• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

gripping w/o tape nor solvent?

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
i think i'm gonna get a new set of shafts for my irons. it wasn't my idea, but Ez is making me pull out my credit card...

anyways, i read here somewhere about gripping grips w/ air instead of conventional double sided tape and solvent?

is this good idea? i tried to search for that topic and couldn't find it.

oh and what's the difference b/w ribbed grips and regular grips?

thanks!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Ribbed grips have peices of cord embedded in them for grip in wet conditions. Unless it's raining all the time, they're pretty much just usefull for ripping apart your gloves.

Half ribbed are decent, but again, the gloves.

I've read of guys doing it with an air compressor, but I've never tried it myself. For the money, i'd stick with the tape and solvent. You can buy an entire kit from GS for like 15 bucks.

R35

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I dont use tape and solvent at all anymore. However if you dont have a compressor and air attachment then tape and solvent is still the way to go.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Suction, and the fact they fit tight to begin with.

I will post a vid tomorrow of me removing and installing a grip with air.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Ribbed grips have peices of cord embedded in them for grip in wet conditions. Unless it's raining all the time, they're pretty much just usefull for ripping apart your gloves.

Half ribbed are decent, but again, the gloves.

I've read of guys doing it with an air compressor, but I've never tried it myself. For the money, i'd stick with the tape and solvent. You can buy an entire kit from GS for like 15 bucks.

R35

Uuhhhhhh...... No? Those are cord grips your thinking of there Rock.

Ribbed grips are wat are also known as "reminder" grips. They have a extra bit of rubber on the inside of the grip to keep your hands on the bottom of the grip in the "right" spot. So on the bottom of the grip, there is a Rib protruding from the grip.

Ribs wont do any extra damage to your gloves.

OP
twofast2s

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
icic.. thanks for the reply guys.

i do have air compressors and air attachments. that's why i asked. can't wait to see the video.

so ribbed grips good? bad? or more of preference?

thanks again!

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
tape is good if you like standard grips with one layer,on standard S300s no tape at all will be very thin unless you use midsize grips,imho

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Totally preference. IMO i cant stand it being under my fingers on the underneath of my grips.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Uuhhhhhh...... No? Those are cord grips your thinking of there Rock.

Ribbed grips are wat are also known as "reminder" grips. They have a extra bit of rubber on the inside of the grip to keep your hands on the bottom of the grip in the "right" spot. So on the bottom of the grip, there is a Rib protruding from the grip.

Ribs wont do any extra damage to your gloves.

Yes. Yes, this is correct.

WTF was I on when I typed all that out?:hunter:

Thanks SP.

R35

Pullmeister

Dec 6, 2006
Round grips let you open or close your clubface at adress a lot easier than ribbed grips do. Ribbed grips more or less lock your hands into one position on the club. As an added bonus round grips like Crosslines, Tour Wraps, Velvets ETC dont really even have to be aligned

FWIW installing grips by tape and solvent couldnt be easier to do. A $10 roll of tape will easily last for 75+ regrips.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
icic.. thanks for the reply guys.

i do have air compressors and air attachments. that's why i asked. can't wait to see the video.

so ribbed grips good? bad? or more of preference?

thanks again!

Dangit. Where were you when I cut the Durometer off my driver. It was only like a week and a half old.

OP
twofast2s

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
Dangit. Where were you when I cut the Durometer off my driver. It was only like a week and a half old.

oh man.. my dad is into construction so i have lotz of tools..

i just bought a polishing wheels so i can bling my clubs if i want to.
i also have nail guns.. but i don't know how i'm gonna use it to reshaft and regrip my clubs.. but...:idhitit:

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Video's to follow shortly.

Step one : remove the old grip. If they havent been installed by air, I dont bother trying to save them as it is time consuming and doesnt work more than 1/2 the time. I know other say they save 90%, but if it takes me 20 minutes to remove a grip I feel I have gained nothing in doing so.

Step two - remove the old tape and clean the shaft.\

Step three - Apply a layer of masking tape to the shaft. I wind mine on leaving about an 1/8 of an inch between passes. This will give the same feel as using the normal tape and solvent method. Apply additional layers if build up is needed.

Step four - dip the tip of the grip is soapy water and slide it on the butt. Install with air.

Very easy.

PS - use 50lbs of air pressure

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Heres 2 videos. First one is of a grip going on, second one is of the same grip coming off. I froze my nuts off to do this, damn shop is an ice box. Sorry about the quality of the vidoe, and the sloppy install but my hands were frozen and I wasnt about to do a re-take LOL.
Any questions, feel free to ask

🔥 Latest posts