• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Grips of Choice

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Put another grip on today with air. Found out after you remove the tape you also need to clean off the glue from the tape. Otherwise they don't go on very well. And my 3 gallon 1 hp 125psi compressor isn't that great.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Put another grip on today with air. Found out after you remove the tape you also need to clean off the glue from the tape. Otherwise they don't go on very well. And my 3 gallon 1 hp 125psi compressor isn't that great.

Acetone on a rag will make that quick work.

I had no problem with a little pancake compressor...I think mine was a 5gallon...but it shouldn't really take that much air.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I have a grip removal question.

Anyhoo, the other day I took my 3 new gripmaster (fancy kangaroo hide) grips to my proshop to have them fitted. It was raining cats and dogs at the time and the course was closed. I turned up as the pro was about to shut the shop early. He's not a bad fellow and he agreed to stay back and fit the 3 grips. When he tried to fit them using double sided tape underneath he was unsuccessful. He said that he would have to glue them on. So, he had to drive down to a fitting shed on course which is about 100 yards or so away. I waited in the pro shop.

He comes back and says here they are. I paid him $10 for the job and away I go. Then that night when I pulled the 3 clubs out of my bag to have a look at them, I find he's fitted all 3 grips with the seam pointing 90 degrees to the left. I noticed that a grip logo was facing uppermost, so he must've used the logo as his indicator when fitting. Perhaps his hastiness to close the shop was the cause of his oversight.

I held the grips and couldn't feel the seam. In other words, the seam 'pointing to the left' made no difference. The only difference would be if you were a bit OCD and wanted it pointing downwards like is normally the case. I played in a tourney the day after and confirmed that there's no difference to the feel of the grip. You can't feel the seem when gripping the club.

My question is:
  1. Would you take the clubs back and ask the pro to re-grip them so the seam is pointing 'downwards?'
  2. Would it even be possible to do so without damaging the grips? Remember, he told me he had to glue the grips on.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I've never heard of grips being glued on, but then, I've never heard of kangaroo hide grips either.

I'm guessing they would have to be destroyed to be removed. Unless he blew them on with air and just called it 'gluing' them on.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Kangaroo hide grips? Do they smell bad after a few weeks? Maggots? Ain't never been close enough to a kangaroo to even think about using their hide for golf grips.

1.) Not used to seeing grips with the reminder rib 90 degrees to the logo. Most reminder rib grips I've seen have the rib 180 degrees from the logo. If the person was not familiar with the rib not being at 180 degrees, I could see his error happen.
2.) If he used some sore of contact cement to glue the grips onto the shaft, ya ain't gonna save 'em. If it bothers you, you'll probably need to purchase more grips and see if the person will assist with some of the cost. At least he might cut the old grips off and install the replacement grips at no cost.
3.) I do not like reminder rib grips. I'm too anal about wondering if the rib is EXACTLY placed the same on all clubs. I would much rather depend on my eyes and feel of where the clubface is pointing than to try to remember which reminder rib is two hair widths to the left or right of another.

IOW, I'd be tickled pink to have the ribs to the left and unable to be felt. I'd also have to keep the clubs in the truck or at the course so the dog wouldn't smell the kangaroo and constantly bark at them!!!

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Correction: No, these grips don’t smell like a stinky carcass. There’s no smell. They’re a soft leather feel and slightly tacky. They react to moisture by becoming more tacky. Absolutely brilliant grips. Grip Master. Check them out.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Glue them on? Seriously? Sounds like you HAVE to leave them on.

Yep, I took them back to the Pro shop yesterday. The owner is away for a week. The others there laughed and shook their head when They saw what the pro shop owner had done. One other pro tried to blow them off with an Air gun but couldn’t. He said it looks like I’m owed three new grips.

🔥 Latest posts