• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Harvey Penick's Little Red Book

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Harvey Penick's Little Red Book:
Lessons and Teachings from a Lifetime in Golf

I've lived but a short life thus far, and an ever shorter one as a golfer, but I have acquired and read a great deal of golf literature already. Much of it is run of the mill; basic instruction like "point the V's made by your thumb and your forefinger here," or "feel like you're slapping the ball." Penick's book is an entirely different experience. Little Red Book is not so much a book you read to learn golf as it is a book you read to learn Harvey Penick.

Having just finished it, I can say that I wish I could've met this fellow in my life. The origin of the "Little Red Book" is that Harvey carried a notebook throughout his entire professional life, jotting down observations he made as to what always seemed to work and always seemed to fail in a swing. He also made many mental notes to himself, some of which are little rhymes or adages that helped a pupil focus on the game.

The book alternates between fundamental swing thoughts, taglines like the famous, "Take dead aim," and recollections of time spent with outstanding players like Ben Crenshaw, Bobby Jones, Tom Kite, and Ben Hogan.

It is this unique perspective that adds character to the book; Penick's character. By the time you've reached the end, you will feel as though you've just had a long night on your back porch with Harvey, listening to him discuss everything about his life. Surreal as it may be, you can almost guess as to what his voice would sound like. The book is genuinely brimming with personality. What follows is but a single section of the book, many of which are but a single page, some more and some less, out of the 180-page book.

The Easiest Lesson~
The easiest golf lesson I ever gave was to Don January.

Don had been a star player at North Texas State university and a winner on the Texas amateur circuit, a regular round of tournaments that drew so many championship-quality golfers that I could fill up a whole book with their names.

Now Don was wondering if he could make it on the professional tour. He came to see me and asked if I would take a look at his swing and tell him my honest opinion of his game and help correct any flaws.

I watched Don hit a few putts. We went to the practice range. I asked him to hit a half-dozen short irons for me. Then I asked him to hit a half-dozen middle irons, followed by several long irons.

I could tell he was waiting for me to say something. Instead I asked him to hit a few drives.

When he had done so, he turned and said, "Well? What do I need?"

I said, "Don, you need to pack up your clubs and go to California and join the tour."

End of lesson.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
One of the best golf books ever written. There are others (green and blue I know, maybe more) that are similar but short enough that they're still worth reading.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Five Fundamentals, Little Red Book, Golf is not a Game of Perfect are definitely the 3 at the top of my list that I would recommend to every golfer regardless of ability or attention span. Books that should be read over and over over the course of time.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Five Fundamentals, Little Red Book, Golf is not a Game of Perfect are definitely the 3 at the top of my list that I would recommend to every golfer regardless of ability or attention span. Books that should be read over and over over the course of time.
My sentiments exactly.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I can agree with this...and I own/have read all three. Nice call, Pa.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I probably read the Little Red Book at least once a year along with the Blue and the Green. Perfect reading material to get my head straight when I am overthinking my game.

tailStrike

May 4, 2008

Just picked up 5 Lessons and Golf Is Not a Game of Perfect over the weekend. I'll have to check out Little Red Book.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Just picked up 5 Lessons and Golf Is Not a Game of Perfect over the weekend. I'll have to check out Little Red Book.
Just keep in mind that the first two books are meant to be read, while Harvey's book is meant to be referred to. Reading the Little Red Book is like going to church with a really good pastor. You get a small lesson and you think about it for a while. Then next week you go back and get another.

BlackswirlZM

Feb 18, 2009
I don't think we mentioned it enough on this forum, but it's the best haha. You guys also might like Mind Over Golf - Dr. Richard Coop. He's a Psychologist at UNC and has worked with numerous pros. Those two books are the best!

mattyboy

May 11, 2008
Five Fundamentals & Little Red Book were both ok.... just that. Honestly I think both over rated. I really like Bobby Jones on Golf & Break 100 Now: From Hacker to Golfer in Just 90 Days. Both are better reads

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia

My sentiments exactly.

I can agree with this...and I own/have read all three. Nice call, Pa.

I have Five Fundamentals & Golf is not a Game of Perfect. Both great books & will be with me for life. Thanks for the tip about Little Red Book. I saw a hard cover version in perfect condition in a second hand book shop today for $9. It'll be coming home with me tomorrow.
awww.steeleraddicts.com_forum_images_smilies_bigthumb.gif

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I have Five Fundamentals & Golf is not a Game of Perfect. Both great books & will be with me for life. Thanks for the tip about Little Red Book. I saw a hard cover version in perfect condition in a second hand book shop today for $9. It'll be coming home with me tomorrow.
awww.steeleraddicts.com_forum_images_smilies_bigthumb.gif
You'll like it, TR, plus it's a quick read.

Members online

No members online now.