• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Grips of Choice

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Correction: No, these grips don’t smell like a stinky carcass. There’s no smell. They’re a soft leather feel and slightly tacky. They react to moisture by becoming more tacky. Absolutely brilliant grips. Grip Master. Check them out.

It looks like a U.S. leather grip company has sprung up as a competitor to Grip Master.

Based in Texas. Best Grips: Genuine Leather Golf Grips and Covers Made in the USA

whybest.png

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
I use the Vardon grip. :D
Used to be a lot of Vardon's around when I was growing up. Mangy pests. Ate chickens and possums. We'd hang 'em up in the barn and skin 'em while they was still livin'. Turn 'em back loose and they'd grow the skin right back. Had a few of them hung around the barnyard and I swear we skinned 'em four or five times. Never thought about makin' golf grips. Used the hides for useful things like underwear. I can still remember the soft... the very soft... the cuddly soft... feel of that Vardon fur on my..... Excuse me. I need to go take care of some business. Be right back.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I wanted to try blowing on the grips with something underneath because with the regular grips I felt they might not be to size and it recommended doing that on the SpeedyGrip gun I tried. So I popped off the Lamkin Z5 tour taper grips (no tape on shaft) with air (works great!) and put on some clear 2" wide duct tape I bought that was the right thickness. I didn't want to use painters tape because I wanted the tape to be more permanent so that in the future I can just use air to remove and replace the grips and no fooling with tape anymore. Grips blew back on with the tape just great and I'm a happy camper. This is fun! (Especially since we can't golf yet up here). :p And the SpeedyGrip gun works much better then the Pure grip gun and at lower PSI.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
I wanted to try blowing on the grips with something underneath because with the regular grips I felt they might not be to size and it recommended doing that on the SpeedyGrip gun I tried. So I popped off the Lamkin Z5 tour taper grips (no tape on shaft) with air (works great!) and put on some clear 2" wide duct tape I bought that was the right thickness. I didn't want to use painters tape because I wanted the tape to be more permanent so that in the future I can just use air to remove and replace the grips and no fooling with tape anymore. Grips blew back on with the tape just great and I'm a happy camper. This is fun! (Especially since we can't golf yet up here). :p And the SpeedyGrip gun works much better then the Pure grip gun and at lower PSI.
Duct tape is kind of "glossy" on the outside (slippery-ish). I hope the grips stick ok. The rubber inside of most grips will stick really well to steel, graphite, and most any tape that is rough on the outside like masking tape, friction tape, etc. Do NOT use electrical tape. I never tried duct tape to build up diameter.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I didn't notice it going on any easier then with no tape and couldn't budge them pulling on the grip so will find out.

Last edited:

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
Old fashioned me - Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G in midsize. My fav.

s-l1600.jpg
Me too. I switched to Tour Wrap Midsize a couple of years ago. They are great for us seniors and are very reasonably priced. I tried Winn grips and they didn't hold up very well.

Fairway Ray

Mar 11, 2018
Country
Lamkin Crossline Midsize. I notice you guys talking about blowing on grips. I used to make my own clubs. Had a set of irons for each day of the week. Had a complete shop in the basement with L and L machine, a frequency analyzer, etc... I always blew on grips. No tape, no special attachment for blowing on grips. Just a standard blow gun.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I've put on some grips using different methods (air/no tape, air//tape, solvent/tape) and different grips (58 core, 60 core, midsize, standard) and am going to measure the "outside diameter" 4" down from the end of the grip so I can see what the sizes are by diameter where your hand actual goes. The charts and info out there is just a mishmush of useless information. I'm doing this for fun while we still can't golf up here in the tundra.

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
Never could seem to have good luck with Golf Pride. Have used Lamkin for the past umpteen years. Personal pick is the Lamkin Crossline. But, I have never spent the money on the upper end, exotic material grips.

I usually just buy grips as I need them from the local golf shop of from Dick's. Not too long ago, I did place an order directly with Lamkin for some they had on special. When I received the order, along with the grips were a couple bags of tees and an handwritten thank you note. That personal service went a long ways to convince me that I would remain a Lamkin customer.

Sorry! Did not answer your question about the Golf Pride you linked to.

I went to Lamkin midsize crossline for a few years, but back to golf pride.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Some members at our course think the pro shop should stock "a few" grips. We've tried to explain the reality. Some like Golf Pride. Some Lamkin. Some Winn. They you have a number of different materials/styles offered by each manufacturer. In any given brand/style you have standard, midsize, and oversize... which doesn't include something for the ladies. Each brand/style/size needs at least 13 in stock at any one time to regrip an entire set. To cover the three sizes in each brand/style would suggest a minimum of 40 grips each. The three main manufacturers and 3 to 5 styles in each brand... you're well on your way to an initial stock of 500 grips. Then, there are the putter grips.

Someone buys one grip. Now you don't have enough of that style to regrip an entire set. So, when do you place an order for a handful of grips and pay shipping, etc.?

So many golfers have a favorite brand/style and it would be very difficult to satisfy all. I've been extremely negative about the course getting into the grip business. We've got more than enough, now, in balls and gloves and hats and shirts. Let the local Dick's or Golf USA stock the grips.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
sssmokin and I have gone to the GolfPride MCC+4 (STD). Really like them and I see that's what you use according to your sig.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.