• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Happy days,my blog 2007 in pictoral form

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
The good and bad will posted,good start though.None qualifier obviously,whole course was on preffered.Greens were frozen,missed several short putts all but one because of ice jumping the ball off line,2 for birdies,one from only 2 ft

card-feb07-2007.jpg

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
You are a playa!!

All those birdies under those conditions...good show old boy...

Question: Both you and IG have written recently about playing on frozen greens. Over here in the winter, the superintendents forbid play on frozen greens because if you walk on them, your feet will snap the blades. I've seen on many occasions where people have walked on the greens when they were frozen and it literally left footprints that took a couple of weeks to heal.

What kind of grass is on your greens dave?

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
You also notice, like many golfers -myself included- the latter half of the course is better.

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Er,the grass is the green type over here:) No idea what it is,but they always keep the greens open in winter.We have quite mild winters now,average 6 or 7 degrees,but right now we have some hard frosts during the night and the the day temp today didn't get over 2.I missed 3 shortish putts just because they jump off line.Obviously the rules state you can't lift ice,and being a keen observer of rules I just trusted to luck,and got unlucky:)

hard frosts for us maybe a bit tame to some of you in the northern states? -7 last night,first time this winter its been that cold

Jeff

front nine worse because the sun had yet to touch the greens,they were rock hard,they softened slightly towards the end.We played off winter mats level with the whites,so it was a good test.Frigging cold though

alos,I agree with your superintendant.Its im possible to repair pitch marks,the top layer gets defrosted only a couple of millimetres down,the greesn get wrecked.Still,its good to be out there on greens all the same,fairway winter greesn are the pits

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Well, that also. But you see my point, last 3 on front nine=Bogey Par Bogey
First three on back nine=Birdie Par Birdie

Anywho, yeah, it's horrible with the frozen greens and one of the few times when people not repairing their divot marks. I've yet to find out a good way how.

Oh, and our grass is the yellow type now.

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Yeah,much easier holes though back nine,those are 3 tough holes to finish the front

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Whoah, sure enough! A 259 Par 4? My home course has a 279 Par 3! Yikes.

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Doesn't tell the whole story.Big dogleg,oob and jungle left and right,big fairway bunker and a tiny green at the bottom of the hill oob a feet from the back,its a great short hole and many a card have been wrecked on it,still with a good drive its easier than the last three going out.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Very very nice, I love that sort of course. My home course is 7,200 yardage course(and change, from the tips), has some really short holes, that conventionally you could reach in one, but design dictates otherwise.

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
off the ips we will be playing 7100 this year,but the course is harder off the whites at 6700

off the tips all the hazards are taken out,you may be coming in with longer irons but take the forth,it will be 640 this year,which is a oiece of cake with a driver and a 3 wood then short iron.But at 560 all the fairway bunkers come in

thats the problem with lengthening a course for the sake of it,only the big clubs can afford to moce all the hazards as well to the new driving distances

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
damn... been 3 months, and 3 more to go before we can play here

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Where are you VT? Over here we now have winters so mild you can play all the way through it,last year mid Feb we had T-shirts on when the temps hit 12*

these frosty bits are rare and even then the day temps are don't go ,ower than 2,greens stay frozen though

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
dave:

thanks for the reply. Sounds like your winters are similar to ours here...

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Where are you VT? Over here we now have winters so mild you can play all the way through it,last year mid Feb we had T-shirts on when the temps hit 12*

these frosty bits are rare and even then the day temps are don't go ,ower than 2,greens stay frozen though

Burlington, VT USA.
45* N Lattitude. We're actually 10* closer to the equator, so you'd think it would be warmer here, but our climate is not moderated by the Gulf Stream as it is over there. Our golf season runs from April 15 to Oct 15. You can set your watch by it.

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I suppose we are lucky.Our handicap season s the same as yours,but we can play all year now apart from rare icey and snowy days.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.