb 8, 2014
Green Bay Virginia
Country
United States United States
Has anyone used this? IMO it sucks. I mixed up the soapy water, then tried to stick the grip on. What a PITA the soapy water made the grip so slick you couldn't slide it. After finally getting it on, about 3,weeks later, and the center of the grip is loose. Ends are stuck, but the middle, where your lower hand would be id completely free floating. Makes for interesting drives to be sure.

Any advice on this one, or just go get regular tape?

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I've never installed a grip, but it sounds like you need to start over with better tape to me. Can you get it off without tearing it?

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Advice? Cut the grip off. Use air compressor to blow on the grip.

If you don't have an air compressor, is cut the grip off and put a new one on with tape and mineral spirits.

Never use soapy water, seemed like it would take to long to dry.

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
Has anyone used this? IMO it sucks. I mixed up the soapy water, then tried to stick the grip on. What a PITA the soapy water made the grip so slick you couldn't slide it. After finally getting it on, about 3,weeks later, and the center of the grip is loose. Ends are stuck, but the middle, where your lower hand would be id completely free floating. Makes for interesting drives to be sure.

Any advice on this one, or just go get regular tape?

I've used water activated grip tape several times and it sounds to me like maybe you misinterpreted how to install..? One side is sticky like tape and that goes on the shaft (or build up tape). Once on, you spray the tape with soapy water and slide your grip on. If this is how you installed it, I have no idea but I have never had issues with golfworks water activated tape.

I've also blown on several grips and this works very well too. I prefer the air compressor method because I do a ton of tinkering and it saves me money.

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
What sort of air compressor is needed for grip install and removal?
I need to look into this as I often want to remove grips but right now all I can do is cut them which sucks sometimes.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
What sort of air compressor is needed for grip install and removal?
I need to look into this as I often want to remove grips but right now all I can do is cut them which sucks sometimes.

One that compresses...

But seriously, even the smallest pancake style compressor for $100 will do just fine. Turn it down to about 30ish lbs I think and that's about right. More than that and you'll blow up grips...which is funny, but costs money.

Just get a nozzle, shove it in the hole in the grip, press the lever and do what ya gotta do.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Pump hairspray is all you need for an install. Lubricates and allows the grip to slide on easily and then dries and the grip will not move.

OP
VA Park Ranger

VA Park Ranger

Supporting Member
Feb 8, 2014
Green Bay Virginia
Country
I've used water activated grip tape several times and it sounds to me like maybe you misinterpreted how to install..? One side is sticky like tape and that goes on the shaft (or build up tape). Once on, you spray the tape with soapy water and slide your grip on. If this is how you installed it, I have no idea but I have never had issues with golfworks water activated tape.

I've also blown on several grips and this works very well too. I prefer the air compressor method because I do a ton of tinkering and it saves me money.

I followed the directions. It called for dish soap or shampoo to be added to the water.

OP
VA Park Ranger

VA Park Ranger

Supporting Member
Feb 8, 2014
Green Bay Virginia
Country
20141218_190541.jpg
Got this at Lowes based on a few browses through past posts. This stuck her ass! Mineral spirits to de tack just like the strips you get from RockBottomGolf.com. Removal may be a challenge, but I've had good luck with WD 40 or Goo Gone even on old like 5 year old tape.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
This compressor method to install and remove grips seems like a good idea. Are there any special tips or adapters needed and will it work for most/all grips?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.